Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2018, 14:00   #31
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post

Tried getting the lid off the master cylinder to check the level.. its on so tight. I just can't get my hand in enough to grip it hard enough to get it off.

What a stupid design.
If the lid has some 'lugs' on the outer edge, put a long screwdriver against one of the lugs and push anti-clockwise to release it (or use a few gentle taps on the screwdriver with a hammer to get it moving).

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 14:21   #32
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Just another Question:..

If it was the slave leaking , would I notice a problem with the clutch pedal?

cause it seems fine as far as pressure and movement up and down.

I also read another thread on here about a guy suffering a whine noise and a drop in gearbox oil level.

could it actually be gearbox oil leaking on to the clutch? and would maybe explain the whine noise I have started hearing?

GB oil too low?

Where is the filler hole to check?
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )

Last edited by Mgaz; 4th April 2018 at 14:24..
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 15:05   #33
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Just another Question:..

If it was the slave leaking , would I notice a problem with the clutch pedal?

cause it seems fine as far as pressure and movement up and down.

I also read another thread on here about a guy suffering a whine noise and a drop in gearbox oil level.

could it actually be gearbox oil leaking on to the clutch? and would maybe explain the whine noise I have started hearing?

GB oil too low?

Where is the filler hole to check?
If slave is leaking, you may get an intermittent or persistent problem with clutch pedal/difficulty selecting gear. Try to get that lid off the master and check the level - if low, you might be losing fluid at the slave. Whining noises can be due to the clutch release bearing on the slave, particularly when changing gear or pressing the clutch pedal down.

Gearbox oil can leak onto the clutch if the seal behind the guide tube over the input shaft is leaking. Not easy to check without taking the gearbox off ! Gearbox filler/level plug is on the nearside end of the gearbox, above where the NS drive shaft goes into the differential. You need an 8mm allen key/socket to undo it.

A lot of 'ifs and buts' here- it is difficult to diagnose exactly what your problem is from a distance !

Pete
Old 5th April 2018, 20:44   #34
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
If slave is leaking, you may get an intermittent or persistent problem with clutch pedal/difficulty selecting gear. Try to get that lid off the master and check the level - if low, you might be losing fluid at the slave. Whining noises can be due to the clutch release bearing on the slave, particularly when changing gear or pressing the clutch pedal down.

Gearbox oil can leak onto the clutch if the seal behind the guide tube over the input shaft is leaking. Not easy to check without taking the gearbox off ! Gearbox filler/level plug is on the nearside end of the gearbox, above where the NS drive shaft goes into the differential. You need an 8mm allen key/socket to undo it.

A lot of 'ifs and buts' here- it is difficult to diagnose exactly what your problem is from a distance !

Pete
Does this help?

Old 5th April 2018, 21:50   #35
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Quote:
If the lid has some 'lugs' on the outer edge, put a long screwdriver against one of the lugs and push anti-clockwise to release it (or use a few gentle taps on the screwdriver with a hammer to get it moving).

Pete
That's how I got mine open.
Old 5th April 2018, 21:57   #36
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Think I'm right in saying this. Gear oil is very thin oil so slippy on the fingers and clutch fluid has a feel like turps i.e. wet but not lubrication. I've got a gear oil leak currently and pictures look a wee bit familiar. Mines was leaking out the reversing switch hole I forgot to swap over when I fitted the box as I lost first gear in the original. Now it leaks from seam in casing where the two halves bolt together.
Old 5th April 2018, 22:22   #37
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsca2 View Post
Think I'm right in saying this. Gear oil is very thin oil so slippy on the fingers and clutch fluid has a feel like turps i.e. wet but not lubrication. I've got a gear oil leak currently and pictures look a wee bit familiar. Mines was leaking out the reversing switch hole I forgot to swap over when I fitted the box as I lost first gear in the original. Now it leaks from seam in casing where the two halves bolt together.
Are you saying that you forgot a seal or something when you put it all back together ?

And could the mechanics who did the job on my car have forgotten a seal also?
Old 6th April 2018, 05:53   #38
Amsca2
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T cdti

Quote:
Are you saying that you forgot a seal or something when you put it all back together ?

And could the mechanics who did the job on my car have forgotten a seal also?
The box I replaced it with I never noticed the reversing switch was missing so that was me being stupid and easy fixed.

The seem doesn't come apart unless your going into the box which won't have happened. I believe mine is down to the box being roughly handled causing the joint to move and weep. Im keeping an eye on levels with an occasional top up and may ultimately need to fit another box. I am the mechanic so nobody to blame. Test the liquid though between 2 fingers. Do your fingers slip or drag. That'll tell you what it is. Clutch fluid feels like diesel if you've ever had that on you.
Old 6th April 2018, 08:46   #39
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Difficult to be sure, but the pictures would suggest an oil leak from the gearbox, possibly through the oil seal behind the guide tube that the slave sits on - this would explain the clutch slip, since the driven plate will be contaminated. Leaking slaves only produce a small amount of fluid, so show a much more localised leak beneath the bellhousing. I think there are no two ways about it, the gearbox has to come off for a careful examination of the clutch assembly and the oil seal/guide tube, as well as an overall check for other possible source of the oil leak. Only entrust this work to a reputable garage/mechanic that will take care to examine everything properly and replace the necessary parts with good quality items. I would also check for leaks at the drive shaft oil seals, as there seems to be oil all over the underside of the gearbox. If you just stick a new clutch in, you may be back in the same situation in a few months time, if the source of the oil leak is not correctly identified and fixed.

Pete
Old 6th April 2018, 11:08   #40
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

Exclamation

Quote:
Difficult to be sure, but the pictures would suggest an oil leak from the gearbox, possibly through the oil seal behind the guide tube that the slave sits on - this would explain the clutch slip, since the driven plate will be contaminated. Leaking slaves only produce a small amount of fluid, so show a much more localised leak beneath the bellhousing. I think there are no two ways about it, the gearbox has to come off for a careful examination of the clutch assembly and the oil seal/guide tube, as well as an overall check for other possible source of the oil leak. Only entrust this work to a reputable garage/mechanic that will take care to examine everything properly and replace the necessary parts with good quality items. I would also check for leaks at the drive shaft oil seals, as there seems to be oil all over the underside of the gearbox. If you just stick a new clutch in, you may be back in the same situation in a few months time, if the source of the oil leak is not correctly identified and fixed.

Pete

This is what it looked like on my fingers..
is gearbox oil clear like this? like a thin WD40 type feeling?

unless it is a mixture of clutch Hydraulic fluid with a bit of old engine oil mixed with it?

Apparently Clutch Hydraulic fluid is flammable.. should I try setting fire to my fingers?