Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st May 2020, 21:03   #31
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanos.m View Post
I see I don't think its worth going to such an extent with mine to be honest this could potentially be the end of it if I have to go down that route as it seems like I went from having a sorted car to pretty much everything going wrong all at once within 2 weeks time. I have a full rear suspension refresh coming today and the car would have been pretty much top notch and within the last few days the I got knock from the front a gearbox leak and the tappet tick. Edit: and then today it stated up perfectly quiet no tick no nothing ughhh this car knows how to wind me up
Honestly, if Rimmers hadn't had the head on sale for a ridiculously low price (300. GBP complete with cams) I would have just lived with the ticking.
Glad to hear your noise has cured itself. My wife's Kia had an intermittent rattle I can't find which is obviously something loose but which worries her. It has reached the stage where I have told her that it will eventually stop or the part will fall off solving the problem!
Old 1st June 2020, 10:48   #32
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
Honestly, if Rimmers hadn't had the head on sale for a ridiculously low price (300. GBP complete with cams) I would have just lived with the ticking.
When was the sale Rich?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 13:05   #33
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

I wonder whether MG Rover overlooked getting around to “updating” their printed instructions.

I only mention this as my friend that services my 75 enjoyed a few weeks (at his employers expense) at the UK MG R factory, prior to the 75s 2001 launch in Australia.

He tells me that staff overseeing the non-stop engine tests (running 24 hours per day) instructed him to only use Mobil 1 0W-40 engine oil. Emphasis was put on the manufacturer’s name as well as the grade.

And this is the oil grade that he (and his MG R Dealership employer) used consistently since the cars local launch in 2001 – without problems.

He continues to use this oil (his employer ceased servicing our marque after its demise). The KV6 design was advanced for its time, incorporating the latest technology. We have a warmer climate here in Australia, but the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil has a good record here.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 14:14   #34
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
When was the sale Rich?
Sorry, can't resist

"A long,long time ago, I can still remember ..."

I'll bet you have the lyrics of American Pie in your head now

apologies for off topic, but it popped into my head when I saw your post.

Old 1st June 2020, 14:51   #35
thanos.m
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
I wonder whether MG Rover overlooked getting around to “updating” their printed instructions.

I only mention this as my friend that services my 75 enjoyed a few weeks (at his employers expense) at the UK MG R factory, prior to the 75s 2001 launch in Australia.

He tells me that staff overseeing the non-stop engine tests (running 24 hours per day) instructed him to only use Mobil 1 0W-40 engine oil. Emphasis was put on the manufacturer’s name as well as the grade.

And this is the oil grade that he (and his MG R Dealership employer) used consistently since the cars local launch in 2001 – without problems.

He continues to use this oil (his employer ceased servicing our marque after its demise). The KV6 design was advanced for its time, incorporating the latest technology. We have a warmer climate here in Australia, but the Mobil 1 0W-40 oil has a good record here.
Oil has been a pretty divisive subject an MGR expert I worked for when I was in school told me to put a thicker oil if the tick comes back he said I was not wrong to use Mobil 1 0w-40 but that was 20 years ago when these cars were new so although I have been exuslusively using this oil on my 75s so far I may give it a try in the next oil chnage the 2 arguments I've heard so far is that the oil is to thin for it to build up pressure quick enough on the other hand what I heard and believed as well a thinner oil will reach and lubricate the valvetrain faster than a thicker honestly you can't make sense each has their own opinions I'll see how it goes so far it seems quiet
thanos.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2020, 20:42   #36
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
When was the sale Rich?
A long, long time ago, I can still remember...….Way back in 2018 unfortunately. The price is back up to something like 1200. quid. Like I said, it was too good to pass up!
I was surprised I got one as they were out of stock and had to bring one in for me. X-Part (or whoever) must have had piles of them to get rid of!

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 1st June 2020 at 20:46..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 16:02   #37
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Rich, congratulations! I think you must have been born under a lucky star. I always buy something just before the sale or just after the sale. Make the most of it. The good luck fairy is very fickle.
Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 12:59   #38
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
.... The price is back up to something like 1200 quid.
£1,456 if you don't send them your old one.

I'd hate to think how much it would cost to send a complete head from Canada to GB.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001712
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote