Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 25th February 2009, 18:37   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

You will have a pm shortly Reebs, you are correct, if the box doesnt perform as instructions your Vis's are not working.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 25th February 2009, 18:44   #12
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

You have a PM from me to Reebs,
Sounds like another person needs new VIS motors.
(or repair if someone can do them for you).
Old 27th February 2009, 20:33   #13
Hantsdave
Loves to post

2004 CDTi SE TOURER

Does this work on a similar principle to a stepper motor found on the old efi engines?

D.
Previously owned..Austin Mini Countryman, Austin 1100 VDP, Princess 2200HL (x2), Ambassador VDP, TR7, Triumph Stag, Rover 820, Rover 216 GSi, Rover 420D, Rover 600 Si, Rover 600 GSi, Montego GSi, Rover 216 cabriolet, Jaguar XJ6 Gold, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Tourer CDTi (x3), Rover 75 CDT x 2, Rover 75 Connie V6, Rover 45. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 x 2, Jeep Chrokee KK Plus a few other foreign ones I'm too embarrassed to mention..
Old 27th February 2009, 21:16   #14
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

You have a PM Dave, hope it is what you wanted to know.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 27th February 2009, 21:17   #15
Dan1971
Avid contributor

MK2 ZS180 hatch

Scared .... if I find they're duff ... How much for new ones ? I might not want to know ....
Old 27th February 2009, 21:20   #16
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

With a car that looks like that Dan you know you have to have it right.

Go to rimmers and punch in part no

MKE 100102 for power VIS
MKE 100110 for Balance VIS

(sit down first)

Old 28th February 2009, 08:51   #17
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantsdave View Post
Does this work on a similar principle to a stepper motor found on the old efi engines?

D.
It cannot be a similar principle. VIS valves actuators have high revs. and low torque DC motors and worm gears to reduce the speed and increase the torque.
Stepper motors are driven by current pulses, they are relatively slow and give the highest torque when stopped and at very low speeds. It decreases when the speed increases, going close to zero at their speed limit point.

Cheers,

Fidel

Old 1st March 2009, 22:56   #18
Harko

MG Zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
The VIS Motors are only fitted to the V6 Petrol Engines not in the Diesel Variants of our Cars....
When either of these stop working or both,
the Car uses more Fuel and it can significantly effect the overall Performance.
Hummm... Ok... So the car used more fuel... how much extra?

For the last 9 months or so I have noticed that I have lost about 65 miles in distance per tank-full of fuel around town - but seems to recover after a trip to cornwall (450 mile round trip) - then degrades over the next few weeks driving around town again. In other words, there is a noticeable difference in fuel economy driving around town before and directly after a long trip.

Could this be related to a VIS motor problem? Are there any other symptoms with VIS motor failure?

Harko

PS> With regards to performance... wouldn't know, I never push the engine/car at all (keep to the speed limits and change up early)
Old 1st March 2009, 23:15   #19
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harko View Post
Hummm... Ok... So the car used more fuel... how much extra?

For the last 9 months or so I have noticed that I have lost about 65 miles in distance per tank-full of fuel around town - but seems to recover after a trip to cornwall (450 mile round trip) - then degrades over the next few weeks driving around town again. In other words, there is a noticeable difference in fuel economy driving around town before and directly after a long trip.

Could this be related to a VIS motor problem? Are there any other symptoms with VIS motor failure?

Harko
Don't want to worry you but the chances are that one, or both will have packed in. Failure rate is at approx 85%, at the last Midlands meet I tested cars all of which had at least one failed, most both.
(even one that was 4 months old)

Oil ingress unsecured components, and sticking vis butterflies all cause failure.

When I got my V6 both mine were shot and you couldn't really tell that much or when they fail you just get used to it. You will certainly tell the diference when repaired.

If you don't use high revs then the power vis isn't quite as important as the balance one which operates at lower revs and will have an effect on fuel your consumption.

Don't worry too much your car won't come to any harm it just won't be at optimum.

If you can get hold of the vis tester or alternatively get to one of the meets then we can test them for you and may be able to see about repairing them for you.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
Old 1st March 2009, 23:26   #20
Harko

MG Zt-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post

...Don't worry too much your car won't come to any harm it just won't be at optimum...

Russ
Thanks Russ, I may need to see about getting these checked out. Anything to improve fuel consumption:lol:

Harko
Closed Thread