Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2019, 11:53   #11
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I have just caught up on the MGB GT episode. The presenters are great- much better and less irritating than those on most other car makeover shows. Unfortunately, the philosophy is still to take a cheap car and do a bare minimum makeover, to sell on at a quick profit. The sunroof work on the BGT was quite impressive, but basically the sill patch up work was just Olympic standard bodgery, followed by a 're-spray' using rattle cans. I have just completed sill replacement work on my MGB GT and I know how much work and cost is involved in doing the job properly. I would have valued the finished car at no more than 2000 pounds, yet the poor lady who bought it for her husband paid 3500. It might give them a few years fun motoring, but all the rust will then come through again, and it will just be a 500 pound project car once again.

It would be nice to see a TV show where a classic car restoration was shown in detail, with the work being done properly to a high standard, but I guess that would probably cost too much, and be rather dull viewing for a modern TV audience. Still, I will probably watch Flipping Bangers again, since I much prefer the style and presenters to those of Car SOS, Wheeler Dealers etc.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 17:25   #12
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Strange that they were prepared to crush a gorgeous Alfa Romeo 155 because of advanced corrosion, yet the terminal MGBGT was saved.
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote