Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2009, 10:24   #11
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

This is not a case of making a drama out of a pantomine..but I can assure you that many Rover vehicles outside of the Vin recall (Later vehicles)have suffered this problem,my own vehicle was a late 03 mileage 30,000 and treated like a baby with no speed ramps in my area!!
Should you require validated proof please contact RAC/AA/ and past Rover dealer service managers.
I fully agree this problem is hitting many vehicles across all makes and ranges,but I have been driving since the 50's before suffering my coil spring breakage.(Prior to this failure I have never come across the same problem on early vehicles)

So all I am attempting to find out ,is it something affecting certain makes of cars,and more importantly more modern vehicles,and surely it is only right that Forum members are fully aware of this problem,as the speed at which it happens gives no room for reaction.

PLus if on "Rovers" the protectors do not protect then lets find out from other members who have protectors fitted if this is the case!!!(it would appear from this thread that is in fact the case?)

Statements such as a bit of drama on a Sunday!!!Where does that get us?

And I totally agree with members statements "Has human error crept in during modern manufacture",I seem to recall one member stating that recycled steel in some manufacturing processes had been used......and certainly Rover did cut costs and quality dramatically towards the end?As I am certain so did many other manufacturers besides Rover.
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 10:49   #12
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had mail from a Rover 75 driver to say that even with protectors fitted he had the experience of a the broken spring that still managed to spiral down and instantly rip tyre and jam steering.
Is it possible to tell us the following.............

Is the 75 driver a club member?

What year?

What mileage?

Were the protectors put on the car under the recall notice or have they been put on recently?

Vin number?

Any info would be appreciated to help us members on this latest update from you. My problem is that MGR knew of the problem and issued a recall notice and I would have assumed they would have done work on the project assuring that with the protector correctly fitted this could no longer happen. I would be interested to see the above details for my own peace of mind

Thanks

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 11:32   #13
CFS75
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto

Last year I was following a small VW in the outside lane of the A12 when suddenly the VW veered right into the central reservation barrier. It bounced back and crossed both lanes and finished on the verge. There had been no warning of a problem.
A few weeks later I was following a Transit type van that suddenly swerved across the road, crossed the grass verge and finished in a field.
Fortunately there were no serious injuries and I had been far enough behind to witness the incidents without being involved!
In both cases it was assumed that the vehicles had suffered from a tyre 'blowout', but I am now beginning to wonder if there had been a spring failure that caused a 'blowout'.
Are statistics kept of types of accidents and their causes?
CFS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 11:37   #14
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There are now two (maybe more) active threads on this topic. It would help us all if they were merged.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:15   #15
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There are now two (maybe more) active threads on this topic. It would help us all if they were merged.

TC
Please see my post on the other thread. I have closed it for the sake of continuity. Please use this thread for further comments on this subject. Thanks All.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...6&postcount=85

Last edited by GreyGhost; 5th January 2009 at 12:20..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 20:15   #16
jeeringtowser
Regular poster

mini One 1.6D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart080973 View Post
My Father has been a Mechanic for many years, i asked about the Spring problem, and his answer was how many rover 75 MG ZT have been built and then take into account how many have had springs go. In most cases some thing has happend to the car. ie gone into a hole hard or mounted a kerb. Remember thats a lot of weight and comprestion on one spring when you do that. He quite clearly said all cars springs go from time to time, as we are all Rover 75 or MG ZT owners it looks like there is a lot, but infact its about the same for all cars. This is one of the reasons we have MOT's is to find these problems before the happen.
Would an MOT pick up a fault with coil springs? If they did we may not have the amoumt of potentially lethal breakages.
jeeringtowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 20:22   #17
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

If the spring is broken, Cracked or not functioning properly,
this should be found on a MOT.
Some members have indeed had a spring pointed out at a MOT test.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 20:35   #18
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
If the spring is broken, Cracked or not functioning properly,
this should be found on a MOT.
Some members have indeed had a spring pointed out at a MOT test.
A broken spring may be picked up at MOT (I had an Audi fail on this) but it may not if the tester isn't familar (my 75 passed with two broken rears, one in two places)

As far as seeing it cracked before breaking: I doubt it. On all of my broken springs (total of five from two cars) the only external sign was the flaking of the powder coating and surface corrosion. I saw no other signs, and not picked up at an MOT. I did guess from the flaking and surface corrosion that the rears on my Audi would need replacing, but one failed before I got time to replace, and in the few weeks before thinking it should be done, and taking it for the MOT (around three weeks) one broke anyway.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 20:38   #19
arjar75

Rover 75 CDi

Default Spring failure

I've had both front springs on my Rover 75 go in the last 6 months. Nearside went last August. Offside went yesterday. In both cases: the first evidence was resistance to movement at first use of the day; the car seemed to be fine when parked the previous evening; and the result was the top of the spring pressing into the top of the inside of the tyre. In August the weather was mild. On Saturday night we experienced minus 4C.

My car is a CDi later than the recall group (52 registration). It has done just over 95k miles.

My (unscientific) assumption is that the springs become brittle over time. But I'm puzzled by the fact that in both cases they seemed to give up when under minimal stress standing on the drive, though I suppose it might be the process of parking (reversing up a slight incline with half lock) that actually finishes them off.

I do wonder whether the replacements are from old stock, and therefore similarly vulnerable. It might be interesting to try to identify a production date after which this problem disappeared (if one exists) and the age and provenance of current stock. But I haven't the foggiest idea how this might be done.

Final point - I did have a spring go on my Mercedes about 10 years ago. And the roads around here (north Gloucestershire) and particularly NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-, and getting worse. So maybe it's a combination of poor product quality and bad roads? Whatever, I may have a severe sense of humour failure if it happens again.
arjar75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 20:45   #20
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Ive been riding bikes for a lot of years which is far more dangerous than a spring snapping !! so i WONT be selling my car soon !!!!!! :xmas-smiley-013:
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote