Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2023, 13:42   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
If you do find you have any particular part that's worn, we have the slip rings, brushes etc here: https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/products/rov...-and-yle102500

When testing the resistance of the windings from the slip rings it should be stable - if it varies, you may well find the rings are worn through to the plastic core (as mine were at 170,000 miles).

thanks. I cannot see the plastic through the rings.
Valeo will not give me any test readings, I assume they are commercially sensitive so it is understandable.
Unless I know what test results I should be getting, I'm pretty much flogging a dead horse.
Blindly changing parts is a waste of money. If a draw a blank, perhaps I will strip it down and put it back together again just for experience.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 16:02   #12
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

May I suggest that you do not spin the armature whilst testing, you are measuring resistance by passing a small current from the test meter, spinning will probably generate some voltage output which would interfere with your measurment.

Try again with no movement?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 16:08   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
May I suggest that you do not spin the armature whilst testing, you are measuring resistance by passing a small current from the test meter, spinning will probably generate some voltage output which would interfere with your measurment.

Try again with no movement?
Thank you. I will leave it overnight to see if tomorrow it is any different. Could the alternator be holding anything similar to the way a capacitor does?
Electronics is not my thing.

macafee2
Old 20th March 2023, 17:29   #14
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Nothng like that I am afraid
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 17:42   #15
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

https://www.google.com/search?client...id:tT1kR1lpN1A

The above video is quite good. The rotor should be just a few ohms, it is 2.9 ohms in the video which is typical but it could be a bit higher. Your meter should be set to the lowest resistance range available. On a typical budget digital meter this would be 200 ohms. I wonder if you have a better quality meter that auto ranges. If you do you would just set the range selector to ohms and the meter would decide which range to use. If you do have an auto ranging meter and your fingers are touching the metal part of the probes that may explain why you are getting erratic measurements because the meter may be trying to measure the resistance of your body instead of the rotor winding.

You should also ensure that you get an open circuit measurement between the slip rings and the rest of the rotor (i.e. the bearing).
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 18:26   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
https://www.google.com/search?client...id:tT1kR1lpN1A

The above video is quite good. The rotor should be just a few ohms, it is 2.9 ohms in the video which is typical but it could be a bit higher. Your meter should be set to the lowest resistance range available. On a typical budget digital meter this would be 200 ohms. I wonder if you have a better quality meter that auto ranges. If you do you would just set the range selector to ohms and the meter would decide which range to use. If you do have an auto ranging meter and your fingers are touching the metal part of the probes that may explain why you are getting erratic measurements because the meter may be trying to measure the resistance of your body instead of the rotor winding.

You should also ensure that you get an open circuit measurement between the slip rings and the rest of the rotor (i.e. the bearing).
Thanks I'll watch the video.

macafee2
Old 21st March 2023, 08:14   #17
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

This morning testing the alternator again the resistance climbed when measuring across the slip rings.
Having watched the very useful video Synchromesh linked to I am going to strip the alternator down and go from there.
Appreciate the help given.

macafee2
Old 21st March 2023, 15:47   #18
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Have you got something that has a known resistance that you can use to check your meter? Perhaps your meter or the meter leads are faulty.

Last edited by Synchromesh; 21st March 2023 at 15:53..
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 17:26   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Have you got something that has a known resistance that you can use to check your meter? Perhaps your meter or the meter leads are faulty.
Having tested, retested and tested again I took the test meter apart and found a blown fuse. Frustrating as I'd only just replaced one. I then got steady readings but will test again tomorrow and jot down the readings and post for anyone else.
The video you linked to was very helpful but I had to test and watch it a couple of times. I will, also link to some other videos that have been of help
From the tests I managed to do after changing the fuse I dont think I've found a fault.
If I can fix the alternator all well and good but taking it apart is good experience. I need to make up a "spanner" with 24mm cut down socket welded to some flat metal as I need to put a torx bolt remover through the middle if I want to remove the rotor. I will also need a bearing puller if I want to remove the slip ring.
I've spent a lot of time achieving very little today, the joy of being retired

macafee2
Old 21st March 2023, 23:03   #20
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

been following this thread and without a semi hijack , this is for the diesel alternators . i know that mat does the brush/regulators for these but what is there for the petrol models apart from a new/old stock version from mat ? can we get brushes and regulators still for these. they are denso YLE102330 alternators. anyone know where (apart from the USA ) ? there are plenty of us out here with these. sorry for the thread interupt. ...
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote