Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2010, 22:02   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Impressions of my lowered 75.

A friend has been kind enough to photoshop my 75 with lowered suspension.It gives it a lot more road presence and looks so much better without that huge gap in the wheel arch imo.Time to get busy

Current look.......

Proposed new look.......

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 22:18   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

It looks as though it has at least two broken springs, and can no longer be parked toward a kerb for fear of damage to the front bumper, And in the area I live in, even without it's mud flaps, it would not be able to go down many side roads without grounding on sleeping policemen..

IMO lowering an Exec type of car always makes the car looked damaged, you can get away with it on a hot hatch, but not on a large saloon car like a Rover 75..

Still -- it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.. Good photoshop work though..

Last edited by James.uk; 8th March 2010 at 22:21..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 23:24   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
It looks as though it has at least two broken springs, and can no longer be parked toward a kerb for fear of damage to the front bumper, And in the area I live in, even without it's mud flaps, it would not be able to go down many side roads without grounding on sleeping policemen..

It either looks as though it has 4 broken springs or none.And as it's not my daily driver i can avoid speed bumps on the whole while benefiting from far superior handling on smooth twisty roads.

Quote:

IMO lowering an Exec type of car always makes the car looked damaged, you can get away with it on a hot hatch, but not on a large saloon car like a Rover 75..

I think Jaguar,BMW,Mercedes,Audi and Saab etc would beg to differ.I don't think the people who drive those would accept having their teeth shattered when tootling along yet the gap in the wheel arch is minimal.It was looking at those cars that made me realize that comfort needn't be sacraficed.

Quote:

Still -- it's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.. Good photoshop work though..
Exactly,i don't expect it to be to everyones taste but i just wanted to give people an idea of how it would look
Old 9th March 2010, 08:22   #4
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:

was gonna say it looks like it is broken but james beat me to it .it dont look right lowered ,there are set at that hieight for a reason ...
Old 9th March 2010, 08:27   #5
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
set at that hieight for a reason ...
Yes, for optimum comfort. Presumably anyone going through the lowering process knows up front that doing so is going to affect comfort adversley. And by definition, someone lowering a car is not after optimum comfort (IMHO) but a certain stance and possibly an improvement in handling although the latter is very often debatable.

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 08:45   #6
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Why not just sell your lovely 75 and buy a ZT? Why ruin a 75 with lowered suspension? It is designed for Comfort and looks great as it is!!

The ZT is a very different car and sounds although it would be more suitable for you. I had a 75 before my present ZT and both are fantastic cars but also very different.

Trying to make one into the other imho never works just looks odd. It looks like you have fittes ZT wheels to and low profile tyres which also look odd on a 75. Some correct 75 wheels with 55 section tyres would loose some of the gap you refer to.

But at the end of it it is your car to do with what you want.....

Last edited by capese21; 9th March 2010 at 08:52..
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 10:17   #7
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Why not just sell your lovely 75 and buy a ZT? Why ruin a 75 with lowered suspension? It is designed for Comfort and looks great as it is!!

The ZT is a very different car and sounds although it would be more suitable for you. I had a 75 before my present ZT and both are fantastic cars but also very different.

Trying to make one into the other imho never works just looks odd. It looks like you have fittes ZT wheels to and low profile tyres which also look odd on a 75. Some correct 75 wheels with 55 section tyres would loose some of the gap you refer to.

But at the end of it it is your car to do with what you want.....
I don't see it as ruining a lovely 75 that's just your personal opinion,i see it as enhancing it.As has already been stated " it's in the eye of the beholder." A point confirmed by the many differing views on this thread,as i expected.I'm not trying to make it into a ZT,i'm wanting to personalise my75.It sounds like your a purist,which is absolutely fine but just because something is original it dosen't mean it can't be improved upon.Some like it others wont,thats life!

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 9th March 2010 at 10:19..
Old 10th March 2010, 08:13   #8
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:

Looks neat but I have to agree with James, it would ground like a beached whale at the myriad of road humps. Especialy the raised floor tile type. If you can escape this then good luck
Old 10th March 2010, 11:03   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Thanks for ALL the contributions so far everyone,a lot of good points raised.

As Zeb says,it isn't something that can't be reversed if comfort levels and or ground clearance are found to be unacceptable.

Again, please remember the pic's are an illustration and probably show the car lower than it will actually be in reality.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:26   #10
MalteseMarc
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI connoisseur SE auto, 2004

I'll have to agree with what a lot have said on lowering the 75, imo it would work better on the ZT, what with it's more sportier looks. To fill the arch up, probably be better to fit some 18 or 19" alloys