Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th August 2018, 05:18   #1
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Default MG Ztt CDti Auto Eletrical starting problem

Hello all,
MG Ztt Diesel 135 Auto 05. " Electrical" starting problem.
I have had a problem for at least a year with firing up my second wife. (Had her from new )and she will always be my Darling. (but also have another Different newer make not as good but don't tell her) I have bought and tried everything I can over the counter. So now I'm looking for a Prescription from a Doctor! Not all the internet Quacks.
Ok here we go.
1. Turn the key and nothing. ( yes its in Park or Neutral and a fully Smart charged battery. Also a second brand new donor 115 amp/hour Battery. No headlight flash.
2. Turn the key and 1 click from the starter. ( same as above)
3. Turn the key and a lethargic slow crank. ( same as above)
4. Turn the key and a lethargic split second On Off, On Off, On Off, On Off, On Off, On Off crank, to the UNTUNED ear it sound like a slow crank As No 3 above ,but it isn't. its multiple ons and offs.
Now !!!. I believe I know it to be something other than the above obvious battery /charging problem bla bla bla. ( internet Quacks) which is why I need a DOCTORS Prescription.
IE a Spark (Electrician) and more importantly a Knowledgeable Stripper ( Ha ha)
Someone who knows the Actual Trim ,fitting, Mechanical, electrical connection between the Auto gear lever movement and the inhibitor (The relay always clicks fine under the right air vent )and the starter, and how to dismantle and get to the relevant problem part under the gear lever/console.
BECAUSE !!! listen up.
1. if I play around with the gear lever, park through neutral to lower gears and back and up a few times she fires up perfectly .
2. I have now found if I thump directly down Rocky style on the head of my gear lever when she's in park or neutral she fires up like new.
3. Most times after being running for 20 mins she starts first time, this has nothing to do with battery or being charged as proved above.This is where a Spark Electrician comes in , is it just movement or expansion of the electrical contacts , I DONT KNOW ?
4, I can only conclude this has something to do with an electrical connection below my gear lever.
5. Regarding the slow intermittent crank. as I know nothing about detailed electrics.The only thing I can relate this to is when I have had a torch flashlight that was dim, then deliberately banging it, it then shines brighter, obviously a loose contact ( hence wanting the opinion of a Spark , to know how electricity works IE. volts ,current Amps etc when there is a loose contact.?

Technically.
If its any help this may have been self induced through an absolutely necessary and Great handbrake compensator modification, which involved raising the full center console from the back seat area about 8 inches. Obviously lifting the center and front of the console slightly and subsequently the gear lever in the center ??????
I honestly don't know but it does seem coincidental both time scale and symptoms.
Thankyou in anticipation Paul. Crazy Frog.
P.S This is not a social anybody enters thread/Post.
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2018, 23:50   #2
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

ok so what's up now , all reply's have been deleted ?
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote