Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th June 2011, 21:47   #1
smokey

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Speakers some work

Hi All
I'm new to the club and this is my first Thread.
I have had my Rover 75 Conn. CDT for several years. I think its the best car I have ever had, but I have a speaker problem ie. the speakers cut out sometimes, not all at once.
sometimes when I turn a corner or hit a bump in the road, 1 will play sometimes 3, sometimes 2, and sometimes 4, I wonder if anyone can help please as to what it could be ? it has the Sat Nav. / Tv system / Radio / Cassett. as Standard, is there an is an easy solution ? could it be a connection block somewhere ????
Many thanks.
Smokey

Last edited by smokey; 16th June 2011 at 21:50..
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 14:45   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Assuming it was a standard fit and that none of the wiring has been cut and carved - I would suspect the plugs in the wheel wheel, where they plug into the radio amp unit, have suffered from moisture. You could try unplugging and plugging these a few times, to clean off any corrosion, plus maybe spray some electrical cleaner on the connectors. If you lift the boot carpet out, then remove the plastic cover panel in the wheel well close to the bumper, you will see the radio/amp unit and the TV receiver units.

There might also be a plug and socket which carries speaker audio tucked down behind the ashtray at the front. You could do similar a similar trick with that.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 18:27   #3
smokey

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Assuming it was a standard fit and that none of the wiring has been cut and carved - I would suspect the plugs in the wheel wheel, where they plug into the radio amp unit, have suffered from moisture. You could try unplugging and plugging these a few times, to clean off any corrosion, plus maybe spray some electrical cleaner on the connectors. If you lift the boot carpet out, then remove the plastic cover panel in the wheel well close to the bumper, you will see the radio/amp unit and the TV receiver units.

There might also be a plug and socket which carries speaker audio tucked down behind the ashtray at the front. You could do similar a similar trick with that.
Hi Harry M1BYT Thank you for the quick response on the possible causes why some of my speakers work intermittently , I will give you feed back when I get a chance to tackle it sometime this week if the dam rain stops. It would be really great if this solves the problem Many thanks. Smokey
Old 27th June 2011, 20:55   #4
smokey

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi HarryM1BYT
Well Well after all this time of annoying speakers cutting out as and when, you were spot on as to where the problem was but there was no corrision or damp just a doggie connection, I played about with the connection gently and the speakers kicked in but I was causious as to how to pull out just the speaker plug as there are such alot of wires close together in the block, there has to be a way to release just the speaker block? I will take a photo and send it to you as you may have the know how as to how to release it so I can clean it up and make a better connection. once again thanks for the tip much appreciated.
Smokey
Old 27th June 2011, 22:25   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

No problem, glad to help.

If you have managed to unplug the entire block, that is all you need do - just work it on and off a few times and it will be fine, though might try spraying them with some electrical cleaner spray.

Releasing the individual wires requires some sort of special tool made for the job and the practise to use it, so I wouldn't go there. I don't have the knack.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 13:34   #6
smokey

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
No problem, glad to help.

If you have managed to unplug the entire block, that is all you need do - just work it on and off a few times and it will be fine, though might try spraying them with some electrical cleaner spray.

Releasing the individual wires requires some sort of special tool made for the job and the practise to use it, so I wouldn't go there. I don't have the knack.
Hi Harry
I am not sure if the block just pulls off or it has hidden clips that you have to release so as to pull the block off ? I have taken a ploto but I dont know how I can insert it into this reply so you can see what it looks like. As you say there is a lot of wires there and I would want to remove the block very carefully so as not to do any damage to the connections. but I am so pleased that you guided me to the right place, what a difference it makes listening to the music with all the speakers working when your traveling.
Thanks again
Smokey