Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2008, 19:24   #11
Frobs
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Cdti+135 Gunmetal Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOracle View Post
The underbonnet pump makes a very distinctive noise for a good 30seconds to a minute when the ignition is first turned on. If its making the noise its likely to be working fine.
Sounds like I'm doing the right thing then. I have noticed the underbonnet pump get a lot louder, but I guess that is just a symtom of its in tank buddy giving up....
Old 17th March 2008, 09:13   #12
Frobs
Avid contributor

Well, PUG pump on order (406 style), due about 3:00 pm. So will get the old one out after lunch and get ready for the change over. Heres hoping it turns up on time !!
Old 17th March 2008, 21:42   #13
Frobs
Avid contributor

Just a quick post to say that all was no straight forward with the Pug motor change. I actually went for the 406 pump, but I'm not sure if what was delivered was actually right.

For one thing, the diameter of the pump / motor body was at least a couple of mm less than the Rover pump - although it did end up fairly well jammed in place.

It also isnt clear in the "how to" as to what happens to the black strainer on the bottom. It reads as though you re-fit the nice black one that came with the original. But, this simply didnt fit to the bottom of the Pug pump I had, so I had to fit the plastic rubbishy thing that came with the new one. (Fortunately I didnt break it dissasembling it)

But other than that, the "how to" is very very good. I also didnt take D2 out. Instead I cut the tube away from the pump, leaving about a third of the transparent bit to use again. To re-fit, I found it was far too stiff to push onto the spigot, so I boiled a cup of water and dunked the end in for 30 secs or so - that went well, especially as I didnt spill it into the tank , and a small jub clip is now holding it in place.

I'll attempt to post some pics I took, but will have to wait until next week as I am really busy till them. It took me about 2.75 hours to do

I am now just wondering how careful I need to be when running low on fuel, as I doubt that the pump is sucking at as a point as low as before.

I'll see what paperwork came with the new pump, but it was definitley a Bosch. Is that what others got ? - it did look from a distance identical to the how too.

So thanks to all for the help (incl getting the back seat out). I am at least now up and running with no funny noises coming from the front.

Last edited by Frobs; 17th March 2008 at 21:44..
Frobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:16   #14
Frobs
Avid contributor

Just for completeness, and to help out anyone with similar symptoms.

Before I changed the in-tank pump, the car needed the thud on the under bonnet pump approx 1 out of three starting attempts. After the pug pump replacement it is failing about once in 12 attempts.

So I am guessing that the underbonnet one is on the blink too. So I guess that s one for the weekend. Anyone got any advice on the best source / way to do the job. (Seems straightforward from a distance, and no "how to", so it must be obvious.

I just hope that is isnt the in-tank pump failing to deliver delivering the required pressure.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:18   #15
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Try and find Jules thread on the under bonnet pump. He ripped one to bits to see where it failed.........they basically wear out.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:41   #16
Frobs
Avid contributor

Thanks Greeners.
I struggle with searching the forums sometimes. Perhaps there should be a "how to".

Anyway, managed to track down the thread and am currently receiving emails from partsgateway - nice one - love this site ""
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:04   #17
Frobs
Avid contributor

Very latest is that now the car will not start at all. The underbonnet pump now makes no noise when ignition is on, so I guess it is goosed.

Good job I started looking for parts through partsgateway - although it says everyone is out of stock - other than Roverbreakers at £146-00

Yikes !!

Anyone got any better ideas
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:06   #18
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobs View Post
Very latest is that now the car will not start at all. The underbonnet pump now makes no noise when ignition is on, so I guess it is goosed.

Good job I started looking for parts through partsgateway - although it says everyone is out of stock - other than Roverbreakers at £146-00

Yikes !!

Anyone got any better ideas

Try ECP (ECP2004 on ebay)
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:38   #19
Frobs
Avid contributor

Thanks Greeners,
Best price was £146 inc VAT and delivery. So I talked to our local parts place, and they matched the price ( List was £158+VAT) so I think I got a good deal. I jest thought they were a bit cheaper.

Looks pretty straightforward to change the pump. Any special tips from anyone ?

Also, I havent disconnected / reconnected the battery before. Is there anything that I need to know about that (ie alarms, ECU, BCU etc )

Cheers
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:44   #20
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Just make sure if you've got satnav, the red light is off before you disconnect the battery, and that you've got the radio code.

I'm pretty sure its an easy change, but no doubt someoen who's don it will give you some pointers....