Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th July 2020, 15:43   #11
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Hmm, anyway.

I cycle as much as I can to and from work; I don't particularly like it because there are so many plonkers driving cars who cannot judge distances. They hover around like idiots just behind the cyclist, then veer onto the other side of the road, even causing other vehicles to swerve. How they can ever park in a car park, I do not know.

There are some stupid cyclists out there, but cycling is an introduction to road use and roadcraft, which hopefully will benefit a lot of people later in life, or when they get their licence back.

There are many times as a thinking cyclist when the provided markings and control are unnecessary and hinder progress, and are a waste of money. My local Borough created a massive cycle path on a road little used by cyclists and it must have cost a fortune, but the fact that the end of that road has flooded during rain for the last twenty-five years seems to be of no importance. On the next road, they marked a cycle lane on a half mile section, on the footpath, and each junction has deep gulleys which means one has to stop each time, not too well thought out.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 16:22   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
That particular stretch of A2 was rather expensive (16.2 million if I recall), with a lot of people losing land and homes, not to mention the four years of disruption of its construction. It is rather fantastic piece of road, and a spectacular piece of cycle lane which is actually swept on a regular basis (!!). This is the issue I have. When such provisions are made (like the cyclops) for cyclists, yet they are ignored to the detriment of the other road users, I will make minimal provision to those who ignore my right to the road. (I know it is different to adhoc cycle lanes).

The titanic quarter cycle lanes, are near to my work (they are even safer in some places with kerbs to enclose the lane). I have been knocked over once, and nearly knocked over on another occasion because of the non use of cycle lane and a cyclist ignoring the red light on it.

I'm not sure whether you mean a rider didn't use the cycle lane so wasn't obeying the cycle lane lights but the normal road markings and lights. Or once was a cycle on the road and not the cycle lane and once was a cyclist using the cycle lane but ignoring the lights?

I'm not angry at all car drivers, not even all Mercedes drivers for causing me to spend 6 weeks in hospital 30 years ago. It was a single bad driver. While many car drivers are poor and barely achieve the standard required to pass the driving test, some are much worse - but each on their own merit. Merely using the road in front of me isn't enough to tar them all with the same brush.

Quote:
As I said, I will do the bare minimum in these situations so as not to damage my car (think of that. If I do not damage my car, I do not damage other users). But I certainly will not make the effort to change lanes, to pass. If you fall into my path at that point, I have fulfilled my obligation (by doing the bare minimum), you did not even do the bare minimum by using the provided cycle lane. I will try to avoid, but I am trying to avoid the damage to my vehicle at that point not the selfish entitled idiot avoiding the cycle lane.

Provided the 'bare minimum' is 1.5metres then you're fine - unless you do run someone over. In which case it's not going to do much for your day either.
About 3 times a year a driver will be stupid enough for me to report them to the police (usually by overly agressive driving). I never know what comes of any particular complaint, but I do know that our county force take multiple reports on the same driver quite seriously and do pay some a visit to caution them.

Quote:
Just for the record, I am not spluttering or bleating like some kind of daily mail reader offended by an immigrant working in my local fast food take away.

Yes; you are.

Quote:
I do get annoyed about the loss of road width for road use, when it is repurposed and ignored.

I get annoyed at the loss of road width which would otherwise facilitate faster or more efficient traffic as well. However except where prohibited (i.e. Motorways) bicycles continue to have the right to use the road. You don't have to like it, but you should respect all other road users, and take particular care to give 'vulnerable' road users plenty of space. You should read and abide by the current Highway code 204-225.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2020, 16:52   #13
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I'm not sure whether you mean a rider didn't use the cycle lane so wasn't obeying the cycle lane lights but the normal road markings and lights. Or once was a cycle on the road and not the cycle lane and once was a cyclist using the cycle lane but ignoring the lights?

I was crossing the road at a pelican crossing, two lanes of cars, both stopped. The cycle lane adjacent (which is half the footpath) slopes from the footpath into the green box at the stop line of the traffic lights, ie the cycles are expected to obey the traffic lights. I had the 'green man', cyclist at a fair rate passes between the cars (not from the cycle lane) and into me. I didnt fall over, but did stumble, and was told 'to watch where I was going'. If I had seen him, I would have gladly have pushed him out of my path!

I know that is but one cyclist. But it is these entitled cyclists, that are the ones who ignore the cycle lanes (even the thought out ones!). I will tar them with the same brush, as they demonstrate their entitlement by ignoring these cycle lanes (the one on the opposite side of the road to my example above, is less well thought out, but there is room to travel on both directions on the good one). That is a tale as a pedestrian of course.

But I did see a crash, where a cyclist rode into the side of an Audi, who was coming from the junction at the same place. Denting the Audi. The Audi had a green light, but the cyclist ploughed ahead. The lady in the Audi looked left, right, and then left again. THUMP. The cyclist didnt slow. The Audi driver didnt see expect him to break the traffic light.

I'm not angry at all car drivers, not even all Mercedes drivers for causing me to spend 6 weeks in hospital 30 years ago. It was a single bad driver. While many car drivers are poor and barely achieve the standard required to pass the driving test, some are much worse - but each on their own merit. Merely using the road in front of me isn't enough to tar them all with the same brush.

Provided the 'bare minimum' is 1.5metres then you're fine - unless you do run someone over. In which case it's not going to do much for your day either.
About 3 times a year a driver will be stupid enough for me to report them to the police (usually by overly agressive driving). I never know what comes of any particular complaint, but I do know that our county force take multiple reports on the same driver quite seriously and do pay some a visit to caution them.

Yes; you are.

I get annoyed at the loss of road width which would otherwise facilitate faster or more efficient traffic as well. However except where prohibited (i.e. Motorways) bicycles continue to have the right to use the road. You don't have to like it, but you should respect all other road users, and take particular care to give 'vulnerable' road users plenty of space. You should read and abide by the current Highway code 204-225.
Believe it or not, I do actually adhere to all of those rules above. I am protecting my car just as much as other road users. Turning left for instance, in two lanes beside a lorry. I will not move until the lorry has passed me, giving them room to turn if they need it - protecting my vehicle.

I do go 'above and beyond' respecting those who respect me. Those who dont, they get the bare minimum that will protect me, they can protect themselves after that.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote