Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2022, 21:01   #1
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default 2.5 V6 suddenly not starting

I've been thoroughly enjoying swanning around in our 'new' Rover 75. We've driven over 300 miles without missing a beat including the Edgcombe House Classic car show which involved loads of stop start in the queues to get in. Parked up Monday night after returning number one grand daughter. Car also fired up instantly and drove normally on Tuesday.
Wednesday morning she fired up instantly and ran for about two seconds and then cut out and just played dead. Engine was turning over vigorously. So I took the Transit in to work. In the evening after a rest and a very dry and hot day, tried again. Same result. Heard the fuel pump pressurise the system. Ran for a second or so and again cut out. Next try, the engine turned vigorously on the starter, but not any hint of running.
Tank is 3/4 full. The rev counter needle works when the engine is turning.
Any pointers on how to proceed very much welcome. How can I test fuel pressure?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2022, 21:44   #2
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

What year is your car? If it's not a too early one, it could be down to the filter housing in the tank that has gone loose and thus impacting fuel pressure that is now too low. Search for "fabled orange clip" on this forum and this should point you in the right direction. The earlier, non serviceable filter housing, doesn't have this problem, they changed it in 2001 I reckon...
Old 11th August 2022, 21:55   #3
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

You have a Petrol 04 - do you have a fuel filter clip fitted - if not i would fit one - a classic non start cause on later cars and a cheap fix. See below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134166044...wAAOSwphliaa31

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2022, 07:34   #4
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

I checked the service history but couldn't find a fuel filter change anywhere, so I've ordered a fuel filter kit and a white clip from the Bay. I know I have an orange clip somewhere, but could I find it I'll report back on how the job goes next weekend. Meanwhile it will be another white van man on a morning A30 commute. At least the roadworks are more interesting from that height.
Old 14th August 2022, 07:02   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I checked the service history but couldn't find a fuel filter change anywhere, so I've ordered a fuel filter kit and a white clip from the Bay.
Hi Martin,

Changing the fuel filter is not officially specified at any time by MG Rover. In fact messing about with it in any way is not recommended by those with relevant experience (see posts by T-Cut). Just lift the filter slightly, attempt to tighten the canister and fit the clip regardless; that's the advice that's always given on the forum. Good luck!

Simon
Old 15th August 2022, 17:04   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

I've exposed the filter and it's the honeycomb type, but I'm not sure how to lift it out. I cleaned it and it looks like there is a metal locking ring around the top. Does that need a special tool? or can I loosen it by tapping a screwdriver against the raised metal lugs and drifting it anticlockwise? I assume I disconnect the fuel pipe but possibly need to be aware of fuel pressure. The fuel tank is 3/4 full.
Just received a black clip in the post today ( was expecting white but it looks right ), so raring to go.
Old 15th August 2022, 18:36   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Aha. Found a great 'how to' from T-Cut.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=9108
Old 16th August 2022, 09:11   #8
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Hi, recently had thesame issue, just for extra info you can read my thread from page 2/3:

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=319809

some extra images shown. Make sure you adjust the metal ring properly enough when done, I did not do that in the beginning and was loosing fuel. You do not want that, I tightend it sufficient now and is it good. (But do not overdo it, that could cause damage) Make sure the rubber seals are also suited properly.

I did it with a full tank of fuel, although reccomandations are to do it with less, I was not able to empty it out. Make sure you have some precautions to avoid fuel dripping and coming on the carpet, you do not want to drive with that smell. I used plastic and ductape for security against that. I needed it (!), because a bunch of fuel came out while opening the filterhouse to change the damaged filter. Be carefull to not deform the fuel pipes under the filterhouse, so tact is needed with this job. But very good to do.

Good luck.

Last edited by Azur; 16th August 2022 at 09:19..
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2022, 19:56   #9
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

New tool arrived today. Worked a dream on removing the metal locking ring which I noticed had BMW stamped on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17th August 2022, 20:38   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Removed the filter housing and found it had indeed separated and had never received the fuel filter clip. I pushed the two halves back together and realised they needed to be screwed together to finish off and be optimally locked. It was really very tight to get the last bit of rotation. When top and bottom we’re lined up I reached for the clip. Aaaaargh. No clip. I’m beginning to suspect I may have knocked the clip into the fuel tank aperture. So far can’t find it anywhere. I placed it on the carpet near to the aperture. Going to have to drive the van a bit longer until a new clip arrives. (Should put this in the ‘Wally awards’).
While experimenting with locating the now properly screwed together fuel filter, I note that there is now pressure from something within the tank applying a turning torque to the housing. This is probably the reason they slowly unscrew without the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by edwardmk; 20th August 2022 at 18:11.. Reason: typo