Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th September 2018, 21:00   #41
minty2
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David.
Here are your photo's below Arctic.
Arctic, my sills were in worse condition than that and I also had a nasty dent, which as it turns out, had made the problem a lot worse on one side, taken out. The shop I've taken the car to does both metalwork and painting and while certainly more expensive, is highly trustworthy. He's also fairly local, which is easier for me. Thanks anyway to you both!
minty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 21:06   #42
peelaaa
Posted a thing or two

75 cdti 2004 contemporary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
It's completely normal for water to enter the internal cavities of a car bodyshell (there are simply too many access points for manufacturers to be able to seal everything completely). Couple that to the condensation that will naturally occur on the inside of panels in the winter and you can see it's inevitable that damp will get inside and run to the bottom, due to gravity.

There has been plenty of discussion about why the rear sills on 75/ZT rot out and having completed quite extensive repairs previously on my Tourer, my own thoughts are as follows:

Firstly, there is a drain hole at the rear of the sill, so as long as this isn't blocked, water should eventually escape. However, just ahead of this is the internal jacking bracket. Surprisingly, this is welded to the vertical part of the inner sill, but NOT to the flat lower section of the outer sill. Here, it just rests against it. This leaves a very small gap between the two (the outer sill being far thinner metal), but it's enough space for the water to collect between the two panels and not dry out.

Secondly, if the jacking pads are not fitted, the remaining (quite large) hole that's left in the sill, will allow water and mud that's thrown up to collect inside the internal jacking bracket. Unfortunately, the edges of this are turned up to increase it's strength but this then means that anything that's wet and corrosive will collect inside and can't get out.

Lastly, the rear section of sill (unlike the front jacking point, although these are starting to go on older 75's nowadays) are connected directly to the rear quarter panel. Any moisture that collects inside this panel (from trim clips, condensation, etc.) and is over the front half of the rear wheelarch, HAS to run into the rear of the sill before it can escape out onto the road - hence the back section gets more than it's fair share of moisture to deal with.

Personally, I'm a fan of leaving the jacking pads fitted to keep the worst of the muck spray out, but leaving them out in the hot summer months to allow warmer air to circulate and dry things out as. There are also various holes where wax/oil can be inserted - behind the arch liner, on the inner sill and from behind the sill chrome strip, so any thin rust prevention fluid that'll squeeze itself under the jacking bracket has got to be good news if the sills are dried out properly first.

It's always a shame to hear of good cars possibly being scrapped just because this small area is starting to rust. Younger members of this forum will not be aware of corrosion in the 70's and 80's, when you could end up spending your weekends welding on complete length sills (not just 12" ) and continuing on to add rear wheelarches, spare wheel wells, door pillar bottoms, inner door frames and skins, front suspension top mounts, front panels and even footwells that had tin plate pop-riveted on to cover the holes !

Just ask Oxford Blue about a certain green Renault 12 estate...
I remember rust well,, I ran a few alfa suds in my time. One time when jacking the car, the sill just crumbled and the jack went right into the car between the door and sill.
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 12:18   #43
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I took my FL 2 for it's mot at 11.30 am today passed again no advisories nine in a row now and no advisories well chuffed.

I did mention the MGZT and how the sill had corrosion round the jacking point, he did no seem concerned, then went on to state because it is not in an area classed as dangerous ie the suspension, seat anchor area & so on he said it would not be a fail.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 12:33   #44
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelaaa View Post
I remember rust well,, I ran a few alfa suds in my time. One time when jacking the car, the sill just crumbled and the jack went right into the car between the door and sill.
This is what greeted me a few weeks back when I cut off the outer sill of my MGB. I have just finished the welding- complete floor pan edge, sill floor (castle) rail, inner sill , outer sill, central cross member end, and rear wheel arch front section all repaired or replaced. I have now got to start on the other side ! The car looked clean and solid from the outside apart from a few rust bubbles starting to come through at the end of the NS sill.
I have painted all of the inner surfaces with Bondaprimer and chassis paint, and when the painting is finished, I will blast Dinitrol 3125 into all the enclosed sill sections.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MGB sill 06.18 003.jpg (112.1 KB, 118 views)
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 12:37   #45
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Afternoon,
It is interesting to note that one MOT inspector has a different view to another as my 75 failed the MOT on the corroded sill. Never mind it needed to be repaired.
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2018, 14:36   #46
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWMGTF View Post
Afternoon,
It is interesting to note that one MOT inspector has a different view to another as my 75 failed the MOT on the corroded sill. Never mind it needed to be repaired.
Hi David.
Yes I was quite surprised when he stated it to me, and he a MOT tester that is thorough, he also lets you stand next to the car while he is testing it, there is a viewing lane in which you stand behind a barrier.

I think I will still take it down to the garage where he tests and get him to have a look in real life, see if his mind changes

ad altiora tendo.

Old 16th December 2018, 17:24   #47
robn

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Another happy customer

Of: http://www.tjhobbs.com

Saw Tom on Monday after reading about him here and having been told about him by Phil (thanks).

He is a really nice guy (as his dad who was also around) and did a fabulous job rebuilding the rear end of the drivers side sill which had corroded.

Highly recommended!
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 17:33   #48
squire
Posted a thing or two

MGB GT, 2 Morris Minor Travellers

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Of: http://www.tjhobbs.com

Saw Tom on Monday after reading about him here and having been told about him by Phil (thanks).

He is a really nice guy (as his dad who was also around) and did a fabulous job rebuilding the rear end of the drivers side sill which had corroded.

Highly recommended!
I can only fully endorse your comments regarding Tom's work, had my nearside will jacking point repaired by him. Excellent job done and totally recommended.

Martyn
squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 01:41   #49
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi David.
Yes I was quite surprised when he stated it to me, and he a MOT tester that is thorough, he also lets you stand next to the car while he is testing it, there is a viewing lane in which you stand behind a barrier.

I think I will still take it down to the garage where he tests and get him to have a look in real life, see if his mind changes
Quick update on this took car to MOT station one look at it and decided yes it would be a fail with the plates as they are pop riveted.

The repair as to be a continuous weld, for it to pass a MOT.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 17th December 2018, 02:59   #50
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

I reckon it is in the manufacture and design. My tourer has never been used in winter, sits in the garage from November till end of March. Hole in the sill on one side discovered at MOT a few weeks ago, other side solid. Same sill, same place seems to be a theme. Almost new when I bought it, only used for pleasure in nice weather. Chap who welded it said the inside of the sills have a good coat of Waxoil, so if it is going to go it is going to go.
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote