Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th July 2020, 20:06   #21
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Or house prices just to increase in value at the annual rate of inflation.

The spiraling above inflation prices rises does not do you any good unless you want to sell up and live in a tent.

Example
100K house increases in price by 15% - now worth £115K

But, what I would really like is a £200K house, however that now costs £200K + 15% now equals £230K

So, 1 year ago I was £100K away from my dream house - now I am £115K away !
Agree. The system is set up to reward those who control 'printing' the fiat currency in the central banks. By the time the currency units (pounds, euros, dollars etc) reaches those at the bottom in the 'main street' economy, they're already depreciated in purchasing power. There is no real money in the vaults of most banks. Real money is gold (J P Morgan). When you apply for a mortgage, the currency is literally 'magicked' into existence on a digital ledger. Henry Ford once said that if the American people truly understood how the Banking System worked there would be riots in the streets. Interesting how Theresa May said to a nurse 'there is no magic money tree' to fund a £1 billion pay rise for the nurses. Yet there is apparently a magic money tree that's already found over 500 billion to combat Covid-19. Now if we had actually joined the Euro and lost the ability to print the pound we'd have been even more royally scr**d by the financial black swan caused by Covid! Britain must never give up our ability to create currency according to the national imperative. Joining the euro would have made us a vassal state with our hands held out in an emergency like Oliver Twist! All modern central banks target 2% inflation, but miss the target regularly on both sides of the equation. This is part of the reason for boom and bust. Inflation hurts the common person. Increases in house prices are largely caused by inflation compounding which harms the first time buyer. The apparent capital gains accruing to the housing market are largely illusory. The value of the houses didn't go up, it was the value of the currency that went down. Rant over

Last edited by edwardmk; 9th July 2020 at 20:15..
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 21:04   #22
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

This thread has turned sour?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 22:34   #23
tantallon
Gets stuck in

ROVER 75 SALOON

[QUOTE=macafee2;2823968]This thread has turned sour?

Thats because people are obsessed with asset value .A classic case of "IM ALRIGHT JACK"
tantallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2020, 06:26   #24
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Agree. The system is set up to reward those who control 'printing' the fiat currency in the central banks. By the time the currency units (pounds, euros, dollars etc) reaches those at the bottom in the 'main street' economy, they're already depreciated in purchasing power. There is no real money in the vaults of most banks. Real money is gold (J P Morgan). When you apply for a mortgage, the currency is literally 'magicked' into existence on a digital ledger. Henry Ford once said that if the American people truly understood how the Banking System worked there would be riots in the streets. Interesting how Theresa May said to a nurse 'there is no magic money tree' to fund a £1 billion pay rise for the nurses. Yet there is apparently a magic money tree that's already found over 500 billion to combat Covid-19. Now if we had actually joined the Euro and lost the ability to print the pound we'd have been even more royally scr**d by the financial black swan caused by Covid! Britain must never give up our ability to create currency according to the national imperative. Joining the euro would have made us a vassal state with our hands held out in an emergency like Oliver Twist! All modern central banks target 2% inflation, but miss the target regularly on both sides of the equation. This is part of the reason for boom and bust. Inflation hurts the common person. Increases in house prices are largely caused by inflation compounding which harms the first time buyer. The apparent capital gains accruing to the housing market are largely illusory. The value of the houses didn't go up, it was the value of the currency that went down. Rant over
This chancellor has certainly found that magic money tree! I dare not now go to the site that shows the national debt in real time.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2020, 08:20   #25
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

It makes not one iota of difference Ian, it only matters if you plan to move house, and plan to port the mortgage along with the move.

It is unfortunate if you happen then to be trapped in a house you no longer wish to live in, but the perception of the properties worth to yourself doesn't alter because of negative equity.
I believe it to be a price worth paying so our children and their children have a reasonable chance at making a home for themselves.

Brian

There is one difference it makes, whether you can afford to sell or not. Near to the beginning of a mortgage term negative equity often means that selling the house will leave a shortfall in paying off the mortgage, a shortfall that often can't be met. Leaving the 'owner' unable to move until the equity balance is restored. Either by prices going back up or by paying off a larger percentage of the mortgage. (Of course there's always the option of leaving the market and renting, or becoming homeless).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2020, 09:18   #26
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
There is one difference it makes, whether you can afford to sell or not. Near to the beginning of a mortgage term negative equity often means that selling the house will leave a shortfall in paying off the mortgage, a shortfall that often can't be met. Leaving the 'owner' unable to move until the equity balance is restored. Either by prices going back up or by paying off a larger percentage of the mortgage. (Of course there's always the option of leaving the market and renting, or becoming homeless).
It's fairly simple, if you can't afford to move, then don't, if you can't afford to buy, then don't, and when considering the single most important purchase in life, choose carefully and don't rush.

Property prices are artificially inflated above the norm by greedy speculators, often overseas absentees, private landlords, and greedy estate agents.

This is coupled with the scandalous "right to buy" meaning social housing stocks are dwindling to a point where people not in a position to buy their own home for whatever reason, are forced down the road of private rental property.

My house if marketed today would in all likelihood sell at around 200k, four times what I paid for it 25 years ago, and 3000% more than the house cost new 48 years ago.

£6500 in real life inflation terms from 1972 as opposed to 2020 is £86000, so why the disparity?

When asked by people what is your house worth? I always answer as to the price I paid, simply put I couldn't care less how much the house is worth, it is my family home and not an investment vehicle.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 09:29   #27
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

As I said earlier - the Great God Greed rules.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote