Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd July 2018, 11:43   #1
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Default "I'll get round to that" - the time has come.

The tourer will be going for its MOT next month and I want to get a few non-urgent issues sorted out when it's going in for a pre-test checkup.

Firstly, the driver's window is very stiff, a problem which has worsened since the last time I drove this car. Is it a question of replacing the rubber seal into which the window glass slides, lubricating, something else?

Secondly, the boot latch stopped opening the boot a while back - it's only possible to open it by pressing the boot release switch in the cabin, the one below the bonnet release lever.

Finally, the volume up/down buttons on the steering wheel change the radio channel, rather than the volume. I wonder whether that might be a break in the wiring loom somewhere. Could it be a plug inserted into the wrong location? I would have thought that each one would only fit into the slot it was meant for, but I'm no expert.

Being a Classic, there's not much else to go wrong ... fingers crossed! Any suggestions as to a likely cause and solution for any of the above would be very welcome.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:39   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

None of your issues form part of the MOT inspection. But you ought to spend the proposed time checking over the brakes, lights, tyres, etc., that will be checked. Download the MOT Manual so you know what's needed.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 15:43   #3
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Oh I know that none of them are an issue for the MOT itself, but seeing as I'll be taking the car to the mechanic before the test anyway I may as well get them addressed. If I know beforehand whether I've to order anything then it saves making two appointments etc.
Old 24th July 2018, 12:01   #4
Lord of Hog
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 V6 in Wedgwood Blue

I had a stiff driver's window on one of my other cars and fixed it with a good dollop of silicone spray in the guides.

Conformity is not morality.
Consensus is not truth.
Lord of Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018, 20:40   #5
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Yup, silicone spray on the window rubbers and grease on the cable cured the window issue. The non-functioning external boot release is a suspected pressure sensor at the handle - I was told that any deeper exploration would involve cutting into the seal around the handle, and since the release button in the cabin and the glass hatch opens without difficulty, I think I'll leave that for the time being. There wasn't time to check the other stuff yet and I might have to put them back on the long finger now, as I've bigger fish to fry since someone reversed into the bumper of my other car ...