Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2019, 14:21   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamagorum View Post
Hi Ian
Already contacted vendor and don't want to get involved in bidding war. pm sent
Geoff
Geoff, no problem. Go for it. Take a look at the mot history
pm replied to, thank you for making contact.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 14:22   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
What do you mean duff clutch? If it is still driving and not slipping you can drive the car without a clutch, just start it in gear and go up and down the box using revs to match speed and you can select gears
I can only go by advert so all I know is it sys clutch has gone

macafee2
Old 11th August 2019, 14:27   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

As you can see from another post another member is interested and so I will only come into play if he does not get the car.
It is a long way for me and cost of transport was a concern, in truth I'd prefer ne much closer.

thank you all for the advice and offers of help.

lets hope the car is saved

macafee2
Old 11th August 2019, 14:30   #14
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
If you are totally stuck I have somewhere in the garage an A frame that fastens on to the bottom wishbones and fastens down with ratchet tie belts. The other end fits on the tow ball. To tow you just disengage the steering lock and you can pull the car no driver required. You would need a lighting board running off the tow car.
I would say I am up in Scotland and suspect postage would be about twenty pounds. Remember the tow car has to be as big as the car you are pulling.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan,
that's very kind thank you. I'm not too clear on the law with regards towing with an A frame. Another member is going after the car so it is probably as far as I will go with this

macafee2
Old 11th August 2019, 20:24   #15
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Worth a read if you want to stay legal and insured...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...kmECSqCuXC-btF
Old 12th August 2019, 09:07   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post

Good link, thank you, still a bit grey, if the car is broken down, duff clutch would mean broken down then there are special provisions made, alas the page did not seem to advise what these are and so I have emailed asking for advice.

useful link, thanks. Also pm sent

macafee2
Old 12th August 2019, 09:23   #17
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post

Well that is a good read - any government legal information that starts with 'we consider' and 'we believe' suggests that they don't actually know.

They need to come up with something more definitive. Perhaps they are waiting for a court case or two to set precedent?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 11:38   #18
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

A quick google for the towing weight of a Rover 620ti shows it at 1200kg max.

An MG Metro at approx 1000kg plus 4-wheel trailer at about 500kg gives 1500kg total. So I'd have a rough guess, you were at least a quarter tonne over weight on that one, maybe even 300kg ?

Secondly, the ZT (without knowing what engine & gearbox were fitted) at best must've been around 1400kg if a 1.8 manual, so once again you'd have been way over your weight limit of a braked trailer behind the 620ti, let alone that of an A-frame which I'd be quite certain had no coupling to the brakes of the ZT ?

If it did, maybe you could tell us all how the coupled/connected system actually worked ??

Just because you proudly claim your car with 200bhp made it feel like 'it wasn't there once rolling' does not:

a) make either set-up legal or safe.
b) mean you'd be insured if you lose control on a bend or whilst braking unexpectedly and have a head-on with an innocent oncoming car or motorcyclist.

Equally, your consistant disregard (I'm sure I've read elsewhere of you towing an MG Montego back from Cornwall with the 620ti - again completely illegal based on 1200kg towing weight) to ensure your combination is safe will mean that you are:

c) over-loading both the 620 braking and suspension systems, not to mention the rear floor, integral chassis rails and tow bar, which will have all been tested and found to be safe UP TO THE MANUFACTURERS SPECIFIED LIMIT, which as previously said appears to be 1200kg.

So please stop posting images of illegal towing set-ups, which may give the less well informed members the wrong idea of what they can and cannot do on the public highway. Remember, it could be another forum member that you hit

I dread to think how you'd sleep at night if you end up ploughing through a crowded school bus stop one day....

Please think before you post on here, or attach anything to your 620ti towbar
Old 12th August 2019, 12:17   #19
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts

Sound advice Sonic and thanks for taking the time to post making others aware.

Over the past twenty odd years, correction rather more, I have used those various devices many times. On more than one occasion, I have parked up at a Motorway services and closeby a Police Motorway Patrol car parked with the occupants eating sandwiches. Obviously they eyeballed my "rig" but nothing done. My set up with working Tow Board looks the part.

When my ZT-T's Clutch Pedal hit the floor and stayed there, the recovering AA Van was only a 2 litre diesel.

All those dangers you outline apply equally to a perfectly legal towing set-up of course. Jack-knife scenario for the less wary. In the final analysis it's all down to the quality of the nut holding the steering wheel.

I'm left wondering how and why in recent years, these ever tighter legislation creep guidelines have been introduced. I smell the rats of creeping EU advice and influence. After all, the best safety device in any vehicle is the quality of the "nut" holding the steering wheel. More lowering of the rules to fit the lowest common denominator will never be enough.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2019, 15:20   #20
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I think there is what's legal and what people get away with.

Two entirely different things.

Obviously up to each person to decide if they want to chance it and up explaining their choices.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote