Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th June 2018, 11:47   #91
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

I replaced mien a while back and it was a bit of a pig job to do. Didn0't have to take out anything else or drop the subframe.

However, there are some difficult access screws which I used this tool to undo:

I think it was the 18mm one. There is just about enough space to do it. However I used my mate's garage and he has a pit.

jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 22:39   #92
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

OK - far easier this time around as I had greased everything last time. £95 arms are identical to the £230 Mapco ones I bought last time. Came in a box marked D2P - but not a lot of help as now their web site no longer list them. So I presume I picked up obsolte stock on ebay.

Came in at 5pm, out by 5.15, did both arms on the drive - lovely evening - listened to Argentina getting thrashed. 1 stop for meal and finished and all put away after a test drive by 9.45. Would have been quicker but pushing the bushes on the arms was way more difficult than every I remember it. I had to improvise a large press effect with two pieces of studding and various bars. That all took about 90 minutes. This time, I did not take the struts out, but left everything in place. I took a risk with trying to align the 2 bolts on the bush housing as the housing is twisted by a large angle due to the pre-load. I could have done with a second person helping me. I jacked up the ball joint under the strut and lifted it up, compressing the road spring until I could get alignment. That all took a significant period of time. But overall well chuffed. But another 40K miles and I reckon I will be there again. Pot holes and dodgy road surfaces is probably what is destroying the ball joints.
BX51 2.0 V6 Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote