Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2008, 19:54   #1
Frobs
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Cdti+135 Gunmetal Grey

Unhappy Another Cdti non starter

Hi All,
Was hoping my next post was going to be to report an improvement in mpg through fitment of PB MAF.

But no, havent driven much this week, and went to nip across town earlier - and it wouldnt start. Turns over, and no firing. There was absolutley no sign at all of this happening before. It has always started first hit in the 6 weeks or so Ive had the car. I was pretty sure I could hear the tank pump working when I bought the car)

So, having searched the forums, I guess that in the morning I need to clonk the under bonnet pump and try again. Plus listening for signs of life under the rear seat.

My question is what is now the accepted best route for a long term solution. Is it to do the pug mod, or go for an upgraded in tank pump. (Mines a pre-facelift)

From the threads I'm not quite sure if theres a conclusion yet ?

(Now Ive got to break it to Mrs Frobs - she doesnt know yet, and is already complaining about buying cars when there's decorating to be done etc This was supposed to be more reliable then my old Mondeo - BMW engine and all that)
Old 14th March 2008, 19:58   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Mine did the same thing two months ago..........turned over but wouldn't fire. Gave the under bonnet pump a light tap and (touch wood) it's started first time everytime since.

If you have a hunt through, Jules dismantled an under bonnet pump, and they do seem to wear quiet badly. Mines on 133K so I can't really complain.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 20:36   #3
Frobs
Avid contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Mine did the same thing two months ago..........turned over but wouldn't fire. Gave the under bonnet pump a light tap and (touch wood) it's started first time everytime since.
Well, just told the Missus and armed with torch, looked for things under the bonnet that seemed to have fuel going to them. Following a light tap session of various things - with the torch - sure enough that did the trick.

However, I did notice while peering around under there with the torch, that there was some wetness on the bits and pieces around the EGR return pipe. As I had cleaned the EGR out a couple of weeks ago, maybe I somehow dislodged something in the region of the underside of the fuel filter. So, I'll have the engine cover off in the morning, have a clean out of the PCV valve as planned, and see whats what. Maybe if I did dislodge something, and the car was stood about doin nowt for a longer than normal time, it could have got a bit of an airlock inside the pump. But I suspect I could well do a pre-emptive pug pump mod before I get stuck in the wrond end of the country or something.

THANKS

But feeling rather better now
Old 15th March 2008, 03:32   #4
geordieskin

rover 75 saloon

i have the same problem,where abouts is the under bonnet pump,is it obvious?cheers.
geordieskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 19:59   #5
Frobs
Avid contributor

Cleaned the PCV valve today. Will probably get a new one later in the year. But it wasnt too clagged up, and cleaning with thinners seemed to work OK.

But the car failed to start a couple of times again, so I guess I need to replace a pump. Question is, which one, or both ? I've had a listen under the rear seat, and I cant hear anything when the igintion s on, so I think it is pretty clear that the intank pump has given up. The under bonnet one sounds really loud, and struggling.

I plan to get a Pug pump - which the how-to says is pug 406 part no.1525Y3. Question is, how long should I allow to fit ? I need the car in operation every day but Tuesday this week, so I need to get the part AND fit it on Monday - I hope there is time.

I understand that the Pug pump is slightly more powerful than the standard one. So I am hoping that that the extra umph means the under bonnet pump will have an easy life !!

Any comments from the seasoned campaigners ?
Old 15th March 2008, 21:04   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

If you are on a budget the pug pump is the route to follow
read Efretis howto and perhaps send him a pm for timings
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2008, 22:07   #7
Frobs
Avid contributor

Thanks Keith,
I cant bring myself to spend over £200 when I can spend half that. Perhaps I'm half Scottish.
Old 16th March 2008, 06:02   #8
ikorodu
Loves to post

Rover 75 Facelift Conn SE Tourer CDTi Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordieskin View Post
i have the same problem,where abouts is the under bonnet pump,is it obvious?cheers.
See the following link for a piccy with the pump's position marked.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...8&postcount=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobs View Post
Thanks Keith,
I cant bring myself to spend over £200 when I can spend half that. Perhaps I'm half Scottish.
The Under bonnet pump (WQB100482) seems to be around £159 + VAT from dealers, but this one on ebay is £159 inc VAT.

By the way have you read this thread? The OP here used a 306 pump motor this may be even cheaper. Good luck with the repairs and take pictures if you can, we like pictures!

Rob
ikorodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2008, 08:18   #9
Frobs
Avid contributor

Thanks ikorodu, I'll try to remember taking the camera along !
I did read the post about the 306 pump. Great timing (sort of) I shall give it a go
Old 16th March 2008, 10:08   #10
MGOracle
Banned

MG ZT CDTi 135+

The underbonnet pump makes a very distinctive noise for a good 30seconds to a minute when the ignition is first turned on. If its making the noise its likely to be working fine.
MGOracle is offline   Reply With Quote