Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th June 2009, 20:21   #1
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Default Just had Dogs trust bloke at the door.

Just had a bloke at the door collecting sponsorship for dogs trust and he had some stories to tell of the dogs he was trying to gain sponsorship for. One he was presenting was found tied to a park bench with two broken legs. They found the owner and he is now in jail. He said that the dog was just disobedient.
The dog was born deaf.
I cannot even imagine how somebody could be that cruel or hard to a living creature. It is sickening.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:28   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Indeed it IS sickening Phil...but then he was there to obtain money for the trust after all...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 20:29   #3
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Indeed it IS sickening Phil...but then he was there to obtain money for the trust after all...
They do a lot of good work though and I don't doubt if it is a true story, but the hard work needs to be paid for.
Old 24th June 2009, 20:31   #4
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
They do a lot of good work though and I don't doubt if it is a true story, but the hard work needs to be paid for.

Most true...but I am ill at ease with the manipulative nature of the stories these organisations tell for financial gain...
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 21:36   #5
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

The Dogs Trust does a lot of good work Phil well done on posting up. As for the tale he told you I would agree it was probably true.

Thankfully some people care enough to help this charity
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 21:40   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
The Dogs Trust does a lot of good work Phil well done on posting up. As for the tale he told you I would agree it was probably true.

Thankfully some people care enough to help this charity
Agree may be true but take Zeb's point as well.

Read Phil's post and you think of the poor animal, then read Zebs reply and realise we are all open to emotional blackmail.

This forum is invaluable when you need to see both sides

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 21:47   #7
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Agree may be true but take Zeb's point as well.

Read Phil's post and you think of the poor animal, then read Zebs reply and realise we are all open to emotional blackmail.

This forum is invaluable when you need to see both sides
I think you may have got me wrong Dave. I certainly wasn't having a go at Zeb I was answering Phils post, my comment about people caring enough to help was because its a charity that I support along with others.

If I was having a go at anyone I would have 'quoted' the post I was not happy with.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 21:56   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

No Ken I agree entirely with your sentiments and feelings, I am an animal lover just as you, I feel for the animal but I was also quickly reminded in the ways of the world by Zebs post.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 08:26   #9
Platemaker
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

Get offf uh my land!!!! Have you got a brand new combine harvester

I stood and listened to the Shelter chugger last year, it was around Christmas on a Friday evening around eight o,clock at night and I had already had a few . Whilst I sympathise with them I would much rather buy a copy of the Big issue for £30, (which I have done).

Last edited by Simon; 25th June 2009 at 22:26.. Reason: Reference to another post removed for continuity
Platemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 08:50   #10
Platemaker
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

And another thing, all this sponsorship bothers me, sponsor a dog , sponsor a monkey,seal,whale.
I mean, how do you really know? or do you just ignore the voice in the back f your mind that keeps telling you that yu not entirley sure that this months monkey photo is any different to last months? I wonder when we will introduce "sponsor a tramp"??

The thing is , it just undermines peoples control and choice and it is after all just that a choice, now you are being "sold" a product to pay for as if you didn't already know that all this suffering existed.
I more than happy to give some of my money to any of the organisations that fund neo-natal for example and a plethora of charities do well out of my small change in shops, but none of them have got my bank details.

We are all of course very familiar with a UK wide charity that we have been involuntarily paying into for years, currently know as CHAVS but they have been known under other names. "Sponsor a chav"

hey, they might even send you a picture of him in his Vauxhall Nova every month, burning up the fuel that you and I paid for!

Platemaker is offline   Reply With Quote