Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th September 2017, 03:16   #11
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Well today had some fine weather, took the passenger side mirror off .
Noticed a couple of things, firstly this car is a 2004 mk2 diesel and the seals on the mirrors seem way smaller than the older mk1s and that on the bottom edge of the seal there was a small bit of foam which was glued onto the main seal.
This had come adrift,hopefull of a fix so glued a larger bit of the same foam on the bottom edge and packed a couple of low points I thought contact was iffy on.
Took the car for drive- still the wind noise appears at above 60kph,.
I'm now convinced it may be an issue with the glass not making full contact with the door seal, maybe at the top
It's a hard sound to locate, sometimes sounds like the area where the mirror is and other times more like the door lock end of the door .
One thing for sure, a lot of owners have this issue and it seems to affect not only mk2 owners but also mk1 owners so this makes me think it's not just the change in mirror design . Both my 2003 cars (petrol) are fine.
It not sure what next, I do have a spare rubber window seal laying about so maybe change that next ?
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 09:29   #12
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Finally !! Found the wind leak!!
Of all things, it was the sunroof!!
Turns out the sound was being deflected by the moon shade so sounded like it was from the passenger side.
Its an after market Webasto (same as rover used) has been fitted locally and it appears the glass is coming away from the frame ( glue has given up) front and back .
Did a bit of research and found Webasto had a recall of this model in 2010 for the same reason, glass separating.
Found the sticker of the local company who fitted it and called them, they stated to get it down to them and they will replace the glass free due to the recall !!!
Some times you get lucky ,!!!
Old 26th September 2017, 20:34   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Finally !! Found the wind leak!!
Of all things, it was the sunroof!!
Turns out the sound was being deflected by the moon shade so sounded like it was from the passenger side.
Its an after market Webasto (same as rover used) has been fitted locally and it appears the glass is coming away from the frame ( glue has given up) front and back .
Did a bit of research and found Webasto had a recall of this model in 2010 for the same reason, glass separating.
Found the sticker of the local company who fitted it and called them, they stated to get it down to them and they will replace the glass free due to the recall !!!
Some times you get lucky ,!!!
Excellent news, lets hope this sorts the issue.
Old 26th September 2017, 21:56   #14
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

On the recommendation of the sunroof people for safety until I get it down to them , gaffa taped it on the front and back edges, no more wind leak - blissfully quiet !!
Old 27th September 2017, 19:31   #15
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Got the new sunroof glass fitted - free!!
Car is now quiet as it should be.
Saw the box for the new replacement , had, BMW
E49 on it.