Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2019, 20:16   #21
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

my son is hoping to pick up some work while travelling to lesson the blow to his savings.
He saves well but still goes out.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 07:47   #22
OliverTailor
Spammer. Banned.

Rover 75 Saloo

I am 28 year old male who if going to take a gap year to see the world, in particlular USA. I'd like to travel across the country, starting in Florida and finishing off in somewhere such as San Diego, I just do not know what to look for though. I was hoping for any bit of advice that you guys might have. BTW the spam links I inserted into my forums posts have been removed and I am now banned.
OliverTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 08:35   #23
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default Travel while young

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
my son is hoping to pick up some work while travelling to lesson the blow to his savings.
He saves well but still goes out.

macafee2
I did most of my early travelling when a youngster as an engineer in the Merchant Navy and got paid to do it, but a dock road in one country looks much the same as one in any another save for the difference in ambient temperature and colour of the locals. Travel did not so much broaden the mind, but allowed me to get very drunk and very often in foreign climes with like minded idiots. On the upside,It did on the other hand , let me know that there is a great big world out there and that it should be explored at every opportunity. My home town had suffered the vagaries of unemployment and the grocer's daughter's efforts to beat the North of England into total subserviance ( with a great deal of success, it would now appear)and knew that I had to leave my homeland. Coming shoreside, at 24, after 8 years of freedom from drudgery, i found that I ran away from unemployment's uncertainty and chose further adventure rather than fall back inline. Left the navy on the Saturday, married on the following Tuesday and Asia bound one week later ending up in Oz - a place i had been on a number of occasions when at sea.
The wife and I have spent the last almost 40 years travelling as much as careers allowed, but always got away overseas at least twice a year with as many Oz explorations we could manage in between.
We retired early 15 months ago, mainly due to health issues for both of us, but being aware of the fragility of life has only increased our intensity for getting out there and getting amongst it. Only been home 6 months out of that 15 and planning more.
Shake your lad by the hand, wish him well and let him go his own way. Travelling makes you resourceful, self confident and self sufficient. All these traits make you eminently employable in the medium term. You have one life. It is to be lived . I admire younger people that break away from the mindset where their parents have guided them. Perhaps the sensible genes inherited from previous generations prevent a lot of people from cutting the ties that bind. For us, it has been a very positive experience that will happen many more times before we leave this world kicking and squealing. Then again, we never had kids, so the story may have been a whole lot different if we had. We will never know, but will also not die wondering either.
Roker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2019, 09:19   #24
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverTailor View Post
I am 28 year old male who if going to take a gap year to see the world, in particlular USA. I'd like to travel across the country, starting in Florida and finishing off in somewhere such as San Diego, I just do not know what to look for though. I was hoping for any bit of advice that you guys might have.
12 years ago I drove across USA from coast to coast took 2 months or more and really enjoyed it . The only itinerary I had was to visit some of the big National parks such as Yellowstone, Grand Canyon , Monument valley etc and visit some friend and family on the way . Other than that I followed my nose. I wouldn't try to get work on the way unless you apply for a work Visa. Also be aware some none prescription drugs in UK are prescription only in US e.g. Codeine . Some states accept UK driving licences other need an international one .
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 17:08   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I did my A levels in the late 1960’s. And taking a whole year off back then just wasn’t heard off. Package tours had only been going (for “the masses”) for about a decade. So my travelling was round Europe.

Now my kids think nothing of flying all over the world. The eldest and his lovely wife are having Christmas in Singapore and Malaysia this year. The plan is my niece and her Aussie husband may fly out from Brisbane to meet them.

My travelling this Christmas will be down to the pub about 10min away.

My excuse is they don’t sell Ringwood 49’er in Singapore

But these days - when I used to interview candidates - the notable ones were those that had had some “life experience”. Exam results are obviously important but a candidate who had “traveled” invariably brought so much more to the table.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2019, 18:24   #26
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts
Default To Travel

The longer the road, the wider the mind. It’s not just the travelling, or where they go, it’s the people they meet. How better to understand what makes people tick than to meet so many from different places and disciplines.

We are all different but if they stay ‘local’ they will get a limited experience of Life in General and only follow a limited route, which will of course only serve to limit themselves.

One or two years out of the average life is a small price to pay for such huge benefits that will serve them well and guarantee a fuller future than they would otherwise enjoy or even know about.

Yes, the parents will sacrifice their presence but your blessings will pay dividends. That’s what parents are for, kids don’t come free! And they will bring so much back, not just to their parents but to all they meet. A change is an opportunity wrapped in a surprise, who knows where it will lead.
Old 7th August 2019, 20:01   #27
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Not that long now before he an his girlfriend leave.
I do so hope thy enjoy the time and come back. I would accept it but not like it if they settled else where in the world

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 15:28   #28
Sdeh
Avid contributor

Manual Rover 75 S Reg, Rover 75 Auto, Rover SD1 2300S,

I don’t like living in the UK but have to live here till I am 21 and have the money to move to the states next year when I pass my test I want to put a roof rack on the 75 and fill the back of the car and a roof rack up and go on a road trip next year in the summer holidays but I would need a way of money or stop buying parts and modifications for my 75 and start saving now I want to go over to the states when I’m 21 with either my mates or my family for holiday but will probably buy a house over there at 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas
Sdeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2019, 18:24   #29
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Your ambitions are admirable. Best of luck.
Old 8th August 2019, 19:20   #30
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER2003 View Post
I don’t like living in the UK but have to live here till I am 21 and have the money to move to the states next year when I pass my test I want to put a roof rack on the 75 and fill the back of the car and a roof rack up and go on a road trip next year in the summer holidays but I would need a way of money or stop buying parts and modifications for my 75 and start saving now I want to go over to the states when I’m 21 with either my mates or my family for holiday but will probably buy a house over there at 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t wait until your 21, start saving now. To raise funds for savings, you could sell your fleet for parts or scrap. Definitely stop buying parts and ask for help if your not sure how to save. Last week one of my nephews came round for supper. It’s a fact since the age of 8, he has saved and squirrelled money away. He is now in his late 20’s. He said “ I have got something to tell you, I have saved £50,000 to put down on a house”. I am very happy for him.

I wish you every success in realising your goal and dream.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote