Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2018, 12:40   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Help with near side drive shaft, updated question

Yet again I find myself in a blind panic.

I cannot get the nearside drive shaft to go back in to the "gearbox" of a Diesel.
when I fitted the new circlip it looks to have stretched a little, it is open more then it was before fitting.

I cannot get the drive shaft back in, it was a cow to get out with the old circlip.

Please can you advise how to "force" the drive shaft home into the "gearbox"?

thank you

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 18th July 2018 at 13:49..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 13:32   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

There isn't a circlip actually on the OS driveshaft - it usually is retained in the diff housing when you remove the shaft. I normally don't bother trying to replace this, unless there was an issue with the shaft being loose or the seal leaking etc. How did you get the old one out ?

The shaft should go back in quite easily - feed it in a straight line into the diff, and turn it gently whilst pushing it into the diff - it should slide/click into place. Put some LM grease on the shaft splines, and some red rubber grease around the seal before fitting the shaft - this helps it go in more easily, and protects the oil seal from damage. Sometimes, the inner bearing housing/assembly on the shaft fouls the support bracket, stopping the shaft from going in, but it is just a case of manoeuvring it out of the way, so the inner end of the shaft can go into the diff.

Good luck- let us know how you get on.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 13:47   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

sorry panic took over, circlip is on near side as you say and it is the near side I'm having trouble with.
When you say you don't replace it do you mean you don't fit a new one or you don't fit one at all and leave it off? I was trying to do things right so fitted a new one, right now... wish I hadn't.

I had to use a crow bar on the near side between the joint closest to the gear box and gear box. It was tough to get it out

macafee2
Old 18th July 2018, 13:50   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Eastepete is not going mad in his reply above, original post did say off side, now corrected to near side

macafee2
Old 18th July 2018, 14:01   #5
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
sorry panic took over, circlip is on near side as you say and it is the near side I'm having trouble with.
When you say you don't replace it do you mean you don't fit a new one or you don't fit one at all and leave it off? I was trying to do things right so fitted a new one, right now... wish I hadn't.

I had to use a crow bar on the near side between the joint closest to the gear box and gear box. It was tough to get it out

macafee2
On both occasions when I've removed these the shorter of the 2 was a pig to get out and a bit of a pig to get in.

The short shaft has the clip. My long ones didn't.

How far out are you?

As Pete says you have to twist and push until it kind of slips in. I've never got one completely home by pushing. It has always needed some very judicious tapping ( tapping!! ) with a suitable wooden drift and a light(ish) hammer.

That has applied to both sides for me.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 14:56   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
On both occasions when I've removed these the shorter of the 2 was a pig to get out and a bit of a pig to get in.

The short shaft has the clip. My long ones didn't.

How far out are you?

As Pete says you have to twist and push until it kind of slips in. I've never got one completely home by pushing. It has always needed some very judicious tapping ( tapping!! ) with a suitable wooden drift and a light(ish) hammer.

That has applied to both sides for me.
I'm perhaps 1/2 inch out but not sure as shaft is now laying on cloth on the floor. I think it engauges with the spline inside the gearbox and so assume the problem is the circlip not closing and allowing the shaft to slide fully in

Tapping it home, the shaft ( near side) collapses (slides together) in one or two places. Do collapse the shaft and then tap it on the end where the hub nut goes?
I've had to look judicious up. How hard do you tap?

I've not tried the off side shaft, I'm panicked enough with the near side.

macafee2
Old 18th July 2018, 15:25   #7
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I'm perhaps 1/2 inch out but not sure as shaft is now laying on cloth on the floor. I think it engauges with the spline inside the gearbox and so assume the problem is the circlip not closing and allowing the shaft to slide fully in

Tapping it home, the shaft ( near side) collapses (slides together) in one or two places. Do collapse the shaft and then tap it on the end where the hub nut goes?
I've had to look judicious up. How hard do you tap?

I've not tried the off side shaft, I'm panicked enough with the near side.

macafee2
Mate, deep breath and relax. Have a cup of tea or something and try again. Things are always better after a break. You got it out of the hole so you'll be able to get it back in again.

Let me go and have a look on mine as the old brain ain't what it used to be.

Both times I've done mine with the shafts still attached to the hub....

Right, back from a quick look and gven myself a brain refresh.

I hasten to add this approach is not mentioned in the Haynes manual and there will be titters and tutters and I'm sure much shaking of heads in judgement. But there you go the risk of sharing I suppose.

On the short shaft, I lined up the shaft, faffed until it started to go in, then utilised the weight of the hub on the shock, rocked back and forth with a little more emphasis on the forth until it went home. When it finally goes home it is quite a positive action so you know its there.

I followed a similar procedure with the long shaft. However for final fitting of this I have on both occasions had to use a wooden drift on the flange where it meets the oil seal on the gearbox itself. I always seem to have about a 10mm gap from the face of the flange to the oils seal. A couple of light taps and it pops home.
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 16:25   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

NS shaft - I do replace the circlip, then grease up the splines and oil seal - push it in as far as it will go, keeping it straight, then normally use a rubber or plastic mallet to tap it home.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 17:43   #9
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

I have found its needs fairly high steady pressure pushing, then still pushing, a sharp tap with a mallet to jolt it in.

Last edited by RoverP480; 18th July 2018 at 17:45.. Reason: improve responce
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2018, 18:05   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I have used Daveluck's method and the drive shaft seems to have gone in.

Would have liked the drive shaft to have been straighter then it was but it seems to have worked.

Appreciate the advice given

macafee2