Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th May 2019, 05:04   #1
Saxyem
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club SE CDT Tourer

Default What can be changed with gear cables?

Hello, in March I wrote on here with regards my car not going into 4th gear properly, it grates terribly, as said before the clutch and all was replaced and it started grating afterwards. I have asked for it to be looked at, now do both the actual cables have to be replaced? It's just that at the moment he is saying it is not the cables as suggested here but it is more likely to be an internal fault with the gearbox.

My angst is that it was perfectly ok prior to the replacement clutch being fitted and I don't know but what are the odds of something happening to the gearbox immediately after the clutch being done? Now it is really terrible, I even recorded the noise on my phone but don't know where and how to upload it.

The issue is only 4th gear, nothing else, 3rd to 4th, 5th to 4th, I have been trying to stick with 3-5 and 5-3, it was suggested here that is is likely to be the cables and I am all for buying some replacement ones and so need to know what i need only I have to buy the parts and they fit them, they don't usually buy them for some reason.

All advice very welcome, I need some advice as to what precisely to buy and what is involved because i just don't wish to be lead up any garden path and end up having an entire gearbox replaced.
Saxyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 09:06   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I might just be that the cables have not been properly refitted at the clutch change - they need to sit firmly in the brackets on the back of the gearbox, with the spring clips properly clipped into place. They might just need re-seating properly, without the need for new cables.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 10:31   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Grating or "crunching" is usually down to worn syncromesh in the gearbox. Have you tried double de clutching, which involves moving from higher gear to neutral, let the clutch out (in neutral) a blip of the throttle (to synchronise the gear speeds) then dip the clutch again and engage the lower gear. Up shifts require a move to neutral, let the clutch out (in neutral) dip the clutch and engage the higher gear. That's how gears were changed on "crash" gearboxes with no syncromesh. A syncromesh gear synchronises the speed of the two gears prior to meshing. Sounds complicated but does work if the synchromesh is worn.
Yank vid:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlS6DF3NjJE

Mike

Last edited by roverbarmy; 9th May 2019 at 10:35..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote