Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th August 2019, 16:37   #41
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Interesting that you use a tachograph? Do you run beyond 3.5 tons or does your towing vehicle have that capability therefore had to have one fitted when new? I ask because the guys I know in your field deliberately stay below 3.5 to avoid tacho use.
Using a tachograph or not is all about the 'gross train weight' of the combination i.e. the towing vehicle and trailer, when being used commercially, which I do for my business. Anything over 3500kg and it's a legal requirement.

My Discovery kerbweight is 2010kg (base model - so no air con, 7 seats, air suspension, etc. measured on a weigh bridge) so with my 3500kg gross transporter attached means I can be running at just over 5 tonnes, hence the need for a tacho to ensure everything remains legal and fully insured, just in case

Strictly speaking, I believe all 3.5t Transit type transporters that are fitted with a towbar, even if not actually towing a trailer, should have a tachograph if used for business purposes. Most of these have a max payload of 1300-1400kg, which is nothing more than an new Astra or Focus. A 75/ZT is cutting it fine, especially if it's a diesel or V6. Towing weight is generally around 2000kg on these, so once again, they should only ever tow small to medium sizd cars if using a twin axle trailer at 600-800kg.

It's rare that I ever get up to a total weight of 3.5t for my trailer, but will often be at 2500-3000kg.

Believe it or not, the Discovery TD5 can actually tow 4000kg if 'coupled brakes' are fitted. This was a special mod offered by Land Rover on Defenders and Discos, which added an additional pump to the engine and pipework to the rear, specifically to operate pneumatic brakes on the trailer, just like an HGV.

I've only ever seen pictures of the system and I think it was intended for large display type trailers with steering front axles, like you see at shows. The thought of 4 tonnes swinging off the back of mine fills me with dread...!!

Operator licences are also required for most business vehicles over 3500kg, but certain additional rules apply to 4x4's so this is not required in my case, kerbweight being under 2040kg - I had to explain this to a VOSA inspector a few years back, but after going away & checking, he eventually conceeded that I was correct (see the Road Traffic Act description of a dual purpose vehicle ). It's a complete minefield once you start getting indepth, and even those that are supposed to know the law inside-out can get it wrong....
Old 15th August 2019, 20:08   #42
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
It does make me wonder if my trailer is legal. Home made, by an aircraft engineer I might add. Outstanding quality but not plated in any way. Leaf spring suspension, braked and 165/13 car tyres at 40psi when fully loaded at 1 tonne. That’s as much as I dare carry. Mostly though it’s pieces of furniture or rubbish to the tip.
As long as it was built before October 28th 2012 (and I'm sure it was ) then you should be OK.

After that date you need either type or individual approval.

From 1982 trailers must be clearly marked with their maximum gross weight in kilogrammes.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 15th August 2019 at 20:38..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2019, 20:37   #43
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
If your remark about’different numberplate’ on the trailer, is made to make out that it is illegal in some way, you are incorrect. My son lives and works in Germany, and he told me that trailers have to have a mot and insurance, and a numberplate. This numberplate is different to the plate on the car he owns.So having a diff numberplate is legal on the continent.

Would be interesting to see if it is legal over here for foreign registered vehicles.

If you are a farmer you can have a different number plate on your trailer to your tractor, as long as you have a tractor with that number plate registered to the farm.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 06:06   #44
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Would be interesting to see if it is legal over here for foreign registered vehicles.

If you are a farmer you can have a different number plate on your trailer to your tractor, as long as you have a tractor with that number plate registered to the farm.
hopefully I wont be involved with a farm trailer but if I am I hope i'll remember to check trailer number plate and tractor number plate.
worth knowing, thank you mike

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 09:27   #45
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

Well, you see very many foreign artic's over here with a completely different plate on the trailer to the unit, so l think it very probably is. I imagine the trailer must always be temporarily registered to the prime mover which is hauling it at the time.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 15:09   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Re towing with an A frame.
I sent this email to International Vehicle Standards,, Department for Transport

Dear International Vehicle Standards,
I have read your web page at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies concerning the use of an A frame for towing.

Part of the article states :-
“Trailers having a maximum laden weight not exceeding 750kg are not required to have brakes fitted. However, if the trailer (regardless of mass) is fitted with a braking system, then all brakes in that system must operate correctly and efficiently. This means that the braking systems of small ‘microcars’ (under 750kg in weight) must still operate, even when the vehicle is being towed. Unless the vehicle is broken down, when C&U makes special provision.”

Alas the web page does not go on to say what the special provision is. Please could you advise on the regulations concerning the use of an A frame with a motor vehicle over 750kg in weight that has broken down. For sake of my request the vehicle weighs no more than 1700kg

Thank you in advance

I got this reply
"Thank you for your email of 12 August to our IVS enquiries inbox about towing with an A-frame. I have been asked to reply.

A broken down vehicle is not required to have working brakes, so it can be towed with an A-frame."

Yours sincerely
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 16:29   #47
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Personally, having been pushed into a skid in my 1986 Cavalier by my caravan, on which I had forgotten to undo the reversing lock on the caravan's hitch, I would not attempt to drive any distance with an unbraked tow load of much more than half the towing vehicle's weight. Even a fully loaded, small camping trailer (no brakes) pulled by a Pug 205 diesel was a nerve- racking business in stop-start holiday motorway traffic, with idiots trying to move up the queue by jumping into the gap I was trying to leave to ease the wear and tear on clutch, brakes and nerves. I haven't seen an A bar used professionally for years -they all seem to use braked, 2-wheel dollies. I did get a tow home with a rigid bar 4 miles of country lanes when the clutch cable snapped on my R19, but I was in the driver's seat, with the engine running, so my brakes worked, and there were only 2 small down gradients.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2019, 16:31   #48
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PS Back on the OP's topic, I notice Marina Brian is keeping quiet about his proximity to Newcastle! There's a man who knows 75/ZT clutches!
Old 19th August 2019, 16:34   #49
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PPS There is also a good MG/Rover dedicated mechanic called John in Blaydon.
Old 19th August 2019, 18:30   #50
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
Well, you see very many foreign artic's over here with a completely different plate on the trailer to the unit, so l think it very probably is. I imagine the trailer must always be temporarily registered to the prime mover which is hauling it at the time.

In every other European country each vehicle powered or unpowered must be registered on the road and pass a road worthiness test. This is why you see towing vehicles and trailers / caravans with different number plates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote