Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2009, 19:56   #21
stuart080973
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE Auto 2000 2.5L V6 British Racing Green

Am i looking at this in a different light, but it seems to me that lots of the problem with springs are on the Longbridge built cars. Is this what seems to be happening, or are the Cowley built ones in the same boat?
Old 5th January 2009, 21:16   #22
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Just 2 i found on a quick search,

Have a read thru the AA site a look at the recalls all car companies have.

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recalls/index.jsp

Fiat made a recall on the Stilo in Oct 2006 for front springs where a plate is fitted to the shock to stop a breakage affecting the tyre's.

-----------
Citroen Berlingo - 13 July 2005

In the exceptional event of a spring breaking, there could be a risk of the spring making contact with the vehicle tyre.

Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and fit a suspension cup to each side of the front suspension.

-----------------
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 21:33   #23
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Mercedes A Class were on recall (by dealer notification) to, for a similar problem with front springs braking,
but worse still they take out the ABS wiring on breaking at same time.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 22:32   #24
TrevorL

ZT 1.8T

If I understand this correctly! or Not ! the spring fails near the start of the spring helix load point, hence when the spring fails the spring rotates in outwards and downwards direction hence tyre damage, depending on where the spring start position is in relation to the wheel side, if the spring is rotated such when failure occurs it travels inwards direction thus preventing the broken spring end going through the tyre, thus ensuring safe fail mode, or is this idea too simple !!!

Trevor
TrevorL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 22:59   #25
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorL View Post
- - - - if the spring is rotated such when failure occurs it travels inwards direction thus preventing the broken spring end going through the tyre, thus ensuring safe fail mode, or is this idea too simple!!
I suspect you're correct in principle. There is evidence of front springs fracturing with no tyre damage. It will depend on how the spring is positioned during assembly and whether it's facing the 'wrong' direction when it collapses. There's clearly a good deal of circumstantial requirement for a serious blowout to happen. I guess the recalls were made to hedge all the bets.

Repositioning the springs may reduce the chance of tyre damage in the event of fracture, but does anyone know the exact position for that to be guaranteed? Clearly, fitting the spring protectors is the more logical preventive measure. I can't see what else could be done other than never driving a car - any car that is. With the gizmos installed, I believe the risks are too small to be significant and certainly too small to worry about.

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 06:55   #26
Departed
Retired

--

You can't reposition the springs. The seat is shaped to take the end in a particular position.

As for Longbridge Vs Cowley, my 75 is a Cowley car, and neither my Audi nor the Citroens and Vauxhalls that I know of personally were built at either factory.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 13:53   #27
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
You can't reposition the springs. The seat is shaped to take the end in a particular position.
You're right of course. The lower cup has a separate part number but only fits one way. How a spring reacts at the instant of fracture must be quite variable according to the stresses applicable at the time. Sometimes they hit the tyre, sometimes not.
The bottom line is there is nothing you can do to mitigate the tyre damage other than fit the protectors. Someone suggested increasing the wall height to retain the spring even more. I suppose this would work, but it seems to be a step too far to me. I can't believe the accident statistics would point that way.

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 16:09   #28
comet
Avid contributor

CDTConnSE Wreg 102000mls

My car passed a MOT and although on handbrake application it passed the test, it was only on reading some quotes on this site that I investigated and found a brkn spring at the top(rear set). The examiner said that I was the first rover he had with this and said he had a few BMW's with the same problem. He blamed the speed humps for the resulting failures. We have a few round here.
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 12:21   #29
sf8752
Gets stuck in

rover75 conny 1.8 white gold

I wonder if you can claim of the local council for the damage of springs due to speed humps

steve....
sf8752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 22:39   #30
Brerrabbit
Regular poster

2003 Conny 1.8 , in a distinctive deep green , full leather etc etc

Dont know if you could claim for damage but my thoughts on spring breakability are these. 1, Any amount of failures can cause your death in a car, from spring breakage to a catastrophic belt failure locking engine at 80 in the outsidelane when if you`re not Lewis hamilton you wouldnt react quick enough to save situation. 2. Having fitted the gizmo on Sat I think it should work OK . 3 All vehicles are unsafe at times, when younger(18) I had a chain snap and lock back wheel on a BSA 500 and the bike laid down at 60 mph. Our cars are as safe as needed but you should anyway think about your space on road and safty zones to escape into if somthing gives at speed. Brerrabbit
Brerrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote