Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st May 2018, 11:40   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default How to remove diesel clutch pedal

How does the clutch pedal come off on a CDT/CDTI?
Read the Haynes manual and am still a bit unsure. Can it be removed by itself or do all 3 pedals have to be removed?

thank you

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 11:49   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
How does the clutch pedal come off on a CDT/CDTI?
Read the Haynes manual and am still a bit unsure. Can it be removed by itself or do all 3 pedals have to be removed?

thank you

macafee2
Remove the brass coloured spring clip on the left hand end of the pedal shaft (near the clutch pedal0.This clip is similar to the one that holds the master cylinder plunger/shaft on to the clutch pedal, so use a screwdriver to prise it off. Slide the clutch pedal off the shaft. Be careful not to lose any bits in the foot well or carpets - the spring clip and the plastic bushes/spring in the clutch pedal pivot can go walkabout during this operation. You do not really need to remove the pedal to remove the master cylinder, but if you do, grease the pedal shaft with some LM grease to stop clutch pedal squeaks.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 12:38   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Apologies Ian, but not really a thread hijack. Does anyone know what makes the pedal harder to press on the diesel? I know the pedal return spring (if it is used to return the pedal) is substantial, would a lighter spring make things easier?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 12:45   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

A worn clutch plate can cause the pedal to feel harder to push down.

All the return spring does is hold the weight of the pedal off the master cylinder when you haven't got your foot on it, so I can't see a different spring improving things.

If you want to try it release the spring and see how the pedal feels without it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 12:46   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
Remove the brass coloured spring clip on the left hand end of the pedal shaft (near the clutch pedal0.This clip is similar to the one that holds the master cylinder plunger/shaft on to the clutch pedal, so use a screwdriver to prise it off. Slide the clutch pedal off the shaft. Be careful not to lose any bits in the foot well or carpets - the spring clip and the plastic bushes/spring in the clutch pedal pivot can go walkabout during this operation. You do not really need to remove the pedal to remove the master cylinder, but if you do, grease the pedal shaft with some LM grease to stop clutch pedal squeaks.

Pete
thank you. I was getting myself into a bit of a state with a scratched left hand and not being able to get at the bolts. I have now made " the official
Rover 75 CDTI Tourer clutch master cylinder removal tool" A cut down and ground down allan key to fit in the 1/4 square hole of an 8mm socket. Selotaped the two together and slid the ring end of an 8mm spanner over the allan key. This allows me to locate the socket on the bolt and undo it.

It's only a removal tool, heaven knows how I'll refit it and this task is best done by a gymnast. Bent all ways, not a good idea at my age

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 21:47   #6
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

take the pedal off, i found it makes a huge difference when replacing the master
just make sure the rod doesnt slide through when replacing the pedal, otherwise you'll spend ages wondering why you cant get the clip back on ......... not that i would do anything like that
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote