Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th October 2014, 23:48   #1
Puresmurf

Rover 75 tourer

Default Please help

Just to start I'm no good at explaining noises but im even worse at technical things I'll try and explain as best as I can.
I have a 52 plate rover 75 tourer 2.0 cdt I've had the car since March this year and all was good with it until recently when I noticed the following

About a month ago when the air con was on occasionally I would get a whoop sound it didn't happen all the time probably ten minutes apart
Then lately my engine seems noisier than usual runs and drives fine just louder
Then a couple of days ago when full locking the steering left or right it sounds like something is rattling like a jingling sound.
And then yesterday I went out to the car and the battery was dead I charged it up full charge the car was sat overnight started fine then went to go out tonight and had battery low appear on my dashboard
I don't know if all these are related or not as I'm no good with cars

It's just had a complete oil change , oil filter change , diesel filter change , all brakes replaced

I did notice that when I full lock it left or right the engine cover vibrates more there no clunking sounds no bangs or anything it's just like a jingling sound I don't want to be throwing money at garages to diagnose what's up with it as funds are low and with Christmas coming and 2 little ones it's going to be hard enough.
Would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction of where to start or if anyone is local to Walsall ws5 who could take a look I'd be really grateful as I'm at a loss and I don't want to end up getting rid of the car
Puresmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 00:09   #2
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

to this great club David. I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with your problem but I didn't want you to think you were being ignored! I know somebody will be along to offer advice but it is a bit late now. They're probably getting some beauty sleep. And believe me, some of them don't half need it! Just be patient.

Chad.

PS Look in the Events and Meets section regularly. You're in a good location to get to some of these.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.

Last edited by Grumpy1; 12th October 2014 at 00:12..
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 00:14   #3
Puresmurf

Rover 75 tourer

Thank you glad to be here and I understand most people will be sleeping as that's what normal people do God I wish I was normal sometimes just hoping somebody out there can help out as I love my rovers and don't want to see this go because I can't get it sorted
Old 12th October 2014, 00:23   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puresmurf View Post

About a month ago when the air con was on occasionally I would get a whoop sound it didn't happen all the time probably ten minutes apart
Then lately my engine seems noisier than usual runs and drives fine just louder
ull locking the steering left or right it sounds like something is rattling liThen a couple of days ago when fke a jingling sound.
And then yesterday I went out to the car and the battery was dead I charged it up full charge the car was sat overnight started fine then went to go out tonight and had battery low appear on my dashboard
I don't know if all these are related or not as I'm no good with cars

Whooping noises - Air conditioning system low gas or compressor problem

Rattle on full lock - most likely suspension or steering related either drop links, lower arm rear bushes, track rod ends or CV joints, or if you are unlucky lower arm inner or outer ball joints.

louder - could be anything from a hole in the exhaust to the undertray fallen off,

Dead battery - battery knackered, alternator or charging problem, or possible drain on system: does your car have factory sat nav?

Nothing major and most things there are usual wear and tear items, the most expensive being alternator and suspension lower arm. If you can't do these things yourself, find someone who knows these cars (plenty of good traders on the forum here) to take a look and fix whats needed for you.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 00:23   #5
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDT

Hi mate,

Welcome to the club. Like you I'm not overly technical, but the Midlands nano meet is being held next weekend at the Four ashes pub, just off junction 2 on the M54. There is a great turn out and we would all be happy to help you with any problems, so come along and say hi?

Plenum spy hole mod, bonnet mod, handbrake mod. New Smiley plate with club website address. LED bulbs fitted throughout, inc glove box and Numberplate, Flipkey, rear parking sensors, rear offside cubby hole cover, 2x extra LED ambient lights in tourer boot, ultimate remote, walnut gear knob, Walnut steering wheel, in-line stat, illuminated sun visors, load cover with dog guard, extra aux and USB sockets in armrest.
Mikeal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 00:33   #6
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Whale song (whoop whoop) could be caused by no low speed on your fan. Turn your demist on, go to the front of the car and look through the grill. Is the fan running ? If not, this is most likely the problem for that issue.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 00:43   #7
Puresmurf

Rover 75 tourer

Thanks all I just wondered if it was all related in some way either a pulley or belt or something due to the fact of air con , steering and battery not charging or holding charge
And wouldnt mind coming to the ashes if somebody would be able to have a look at my car for me , it's due the mot November so I'm working it a short time frame to save money for needed parts etc
The car has been brilliant then everything seems to have happened at once
Thanks for all your replys everyone
Old 12th October 2014, 01:00   #8
wooly12345
Gets stuck in

Rover 75

Thumbs up

Usually I'd leave this to the more knowledgable chaps on this forum but as its late and you may want answers now or possibly early tomorrow morning my thoughts are as follows:

Air con: There is a valve called a txv which injects more fluid into the expansion unit, this usually happens when refrigerant is low but i wouldn't worry too much as you'll probably not need airco till summer (which unfortunately is pretty far off)... one thing i would check is when you turn on the AC make sure the fan behind the front grill is working
Steering: First things first check the fluid is ok and ensure its by the max line, if not top it up and see if the noise goes away. If it doesnt and as its a metallic sound i would assume the power steering pump is struggling or possibly failing
Engine noise: Could be numerous reasons for a noisy engine, cheapest option would be putting some fuel treatment in such as comma's diesel magic or millers, add this when you fill up, can make a world of difference on a noisy/tappety engine
Dead battery: There are a plethora of possible causes of a dead battery, things I'd check first would be using a multi meter to obtain the current voltage of the battery with the ignition off, it should read 12 volt as a minimum, should be appx 12.4 volts, then start the car, if it increases to 13+ volts atleast your altenator is working, if it is working you may have a drain on the system or worse a short somewhere in the wiring system, check for interior lights staying on, radiotor fan, fuel burning heater fan (if you have one of course). Make sure no smell of melted plastic is within the cabin or the engine bay if this is the case disconnect the battery from the car.

All the above is just a couple of things that spring to mind if i had these problems on mine, by mid day you'll have plenty of members adding to a list of possible fixes and do's and dont's...

Good luck

Rich
wooly12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2014, 01:13   #9
Puresmurf

Rover 75 tourer

Cheers rich when I heard the noise the first thing I thought was maybe fluid so I checked it and it was right at the bottom of the dipstick so I topped that up but the sound was still there and it's hard to explain the sound I guess the closest I could describe it is having a metal chain dangling on your exhaust , there was an advisory last mot on play in the steering rack so I've ordered one.
The engine getting louder when I noticed it I done a complete oil change and that seemed to solve it for all of a week then seemed noises again it may just be me as I'm used to petrol cars.
I'm not to fussed about the air con at the moment anyway as hardly use it but thought I would put it down just in case there was some connection there.

Thanks for replying
Old 12th October 2014, 02:13   #10
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Hi David.
Im no expert on things technical but i would highly recommend that you pop down to the Nano meet next weekend. There's some real clued up guys there who know there stuff and very helpful. I think its the last one of the year so its well worth a visit.
Hopefully i will see you there.
Hope you get your car sorted without to much expense.
Take care .
Johnny