Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th May 2019, 20:23   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Bit of advice on HK HiLine upgrade

I've now fitted a BMW 16:9 widescreen (Alpine with CD back) and tried it out with a BM54 Professional remote receiver/amplifier (Becker) fitted with a pin gender changer jumper loom (from AC Services, Hockenheim). Unfortunately it still didn't display anything widescreen, everything was still the same size as the original HiLine screen but the programme presentation/layout was a little different but clearly same school font/colourwise!
I've not played around much with the 'new' set-up so have no idea if there are any of the audio improvements I was expecting but it seems to work OK but for the time being I've now reverted to a VDO Siemens radio/amplifier (a different one to my original which was really playing up and must have been partly goosed due to water ingress).
Have I done something wrong (or not done something I should have) 'cos it's cost me circa £200 so far and I haven't got anything to show for it and the sat. nav. DVD drive was to be the next upgrade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0573-1.jpg (116.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2019-05-03 at 18.48.11.jpg (17.7 KB, 31 views)
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 07:29   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Hi John

The display for the screen is driven by the sat nav drive so you'll need the mk 4 dvd fitted before the screen displays widescreen.

Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 07:40   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MBO View Post
Hi John

The display for the screen is driven by the sat nav drive so you'll need the mk 4 dvd fitted before the screen displays widescreen.

Jim
That's what I hadn't appreciated. I'm sure I saw a complete write-up here with images showing the display changes as the various upgrade options were added but I can't find it. Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 15:37   #4
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

I believe that you also need the wide-screen TV module from the BMW. Think the standard one only does 4:3.

The Mk4 DVD does give a lot more modern looking display for the menus etc.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2019, 18:09   #5
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post
I believe that you also need the wide-screen TV module from the BMW. Think the standard one only does 4:3.

Oops correct that fact had slipped my mind , well it is getting on for nine years since I did a similar upgrade.

Iirc correctly I upgraded in this order:-

BM24
Widescreen Bord Monitor
Hybrid TV Tuner
Mk4 DVD Navigation Unit

Wasn't bothered about the bluetooth phone function so I went the cheaper route with a BM24 and the tape version of the bord monitor.

Jim
Old 14th May 2019, 19:30   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvo View Post

Is that not the correct item in image 1?
Old 14th May 2019, 21:50   #7
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Is that not the correct item in image 1?
Yes, that is the right screen but there is the TV tuner for it in the boot, even though you don't get TV more through analogue pretty sure you need this.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2019, 08:32   #8
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Hi John

Apologies for leading you astray, memory is not what it was once!

As kelvo says the bord monitor screen is driven by the TV tuner and to have it to display correctly you'll also need a BMW widescreen TV tuner such as this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-E...frcectupt=true

There's several currently on eBay just make sure you search for "BMW widescreen TV tuner".

I fitted a BMW hybrid analogue/digital TV tuner when I upgraded, can't see any available on eBay at the moment though this company do digital upgrades to analogue units

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Range...53.m1438.l2649

As you've the CD version of the board monitor and a BM54 are you thinking of adding the bluetooth phone function, if so you'll also need a BMW ULF control unit and fabricate a harness for it.

Jim
Old 15th May 2019, 09:09   #9
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

John

I thought I'd given away all my BMW software, seems I hadn't as I've found two DVDs, one has MK4 software update SW4-1/02 with the following splashscreen

and the other is a copy of BMW road map europe high 2009-2, I know it's rather out of date but it would do until you source a newer one. As regards up to date mapping I used Rusty found him very helpful, he'll also do an upgrade disc with another splashscreen.

You're very welcome to both of them, I've an idea we're quite close so pm me with your address if you want them and I'll pop round.

Jim
Old 20th May 2019, 23:15   #10
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MBO View Post
John

I thought I'd given away all my BMW software, seems I hadn't as I've found two DVDs, one has MK4 software update SW4-1/02 with the following splashscreen

and the other is a copy of BMW road map europe high 2009-2, I know it's rather out of date but it would do until you source a newer one. As regards up to date mapping I used Rusty found him very helpful, he'll also do an upgrade disc with another splashscreen.

You're very welcome to both of them, I've an idea we're quite close so pm me with your address if you want them and I'll pop round.

Jim
Jim,
Sorry, just spotted it - somehow not seen your post. That's a very kind offer, I think I've found a 2002 Mk4 unit but I'm not around just now. Can I drop you note when I'm back