Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th April 2018, 10:03   #1
Brianw119
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Default Front subframe

I have a new subframe that was meant for a previous ZT. The subframe is for a ZT without xenons, but current car has xenons. Will this subframe fit.

If it will fit, I fancy having it protected. Do I just apply waxyol straight on to it?

Sent from my DLI-L22 using Tapatalk
Brianw119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 10:35   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Yep it will fit, the xenon self levelling bracket bolts to the subframe and then the arm clips on to the drivers side suspension arm.
Old 24th April 2018, 11:06   #3
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianw119 View Post
I
If it will fit, I fancy having it protected. Do I just apply waxyol straight on to it?
I would paint the outside of the frame with chassis black (Tetrosyl stuff is good), then inject waxoyl or some other cavity wax into the inside.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 17:34   #4
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianw119 View Post
I have a new subframe that was meant for a previous ZT. The subframe is for a ZT without xenons, but current car has xenons. Will this subframe fit.

Yes it will fit as to waxoyl I would use Dinitrol cavity wax for the inside and Dinitrol surface for the exposed surface. Dinitrol has the advantage over waxoyl or paint that it will penetrate any rust that is there that you can’t see. Though it will cost you about three times that of waxoyl which is a good budget all around wax that can be used as surface wax or cavity wax. Paint is all good and well but the surface has to be oxide free otherwise it just traps the rust under it. Sadly due to health and safety and environmental rules there is no longer a great rust converter paint. Hammerite was back in the days of chlorinated rubber based paints was fantastic cheep and a great protector. Now it’s just an average surface paint.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2018, 19:15   #5
Brianw119
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Aln, thanks for the info. Will have a look online for Dinitrol

Brianw119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 01:49   #6
Hantsdave
Loves to post

2004 CDTi SE TOURER

I totally agree with Alan. Waxoil pales by comparison to Dinitrol.
Many moons ago I restored an Ambassador and as an experiment I tested several of these products over many months in a controlled experiment and Dinitrol won hands down. A bit like the difference between WD40 and Plusgas for shifting rusted bolts.

A couple of years ago I restored a very sad 54 plate Connie and used various Dinitrol products underneath, I sold it on late last year as I missed having a tourer and on inspection underneath prior to selling it looked as good as the day I treated it. I live on the south coast near the sea and the salty air is a great encourager of tin worm but Dinitrol has proved itself many times over.

You won't be disappointed.
Previously owned..Austin Mini Countryman, Austin 1100 VDP, Princess 2200HL (x2), Ambassador VDP, TR7, Triumph Stag, Rover 820, Rover 216 GSi, Rover 420D, Rover 600 Si, Rover 600 GSi, Montego GSi, Rover 216 cabriolet, Jaguar XJ6 Gold, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Tourer CDTi (x3), Rover 75 CDT x 2, Rover 75 Connie V6, Rover 45. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 x 2, Jeep Chrokee KK Plus a few other foreign ones I'm too embarrassed to mention..
Hantsdave is offline   Reply With Quote