Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2018, 21:42   #1
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Default Change gearbox oil now clutch slipping

After having my slave cylinder changed a few months ago I noticed gear selecting felt tighter than before, Anyhow yesterday I decided to check the gearbox oil, As I drained out the oil it was obvious that the garage had put in the wrong stuff as it was yellow in colour unlike the awful smelling pink stuff I got to replace it (MTF 94 that smells a bit like cats pee!), I let the box drain for a good 10 mins to get out as much of the other stuff as I could, Then I put in just under 2 litres of the proper stuff, The gears now feel nice & smooth but the problem now is that i am getting an awful clutch slip,
I can only assume that gear oil is now finding it's way onto the clutch, Could this be that I have too much oil in the box or is it something more sinister?
finbarr saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 08:34   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

2 litres is a bit too much - the gearbox should only take 1.6 litres. I am not sure why this overfill would result in the clutch clipping, unless the oil seal behind the guide tube is leaking.

I assume the clutch plate/pressure plate were replaced at the same time as the slave - it is false economy not to.

Do you know what make of slave cylinder was fitted ? Is there any sign of oil or clutch fluid leak from the holes at the bottom of the bell housing ?

Have you checked the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder to see if you are losing fluid from the clutch hydraulics ?

The problem now is since the clutch is slipping, this suggests the clutch driven plate has become contaminated (either with gear oil or clutch fluid), and it will need to be changed, so it is a gearbox off job once again. Sorry !!

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 18:43   #3
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Cheers for that, I must confess that I only had the slave changed as the clutch was pretty new & was replaced by the last owner shortly befre I bought it, The guy that done the job for me did check the clutch & said it had plenty left on it, The slave I had fitted is a Lucas unit so not some 2 bob mickey mouse thing,
I was thinking maybe the gearbox oil seal is kaput & so I would like to locate one from somewhere, I have got a new clutch kit at the ready so it's a matter of finding the time as well as a break in the weather,
as for checking the fluid level in the master cylinder, that has got to be the most awkward thing to do.
Old 24th January 2018, 20:55   #4
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Check for gearbox oil leaking from the hole in the bell housing to be sure.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 19:19   #5
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

I know it's been a while since my original post as I have had the use of another car, Anyhow today I decided it's time to investigate my clutch woes & fit another clutch as I am missing the old girl, Managed to juggle the gear box to one side & looked inside the bell housing, Was greeted by a slave cylinder that had fallen apart (came unclipped) the moment the box was pulled away, I think it's safe to say that I should change it even though it's only a few months old instead of trying to clip it back together, Lots of wet stuff inside the bell housing which looks to be oil rather than brake fluid even though the main shaft & sleeve/oil seal seem dry,
Any other suggestions as to what to look for that might be causing this?, Just the lube from the slave perhaps?
Oh & what size Torx bit do I need for the clutch cover plate bolts as I cant find one to fit in what's left of my Torx set,,,,,,Cheers.
Old 16th April 2018, 19:26   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr saunders View Post
Cheers for that, I must confess that I only had the slave changed as the clutch was pretty new & was replaced by the last owner shortly befre I bought it, The guy that done the job for me did check the clutch & said it had plenty left on it, The slave I had fitted is a Lucas unit so not some 2 bob mickey mouse thing,
I was thinking maybe the gearbox oil seal is kaput & so I would like to locate one from somewhere, I have got a new clutch kit at the ready so it's a matter of finding the time as well as a break in the weather,
as for checking the fluid level in the master cylinder, that has got to be the most awkward thing to do.
I suspect your slave is most probably a "2 bob mickey mouse thing". It is most likely a cheaply made generic item.

Fit an Luk or AP for quality.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2018, 20:11   #7
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Got the slave on order, Now i have to order some more Torx bits so it would be appreciated if somebody could let me know the size for the clutch cover bolts,,,,Ta!.
Old 17th April 2018, 08:29   #8
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr saunders View Post
Got the slave on order, Now i have to order some more Torx bits so it would be appreciated if somebody could let me know the size for the clutch cover bolts,,,,Ta!.
6mm hex bolts on mine

Which slave have you ordered ?

Pete

Last edited by EastPete; 17th April 2018 at 10:07..
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2018, 12:00   #9
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

I never thought of hex bolts to be honest, , It's just that I read somewhere that they were torx & what with the limited view of them plus my NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- eyesight that's why I was asking,
As for the new slave cylinder I am not sure what make it is, It's because I contacted the seller who guaranteed the last one & he assures me that the new one will be of better quality, & as It'll be a free replacement I can make my own mind up when it arrives.
Old 17th April 2018, 12:02   #10
finbarr saunders
Avid contributor

ROVER 75 Tourer

Whats with the "NAUGHTY WORD" thing?, I didn't use any.