Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2014, 17:17   #1
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDT

Default Help!

I have a new caravan. I'm a total novice.

I have been doing some work in it today, with a cable from the van to my house. Everything has been working fine. But now the lights won't work. They won't work on the mains or the battery?
The plugs work fine, I currently have a battery charger plugged into one of the plugs charging the van battery.

There is a fuse board with a large and 2 smaller breakers (all in the on position) then there is a Zig board. The rocker switch is the central position at the moment, the pump lights and aux are all in the off position, but nothing happens if I switch the lights on. Each light has its own switch, but again nothing happens when I switch them?

Please help!

Plenum spy hole mod, bonnet mod, handbrake mod. New Smiley plate with club website address. LED bulbs fitted throughout, inc glove box and Numberplate, Flipkey, rear parking sensors, rear offside cubby hole cover, 2x extra LED ambient lights in tourer boot, ultimate remote, walnut gear knob, Walnut steering wheel, in-line stat, illuminated sun visors, load cover with dog guard, extra aux and USB sockets in armrest.
Mikeal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 17:57   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeal1 View Post
I have a new caravan. I'm a total novice.

I have been doing some work in it today, with a cable from the van to my house. Everything has been working fine. But now the lights won't work. They won't work on the mains or the battery?
The plugs work fine, I currently have a battery charger plugged into one of the plugs charging the van battery.

There is a fuse board with a large and 2 smaller breakers (all in the on position) then there is a Zig board. The rocker switch is the central position at the moment, the pump lights and aux are all in the off position, but nothing happens if I switch the lights on. Each light has its own switch, but again nothing happens when I switch them?

Please help!
You'll have a mixture of lighting - some 12 volt and some 240 volt mains. Most caravans have a three position rocker switch that tells the Zig wherre to take power from:
  1. from the 'vans own 12 volt battery
  2. OFF (usually the central position on the rocker switch)
  3. from the car's battery when hooked up to the 12s socket, for fridge use etc.
Double check that you haven't got that rocker switch in the totally OFF position.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:00   #3
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

AImageUploadedByTapatalk1413482334.837335.jpgt the moment it is on the van battery position, but I'm using mains supply. I have a light plugged into a socket.
Nothing changes, whatever position I put the switch in. Nothing lights up

Plenum spy hole mod, bonnet mod, handbrake mod. New Smiley plate with club website address. LED bulbs fitted throughout, inc glove box and Numberplate, Flipkey, rear parking sensors, rear offside cubby hole cover, 2x extra LED ambient lights in tourer boot, ultimate remote, walnut gear knob, Walnut steering wheel, in-line stat, illuminated sun visors, load cover with dog guard, extra aux and USB sockets in armrest.
Old 16th October 2014, 18:02   #4
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeal1 View Post
AAttachment 41151t the moment it is on the van battery position, but I'm using mains supply. I have a light plugged into a socket.
Nothing changes, whatever position I put the switch in. Nothing lights up
Stupid question - but are those three fuses at the bottom all OK?

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 18:03   #5
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Yes, all in intact

Old 16th October 2014, 18:48   #6
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

When you say you have a battery charger plugged in charging the battery,have you not got a built in charger in the van?

It should charge automatically whilst you have power attached to the van via the hook up cable.

Most ceiling lights run via 12 volt battery so have you got the battery connected to the van,it needs to be connect to complete the circuit.

Thats a starter for 10

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 20:03   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by w44nty View Post
When you say you have a battery charger plugged in charging the battery,have you not got a built in charger in the van?

It should charge automatically whilst you have power attached to the van via the hook up cable.

Most ceiling lights run via 12 volt battery so have you got the battery connected to the van,it needs to be connect to complete the circuit.

Thats a starter for 10
I'm not sure by this, I never had a battery in my swift.
macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 20:08   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

mmm right have you checked that you have 240 volts at the caravan end of the cable from the house?

have you checked that the battery is good or is it so duff that there is no power in it to run anything?

is the transformer under the seat where the power lead from the house connects, have you checked that?
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 20:27   #9
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for your replies.
I have the caravan battery plugged in, I have another battery on charge. Using an extra charger. So I know the plugs are working from the house mains. I also have a light plugged in. The fridge is working from the house mains.

At the moment the zig thingy is switched to "caravan battery" all the other switches are off. (Although nothing happens if I switch them on.) neither the red nor the green light are on.

Likewise there is a switch just as you walk in, nothing happens whichever way I switch that.

The inbuilt battery charger is on. Both breakers are on.

I believe the battery is good, but I don't have any means to test it, especially as the lights arn't coming on.

Old 16th October 2014, 20:42   #10
oldcarguy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Double check your glass fuses, that's the most likely cause.
oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote