Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th July 2021, 17:55   #1
mbev51
Posted a thing or two

75 cdt tourer

Default Another lockdown?

What’s the betting on another (partial?) lockdown or is freedom day irreversible?
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 18:31   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,781 Posts

covid cases are increasing and whats the betting we, the public will on a large scale abandon any sense of caution.

We know the risks, we have seen the stats surly we can take steps to keep save?
with cases increasing it seems we cant use our own brain and if the government tell us "its safe" to step off a cliff we will.

If there is another lock down who do we blame, not me of course its not my fault. Its never my fault it is always someone elses..... funny thing is... everyone else says the same thing.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 16th July 2021 at 14:04.. Reason: spelling error
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macafee2 For This Useful Post:
Old 15th July 2021, 18:57   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

I would say another partial lockdown is almost inevitable.Will the masses comply next time having got their freedom's back?People are very weary of the virus now and a lot of businesses probably wouldn't survive further restrictions.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2021, 18:59   #4
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,437 Times in 866 Posts

Since when have the, any, stats been reliable? The same question to HMGOV?

You can't blame people for mistrusting those who think they can fudge issues and take part in whatever the heck they choose to do without the slightest embarrassment or second thought. Or even allowing dozens of fatcats from footie to come in unchecked without so much as a questionaire. And then wine and dine them because it's only footie. What else is going on that isn't footie but considered worth keeping under wraps?

Now they resort to threats to reinforce the bluff with a velvet glove hiding a horseshoe. Moral blackmail only works with the weak willed or the gullible. Just my singular take on it of course. Stay safe, buy a motor cycle helmet and a Martindale heavy suit.
Old 15th July 2021, 20:03   #5
COLVERT
Foreign correspondent

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Covid cases are increasing and what's the betting we, the public, will on a large scale abandon any sense of caution.

We know the risks, we have seen the stats, surely we can take steps to keep safe?
With cases increasing it seems we can't use our own brains and if the government tells us "it's safe" to step off a cliff we will.

If there is another lock down who do we blame, not me of course it's not my fault. It's never my fault, it is always someone else's..... funny thing is... everyone else says the same thing.

macafee2
As far as I can see there hasn't been much of a sense of caution right from the off.---Common sense should have prevailed but unfortunately there's not a lot of it about.
Old 16th July 2021, 07:36   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
As far as I can see there hasn't been much of a sense of caution right from the off.---Common sense should have prevailed but unfortunately there's not a lot of it about.
Indeed - with much of Europe - France in particular - bracing itself for an expected Fourth Wave (The French Government announced that the “more contagious Delta variant is fast spreading the country”

“The risk of a rapid fourth wave is here” said government spokesman Gabriel Attal at a regular press briefing. The figures he presented showed a 21% increase nationwide across France with a 91% increase in Paris.

What is worrying here is that they are still someway behind us in vaccinations. And full two dose vaccination provides significant protection against getting Covid and more significantly - it seems to reduce the symptoms if you do get it so that sufferers do not require hospitalisation or ventilation in an ITU.

So here in the U.K. - we are entering the “at risk period” of the winter where cold wet damp mornings facilitate the transfer of virus from host to host, in a far better overall position than some other countries.

If the viruses mutations over time follow the usual pattern, it’s infection rates will increase whilst it’s virulence decreases. In other words - killing your hosts is not in its best interest. Giving the host cold symptoms of sneezing and snotting amongst other hosts is better “host husbandry”. There is no “thought” to this process - its simple mathematics.

So the perpetual moaners and groaners can deny the reality as much as they like - the virus does not give a stuff. It will do what it wants and we have to adapt to it.

All the precautions were sensible and the development and role out of the vaccination probability one of the finest things I have witnessed in nearly 70 years.

But what does scare me is what is going on in India. A set of circumstances lined up together to give another, extremely rare disease, a toe hold that potentially could be far more difficult to eradicate if this thing mutates such that it can routinely infect humans.

The “culprit” is Mucor. Leave veg, or bread out and it usually gets a white mat of fungal threads that produce black spores that blow away like seeds from some flowers. This is quite usual and fungus is a vital element in how animal and vegetable matter is recycled.

But as good as this stuff is at recycling - you really do not want it growing in your lungs. Treatment is almost impossible and you die by having your lungs steadily fill up with a fungal mat.

