Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2010, 11:35   #1
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Aussie may be joining your ranks.... if im lucky

G'day everyone, stumbled on this forum by chance, after i stumbled onto something else by chance, a Rover 75.

Was not really in the market for a new car, but walked past a used prestige car dealership and spotted something unusual, and very eye catching, the Rover. Kept on walking, and figured that moment would soon fade into the section of my brain i file things of insignificance.

But to my suprise, it did not. I found myself looking up pics of these cars, doing some reading, and looking at prices. I think i need to have one.

After i realised that (some 2.5 weeks after first sighting, well first that registered, because ive seen a couple since) i walked back into that dealership with a pocket full of cash.

Sorry buddy, Been SOLD!!

Damn it!! But now im hunting for one. I liked the idea of buying from the dealer, as he offered 3 year unlimited km warranty. Bit scared of buying privately, as i know if she breaks, she is going to drain my wallet quick considering they are not common in Australia.

So anything i should look for? Know faulty, problems with the car? Im looking at 2001-2003 probably, and all the ones ive seen are 2.5L. I think i read in the 1.8L there was engine issues, correct? How about the 2.5L?

At 120,000km on the clock, what are the questions i should be asking the owners, and what information should i pass on to a mechanic because i would want a comprehensive pre sale inspection to take place.

Great forum, read alot here over the past few weeks, hopefully i find what im after and become a contributing member.

Cheers
The_Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 11:50   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Hi Adam
Welcome to the club.
2.5 V6. Main things to look out for are failed VIS actuators and inlet manifold. Forum is littered with references. Other than that same as any other car. Give it a good going over. 2.5 is a very reliable machine. The 1.8 do suffer head gasket issues but not down to the engine, rather the minuscule cooling system and a failure in that area causing engine overheating. That said if well looked after they are also very reliable. Not even sure the 1.8 was exported to OZ
We have quite a few members in the land of OZ who will be able to point you at parts suppliers. Suppliers here will ship if necessary. The 75 was quite popular there. You'll probably start tripping over these cars now that you have noticed them.
Best of luck in your quest.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 22:01   #3
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

Now sorry if this sounds like a foolish question (im not a car guy, but willing to learn) but will a run of the mill Joe Regular mechanic know how to check for failed VIS actuators and inlet manifold?

Also i know other key buzz words when buying a car are "timing belt", "major service" etc. Now correct me if im wrong, but replacing a timing belt is a big job or atleast generally expensive is it not? and should be completed around the 100,000 - 130,000km mark?

As i have my eye on a very nice Black 2001 Connoisseur with 120,000 on the clock, the only problem is i would be buying from across the other side of Australia. Could fly over to inspect it, and get a vehicle inspection with report done, but want to avoid buying something that will need money dumped into it immediately because i failed to ask the right questions.

Thanks for you help so far, and now i have more targeted areas to read up on.

First additions will be wood and leather gear knob, steering wheel, and wooden handbrake handle.

Focused on finding one and turning it into the best example in Oz.
Old 6th April 2010, 22:24   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Checking VIZ actuators and inlet manifold couldn't be simpler with directions from this forum. Manifestation is loud ticking from either of the two actuators and if unlucky the inlet manifold. Replacement is one of the easiest jobs
Cambelts on V6 3 in number. essentially changed at 6 years or 90K miles. UK price around £700.00 including parts.
I understand there is a club in melbourne, tune into them and get some tips on general maintenance.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=26980

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...archid=2273924

This from another forum.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=270472

KV6 Cambelt change Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/kv6coupe.../0/2fFx8SPiTSc
Old 7th April 2010, 00:06   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Why not find a diesel Conny? The diesel is very reliable and much more economic on long journeys..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 06:09   #6
StevieB
Regular poster

MG ZT 190+

Smile

Hey Kman

As you're in Melbourne, there's some great places that can advise you to contact - I went through this a year ago myself!

I contacted Zagames in Melbourne, who were a MGRover dealer here, and they were incredibly helpful. They'll tell you what to look out for.

Timing belts should be done every 6 years or 100,000kms whichever comes first. If they haven't been done - it can be expensive as there's three belts apparently. Ensure it's been strongly maintained and this has been done before you touch it.

Although they can be serviced every 25000kms - no oil will last that far - so ensure its been consistantly serviced and oil changed every 10,000 as any other car.

Electrics can be another problem, so test everything including the airbag light isn't on at all, and the rear licence plate lights connections are a regular bugbear from things Ive heard from others too. (I've got that issue myself)

I've got a great mechanic and the services are not at all expensive. Parts are pretty easily purchased as they're imported and supplied from Sydney.

I haven't come across any Diesel 75's here in OZ.

They're awesome and I LOVE my ZT and I can tell you're sold on a 75!

If I can help any more - let me know!
Old 7th April 2010, 07:12   #7
The_Kman
Regular poster

Rover 75

I emailed a guy who has one i really like. He did mention that all belts had been changed at 115,000 (its done 120,000 now). Is there also known transmission issues? I had not read about that, but he included in hiis email

"If you have been looking at Rover 75's you would know that the automatic
transmission in them dies at about 100,000 + kms. We had ours replaced
at about 115,000 kms along with all the belts and hoses"

Should i have the engine compression tested? The electrics doesnt worry me too much, as im a computer hardware engineer with a strong background in electronics and electrical systems, so im sure be able to get my head around that. Its just the mechanics im worried about.

Really want this car, but have bought a couple of lemons in my time, so just want to be sure im on a winner, as i intend to look after this one. (moving up from the 'i hate you, you hate me' hyundai excel uni car). First you get the education, then you get the Rover, then you get the women..... I think it was Scarface who said that.
Old 7th April 2010, 08:13   #8
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kman View Post
I emailed a guy who has one i really like. He did mention that all belts had been changed at 115,000 (its done 120,000 now). Is there also known transmission issues? I had not read about that, but he included in hiis email

"If you have been looking at Rover 75's you would know that the automatic
transmission in them dies at about 100,000 + kms. We had ours replaced
at about 115,000 kms along with all the belts and hoses"

Should i have the engine compression tested? The electrics doesnt worry me too much, as im a computer hardware engineer with a strong background in electronics and electrical systems, so im sure be able to get my head around that. Its just the mechanics im worried about.

Really want this car, but have bought a couple of lemons in my time, so just want to be sure im on a winner, as i intend to look after this one. (moving up from the 'i hate you, you hate me' hyundai excel uni car). First you get the education, then you get the Rover, then you get the women..... I think it was Scarface who said that.
What ever one I go for, I would have tested at a test station. If the seller doesn´t agree to that then there is something amiss. I have always said that if the seller gets the test done and there are no major faults then I pay for the test as, as it turned out okay, If there are any major things then the seller foots the bill and I can deliberate about buying the car or not. If it was me getting one for the first time thenin hindsight, I would get a top spec Diesel (CDTi). The tourer. I have a 2005 model with all the bits on it and I´ve never had such a good car
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 11:37   #9
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Typical diesel heads. AFAIK the diesel was not exported to Australia so you would be hard pressed to find one.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:06   #10
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Typical diesel heads. AFAIK the diesel was not exported to Australia so you would be hard pressed to find one.
Got a 2.5 aswell but feel slightly safer with the diesel
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote