Notices

Old 27th December 2018, 09:32   #21
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
As for Kylie at NHS 24 and her ' definitely not appendicitis'......
Appendicitis can be difficult to nail down without hospital facilities. I'm speaking from experience, I went to the GP one morning with stomach pains and was told it was a bug. That afternoon I was hit by sudden incredible pain, it was so instantaneous it was like somebody flicked a switch! My other half phoned the GP who said it was stomach cramps despite me roaring with pain in the background. Told my other half to phone an ambulance, once I'd been pumped full of morphine I was taken into hospital, my appendix had burst, I was told it was one of the worst they'd seen. Appendix was removed and I spent a week in hospital on IV antibiotics.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 11:44   #22
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Back in...

Well, Dad back in hospital. Blocked bladder! Very painful and a huge amount of urine came out when catheter inserted. So another few days in for him...

He is Not having a lucky Christmas

Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 13:27   #23
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Dad up and walking now. Indeed his appendix actually had a small rupture and was a bit 'messy' but they managed through keyhole ( 3 tiny cuts) and gave area a good clean out. On a series of antibiotic drips and being kept in a couple of days to monitor.

Big relief all round. No wonder he was in agony!

As for Kylie at NHS 24 and her ' definitely not appendicitis'......

On a serious note all bar one of the NHS staff we have dealt with have been fantastic. He was operated on at 8pm ish on Hogmany. I think we often take for granted the folk that give us 24 hour 7 day a week cover in lots of areas in our lives. We let all of them in this instance know how grateful we are.

On the other hand the whole NHS 24 service and our Ambulance service are hopelessly underfunded and not staffed with sufficient numbers. It needs sorting for all of us and for the staff within.

We can now enjoy Christmas!

Good news. And I can fully concur that it is most certainly not the Staff within the NHS wherever in the U.K. But there is an issue of staffing.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 13:48   #24
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
But there is an issue of staffing.
Big issue with staffing! My other half is a nurse, too many chiefs and not enough Indians and the vast majority of the managers have no idea and think bullying is the best management technique.

T4 Location Map
Old 27th December 2018, 16:16   #25
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Big issue with staffing! My other half is a nurse, too many chiefs and not enough Indians and the vast majority of the managers have no idea and think bullying is the best management technique.
Yes, a very sad state of affairs. The culture at the middle and up to the top of the NHS is not healthy - absolutely no pun intended.

When you look what the NHS did to Dr Stephen Bolsin - the Consultant Anaesthetist at Bristol who tried desperately to sort out the mess that caused patients to die in Bristol’s Cardiac unit - you realise just how arrogant and hubristic an organisation the NHS is.

Stephen Bolsin turned whistleblower when the system failed to heed his warnings - and he was rewarded with a terminated contract and no hospital trust in the U.K. prepared to give him a job.

This despite his actions resulting in the Kennedy Inquiry that totally vindicated Bolsin’s concerns and resulted in significant changes in Bristol - and beyond.

He went to work in Australia where he became a world respected Anaesthetist.
Old 27th December 2018, 16:42   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Well, Dad back in hospital. Blocked bladder! Very painful and a huge amount of urine came out when catheter inserted. So another few days in for him...

He is Not having a lucky Christmas

Sorry to read this news. Hopefully they will find out why your Dad has gone into retention and will sort it out before sending him home, no more crisis. I write from a country which has no NHS, I write from my sickbed. I was supposed to be on a holiday of a lifetime, camping in a tent, but I have been struck down by the flu and I will have to ride it out. A few days ago, a good friend, a farmer - somewhere in Scotland, accidentally shot himself in the head. His wife rang the hospital and got everyone mobilised. She bunged him in the car and drove him straight to the hospital. Within moments of his arrival and within the 60 minutes golden hour, he was on the operating table. The bullet had fragmented into two. He lost and eye and the optic nerve is damaged. All this happened last week. From what we know, he has 30% vision, but it is early days.

Hope everything works out for your Dad.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 17:10   #27
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Yes, a very sad state of affairs. The culture at the middle and up to the top of the NHS is not healthy - absolutely no pun intended.
My other half used to work in a respiratory ward, did so for years, all the other staff were long term and highly knowledgeable in that field. They all worked as a team and the ward manager rarely had to get involved in anything regarding staffing or patient care! The ward manager moved on and a new one landed, one with no clue about people management, employed the big stick method and tried to micro manage everything. Within a matter of months all the existing staff (my wife included) had either transferred to other departments or left the NHS for the private sector.

T4 Location Map
Old 27th December 2018, 18:36   #28
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
My other half used to work in a respiratory ward, did so for years, all the other staff were long term and highly knowledgeable in that field. They all worked as a team and the ward manager rarely had to get involved in anything regarding staffing or patient care! The ward manager moved on and a new one landed, one with no clue about people management, employed the big stick method and tried to micro manage everything. Within a matter of months all the existing staff (my wife included) had either transferred to other departments or left the NHS for the private sector.
An experience that is sadly repeated across the country.
Old 29th December 2018, 20:15   #29
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Dad home

Glad to report that my Dad got home tonight. With catheter in place with a good range of follow up appointments and scans already arranged.

So now a case of taking it easy ( which he finds difficult!) and proper recuperation from the surgery and hopefully the bladder problem will sort itself over next couple of weeks.

Big relief to have him home.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2018, 20:25   #30
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Glad to report that my Dad got home tonight. With catheter in place with a good range of follow up appointments and scans already arranged.

So now a case of taking it easy ( which he finds difficult!) and proper recuperation from the surgery and hopefully the bladder problem will sort itself over next couple of weeks.

Big relief to have him home.

Chris
Glad your Dad is home, all the best for his continued recovery.