Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2019, 23:26   #1
Saxyem
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Default Gear problems

Hi, I tried another thread and heard nothing so here goes:

I had the clutch changed in my 75 tourer in November, it was a Borg and Beck 3 part, I was told that and supposedly that you do not need to change the other part the first time around and I am just going by what mechanics seem to say.

Anyway, every since it has been done occasionally it did not like going from 5th into 4th gear, and grated if you understand that, now it has become much worse, it grates from 3rd to 4th sometimes and like I said, 5th to 4th, it is almost like it is jumping out or not quite going in enough and I am thinking that it seems to be worse when it has heated up, this may just be me but it has started driving me potty.

I was wondering if anyone here could possibly enlighten me as to what the issue may be, I have spent so much on this car and I am honestly at wits end, every week there seems to be something needing doing on it.

Preferably I would like to keep it but I just cannot afford to keep spending on it so often. Please could anyone help or advise what you think it could be.
Saxyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 05:05   #2
Drummer Boy
Regular poster

ZT-T

I just had a clutch change on my diesel tourer too, and within a week I had an issue where one of the two gear selector cables became disengaged. They attach to the selector which you will find under the battery box. If the bushes are starting to degrade you may find it more difficult to select a gear. Mine disintegrated and I wasn't able to select a gear at all.

Of course, I'm sure there are many other reasons for your symptoms; this is just my own recent experience.
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 11:03   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Gear cable/selector issue as mentioned is a possibility, or there is air in the hydraulics and they need bleeding properly. Was the slave and/or master cylinder changed at the same time as the B&B clutch was installed. What make of slave cylinder was fitted ?

I would come over to Kings Cliffe to have a look, but I am up to my eyes in other projects (house DIY, MGB rebuild, garden etc.) at the moment, with hardly a moment to spare.

Cheers

Peter
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2019, 20:22   #4
Saxyem
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Gear cable/selector issue as mentioned is a possibility, or there is air in the hydraulics and they need bleeding properly. Was the slave and/or master cylinder changed at the same time as the B&B clutch was installed. What make of slave cylinder was fitted ?

I would come over to Kings Cliffe to have a look, but I am up to my eyes in other projects (house DIY, MGB rebuild, garden etc.) at the moment, with hardly a moment to spare.

Cheers

Peter
Yes a metal Tazu and slave was changed, strangely enough, when it is started the clutch pedal is extremely creaky sounding until it warms up, almost like the sound of a rusty spring if you can imagine that.
Old 17th March 2019, 21:07   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxyem View Post
Yes a metal Tazu and slave was changed.
There's your issue.
Old 17th March 2019, 21:16   #6
Saxyem
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
There's your issue.
What the new Tazu? that was replaced last year, I think about 8 months ago now, surely it can't be broken already?