As a microbiologist from decades ago - I know that overall Fungi are hugely beneficial - but occasionally someone would pop up with Farmers Lung - where someone did not wear protective gear when moving old hay or straw about and an Aspergillus spores entered the lungs in high numbers such that the bodies defences were overwhelmed.

It’s a strange coincidence that Aspergillis and Penicillium are quite similar. If you look at the spore head of Aspergillus it is round and the spores form a bit like a Dandelion “clock” - in Latin Aspergillus is “Mop like”. With Penicillium the spore head isn’t round and the spores form like a brush. So it was call the Latin name for “brush like”.

So one fungus produces a very effective antibiotic - whilst it’s “cousin” can grow in your lungs and dissolve them just like fungus can dissolve that soggy cucumber we left in the fridge a bit to long or the soft fruit we never got round to eating.

In India - they ran out of oxygen in their ITU’s and hospitals. In desperation they gave patients high doses of steroids to calm down the virus induced inflammation of the lungs so the patient could breath. This is life saving treatment - but steroids knock out your immune system and so a normally innocuous fungus - Mucor - moved from innocuous to opportunistic and moved into these sick peoples lungs and airways.

If this fungus develops some sort of ability to bipass human defences it could be quite a significant problem. We do have good anti fungal treatments like Ketoconazole but “a farmers lung” infection sits in the air spaces of the lung away from the bodies blood supply. So delivery of the anti fungal is an issue.

One interesting fact - the only organism that can biodegrade keratin (finger nails and toe nails) is fungus. So if it wasn’t for fungi - we would be drowning in old toe nails.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Darcydog For This Useful Post:
Old 16th July 2021, 07:56   #7
mbev51
Posted a thing or two

75 cdt tourer

I really don’t understand the governments current COVID strategy. Firstly I would stop isolation for people who are double jabbed to allow economy to keep going. I fear for the NHS again as hospitalised cases including deaths are increasing worryingly. Big events including night clubbing involving alcohol will further increase the rate of infections, is this what the government wants? Will this strategy not risk overwhelming the health service? Normal health service functions have been compromised for long enough. I fear a reversal in policy with some quick u-turns is coming. It seems a very risky strategy. I might just be missing something.
Old 16th July 2021, 09:09   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

MG ZT-T

Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I really don’t understand the governments current COVID strategy. Firstly I would stop isolation for people who are double jabbed to allow economy to keep going. I fear for the NHS again as hospitalised cases including deaths are increasing worryingly. Big events including night clubbing involving alcohol will further increase the rate of infections, is this what the government wants? Will this strategy not risk overwhelming the health service? Normal health service functions have been compromised for long enough. I fear a reversal in policy with some quick u-turns is coming. It seems a very risky strategy. I might just be missing something.
The mistake I think you make - where you “miss something” - is the fact that we are dealing with a biological entity that can and does change its abilities and “modus operandi”.

I think your suggestion to “stop isolation of the double jabbed” is totally valid and - on the face of it, entirely sensible.

But how would you police this? You would need a vaccine passport or similar. And I don’t think the loony tunes anti vaxxers amongst us would buy into that. Macron in France is trying similar and it really is not going down well.

We are in a better position with the sensible and intelligent getting vaccinated such that we can now take the risk - and it is a risk - to open up our lifestyles.

Yes - the NHS will get stretched. But if the figures are correct - then it will be those that are not vaccinated that, in the main, end up in hospital.

Because the clear trend is that the double jabbed do not.

So if the stupid want to gain their immunity via hospitalisation rather than small jabs - let them I say.

It’s their choice. And yes - their selfish actions will prevent those with other illnesses getting treatment. Opportunity Cost is very real here.

So yes - it is a risk - and yes - we may need to have more lockdowns.

But we also need all our lives back and the economy back to as normal as possible.

What I think you are missing is the shades of grey. The options are not Black or White. We have to be sensible and move forward, reviewing each step as we go.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 14:08   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 2,510 Times in 1,781 Posts

IF a double jabed person becomes infected with covid, for how long can they transmit it to others?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2021, 16:13   #10
mbev51
Posted a thing or two

75 cdt tourer

My son has just tested positive today, he is double vaccinated, just feeling mildly unwell.