Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th May 2019, 11:42   #1
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Sat nat drive

I've just fitted a Mk4 DVD drive unit (ex BMW X5). It seems to work and the BMW 16:9 bordmonitor is displaying OK. I found a BMW disc in the unit (it ejects and accepts a disc OK) but it's not reading anything. The disc has BMW and "1993-1998 Navigation Technologies B.V. Part No. T1000-0495" and Great Britain 1999-1 on it so it's really old stuff, is it even a DVD?
Will a DVD reader (Mk4) read a CD disc from a Mk3 - I've got the original 2004 Navteq that came with my HiLine - just so I can test it's actually working or will I have to obtain a more up to date BMW DVD version first.
Just want to be sure I've not got a duff DVD drive.....and it's now started to show a BMW X5 splash screen

Last edited by rab60bit; 25th May 2019 at 17:37..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 10:59   #2
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I've just fitted a Mk4 DVD drive unit (ex BMW X5). It seems to work and the BMW 16:9 bordmonitor is displaying OK. I found a BMW disc in the unit (it ejects and accepts a disc OK) but it's not reading anything. The disc has BMW and "1993-1998 Navigation Technologies B.V. Part No. T1000-0495" and Great Britain 1999-1 on it so it's really old stuff, is it even a DVD?
Will a DVD reader (Mk4) read a CD disc from a Mk3 - I've got the original 2004 Navteq that came with my HiLine - just so I can test it's actually working or will I have to obtain a more up to date BMW DVD version first.
Just want to be sure I've not got a duff DVD drive.....and it's now started to show a BMW X5 splash screen
Hi John

The Mk4 can read CD-ROMs as that's what is used to upgrade the system ie: to install the latest software or update the splashscreen, though I've never tried seeing if it would read a Mk3 navigation CD.

Have you also upgraded to a widescreen tv/video unit yet as the system isn't going to display correctly until you have one installed.

As previously mentioned I've a BMW Road Map Europe High 2009-2 DVD which even though being old would be a better bet to check your Mk4 with, plus a v:32 SW 4-1/02 update CD-ROM with a MG-Rover splashscreen.

Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019, 12:24   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MBO View Post
Hi John

The Mk4 can read CD-ROMs as that's what is used to upgrade the system ie: to install the latest software or update the splashscreen, though I've never tried seeing if it would read a Mk3 navigation CD.

Have you also upgraded to a widescreen tv/video unit yet as the system isn't going to display correctly until you have one installed.

As previously mentioned I've a BMW Road Map Europe High 2009-2 DVD which even though being old would be a better bet to check your Mk4 with, plus a v:32 SW 4-1/02 update CD-ROM with a MG-Rover splashscreen.

Jim
Jim,
Just wanted to prove/quick check that the new drive was 'working' normally as the vendor is now on holiday (I hope it's just a holiday....) in Spain. At this moment I'm not sure what I've purchased, was surprised to find that old disc inside but now uncertain if it's actually reading since I can't vouch for the disc integrity/usefulness. When it's inserted the screen requests 'to wait' and after about 30 sec changes to 'No CD/DVD, insert CD/DVD disc'
Clearly your discs should now clear up any mystery before I go spending more dosh on a BMW TV/hybrid module (or getting a refund on the drive). The widescreen is fitted and the 'old' 4:3 screen fonts/format have changed plus I've got the X5 splashscreen which I guess is embedded in the Mk4 drive firmware.
I'll PM you - if you are free/around over this weekend/early in the week maybe I could drop over

Last edited by rab60bit; 26th May 2019 at 12:27..
Old 26th May 2019, 13:39   #4
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Quote:
Jim,
Just wanted to prove/quick check that the new drive was 'working' normally as the vendor is now on holiday (I hope it's just a holiday....) in Spain. At this moment I'm not sure what I've purchased, was surprised to find that old disc inside but now uncertain if it's actually reading since I can't vouch for the disc integrity/usefulness. When it's inserted the screen requests 'to wait' and after about 30 sec changes to 'No CD/DVD, insert CD/DVD disc'
Clearly your discs should now clear up any mystery before I go spending more dosh on a BMW TV/hybrid module (or getting a refund on the drive). The widescreen is fitted and the 'old' 4:3 screen fonts/format have changed plus I've got the X5 splashscreen which I guess is embedded in the Mk4 drive firmware.
I'll PM you - if you are free/around over this weekend/early in the week maybe I could drop over
Hi John

Are you now getting a proper 16:9 display or is it a stretched 4:3?

PM me by all means to arrange a time and I can pop round to yours when it's convenient.

Was off to Capesthorne hall today but the weather this morning put the stop to that though I might go tomorrow, other than that I'm free most of next week.

Jim
Old 26th May 2019, 20:37   #5
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MBO View Post
Hi John

Are you now getting a proper 16:9 display or is it a stretched 4:3?

PM me by all means to arrange a time and I can pop round to yours when it's convenient.

Was off to Capesthorne hall today but the weather this morning put the stop to that though I might go tomorrow, other than that I'm free most of next week.

Jim
Jim,
it's 4:3 (not sure if it's a bit stretched but wide black side strips and narrow black strip top and bottom) ), the X5 splash appears to be a proportional full screen. I'll be in touch
Old 26th May 2019, 21:27   #6
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Quote:
Jim,
it's 4:3 (not sure if it's a bit stretched but wide black side strips and narrow black strip top and bottom) ), the X5 splash appears to be a proportional full screen. I'll be in touch
Ah right John misinterpreted your previous comment about the X5 splashscreen, the display will be still be being driven by the 4:3 video module hence the black stripes.

However we could still check and update the mk4 prior to fitting a 16:9 video module.

Jim