Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2018, 14:57   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default I feel a new tool coming on

went to undo the drive shaft nuts on the Tourer I recently got, no chance with a ordinary socket set so I ordered a 3ft 4 inch breaker bar, just under £17. Felt the bar was going to snap, the nuts holding fast.

A neighbour lent me his 240v impact gun. It needed a few attempts but by god it did both nuts.

This is what he has, Clarke CEW1000 Electric Impact Wrench 240v,

450Nm of torque

Feel I wasted my money on the breaker bar but never expected the nuts to be that tight, I had un-peened them.

Generally it would be quite a faf to use, get extension lead, get impact gun where ordinary socket and extension bar normally will do but in times like this, it is worth the agro of getting the extension lead out.

May be a new toy for myself.. really impressed with it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 16:25   #2
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

3 foot breaker bar? I've had a 7 foot piece of scaffold that slips over my torque wrench for years - never let me down! Have taken hub nuts off with one finger and it only cost me a tenna!
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 18:30   #3
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

I have one of those Clarke impact wrenches too. Great bit of kit that has never failed to undo anything
Not my most frequently used tool but, a god send when needed
A lot safer than bouncing around on the end of a scaffold pole too

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 19:07   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRover View Post
3 foot breaker bar? I've had a 7 foot piece of scaffold that slips over my torque wrench for years - never let me down! Have taken hub nuts off with one finger and it only cost me a tenna!

I had wondered about using my big torque wrench for trying to undo the nuts but decided that it is a precision tool used for doing nuts and bolts up to a specific "tightness" and so decided not to use it for undo the nuts.

I'd already broken a socket wrench so did not try again with a spare.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 21:19   #5
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininuts View Post
But not as much fun lol
Old 20th April 2018, 21:23   #6
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I had wondered about using my big torque wrench for trying to undo the nuts but decided that it is a precision tool used for doing nuts and bolts up to a specific "tightness" and so decided not to use it for undo the nuts.

I'd already broken a socket wrench so did not try again with a spare.

macafee2
I have two - one bought by my Grandfather in 1964 and one I bought on Amazon a few years ago. I use the former for precision and the latter for brute force with scaffold.
Old 20th April 2018, 22:23   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
I have one of those Clarke impact wrenches too. Great bit of kit that has never failed to undo anything
Yep I have one of those and they are a good bit of kit.

It has undone just about everything asked of it but failed miserably on the diesel crank pulley bolt.

5ft scaffold bar with me swinging on it soon had it loose.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 07:49   #8
Artermis
Regular poster

MG ZT

Had to replace the hub on the wife's Stilo Abarth the other weekend. Mate of mine and ex-truck mechanic was giving me a hand as I didn't have a 36mm socket needed for the job.

He said I'd never get the drive shaft nut off and bought his big breaker bar with him. I'm probably about 6ft1 and at least 18 stone and wasn't getting anywhere with it. I bent my trusty go-to big levering stick on it too.

Anyway; father bought me a 240v electric impact gun for xmas so gave that a try. Mate wasn't convinced it'd have it off and was certain we'd have to get a longer lever for the wrench to undo it. Had it off in seconds. Couldn't believe how effortlessly it had it free.

It's a bit weird as it's not quite like a windy gun that rattles quite hard and fast. When it's trying to undo something hard it like winds itself up and gives it a hell of a thump every few seconds. Compared to my proper windy gun and compress it felt odd and I thought at first it was broken and not doing anything but it worked like a charm.

I have the Von Haus gun rated at 500Nm...

https://www.domu.co.uk/vonhaus-240v-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Compared to having my windy gun out it's much better; otherwise I have to drag out the extension lead, power up the compressor and let that build pressure, then run the hoses and oil up the windy gun. Then have to wait for the compressor to build every now and again. Much less hassle and generally a bit safer than hanging off off a wrench and snapping something.

BD02 FFE - MG ZT+ 190 in Monogram Gulfstream, No 2 of 5 190 saloons made and ex-press garage vehicle.

Last edited by Artermis; 21st April 2018 at 07:55..
Artermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2018, 09:27   #9
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
I had one of the Clarke electric impact wrenches- I did not find it that good. It did not shift a crank pulley bolt, and also did not touch hub pinch bolts or some wheel bolts that had been over-tightened by garages. Then it packed up, so I have binned it. I tend to just use good penetrating spray (I always use WD40 fast release penetrant - usually works for me) and good sockets/breaker bars. Perhaps a bit of heat if something is really stubborn.
If you are going to get an electric wrench, spend decent money and get something like a Milwaukee one that pulls 1000 Nm or more. My local garage uses these, and I have borrowed one from them occasionally- they are seriously impressive.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote