Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th June 2019, 15:40   #1
Westonboy
Posted a thing or two

Honda Jazz

Default It aint half hot mum

My wife and I have just got in from a walk along the prom here in Weston s Mare, it's scorching. I began to reminisce about summers gone by, most people remember the summer of 1976, but to me the most memorable was that of 1957. At the time as a nine year old, I lived in New Brighton, at the time one of the countries top seaside resorts, well before foreign travel took its toll of traditional holidays. Although a bit of a distant memory, I think that June had a mean temparature of 36 degrees for most of the month, and their was not a square inch to be had on the beach, and the prom was packed solid. The Ferry hotel, which was reputed to have one of the longest bars in England had all its doors thrown wide open, emitting to us kids a gorgeous smell of strong ale and tobacco. My brother and I had a well polished routine that was practised to perfection, our victims were the countless American servicemen from the nearby USAF base at Burtonwood. We would take turns to approach a group of Yanks, us looking very forlorn, and say we had lost our bus fare, almost without fail they would draw out a handfull of change from their pockets and say how much do you need kid, a shilling normally sufficed, I remember with fondness the amazing natural genorosity of our American cousins, by the time we got to the end of the prom our pockets would be bulging. I realise now that what we did was wrong, but the bottle of Tizer, and bag of smiths crisps from our gains made it all seem very enterprising.
Westonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 15:50   #2
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
My wife and I have just got in from a walk along the prom here in Weston s Mare, it's scorching. I began to reminisce about summers gone by, most people remember the summer of 1976, but to me the most memorable was that of 1957. At the time as a nine year old, I lived in New Brighton, at the time one of the countries top seaside resorts, well before foreign travel took its toll of traditional holidays. Although a bit of a distant memory, I think that June had a mean temparature of 36 degrees for most of the month, and their was not a square inch to be had on the beach, and the prom was packed solid. The Ferry hotel, which was reputed to have one of the longest bars in England had all its doors thrown wide open, emitting to us kids a gorgeous smell of strong ale and tobacco. My brother and I had a well polished routine that was practised to perfection, our victims were the countless American servicemen from the nearby USAF base at Burtonwood. We would take turns to approach a group of Yanks, us looking very forlorn, and say we had lost our bus fare, almost without fail they would draw out a handfull of change from their pockets and say how much do you need kid, a shilling normally sufficed, I remember with fondness the amazing natural genorosity of our American cousins, by the time we got to the end of the prom our pockets would be bulging. I realise now that what we did was wrong, but the bottle of Tizer, and bag of smiths crisps from our gains made it all seem very enterprising.

Afternoon,
1959 was a good year as well as I remember. I was seven at the time and on holiday in Cornwall.
1976 was superb I never had the roof up on my MG Midget. Working on site normally walking around in mud but it was inches deep in dust until my wedding in September when the heavens opened....not a good omen....although still suffering after 42/43 years.
Good job my wife doesn't read this forum!
Regards David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote