Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2013, 11:48   #1
TomC

Rover 75 saloon

Default Rover 75 Club 1.8, Airbag light on.

The airbag light has come on the dashboard and stays on. Briefly, many thanks to this forum, I have tried wiggling the connectors under the driver and passenger seats. Then cut the airbag and seatbelt pre-tensioner connectors out (yellow and blue connectors) and connected the wires through 3 amp electrical block connectors. Then took the driver's seat out and lifted the carpet to check the crash sensor wasn't wet and corroded. It is all bone dry under there. Then took the airbag off the steering wheel, heading for the clock spring, but read that if this wasn't connecting then the horn wouldn't work. So I reconnected the battery and sounded the horn...it works.

A friend connected an OBDII diagnostic tool and found 2 unrelated faults (misfire on 2nd cylinder, and something about low fuel). He cleared these, they may have been old ones from before the headgasket was replaced.

A garage tried 3 different diagnostic tools but could not get the equipment to recognise the car. Don't think he really knew what he was doing.

A different friend has connected one of those cheapy Chinese diagnostic tools and no faults are showing.

I've had this lovely car for 10 months but can't drive it now because its failed the MOT on this airbag light.

What do I do next? Please help.
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 14:10   #2
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I think you need to find someone with a T4 to help resolve your problem now.

Other diagnostic tools will not find faults on the air bag/seat belt tensioner circuits.

boater
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 16:09   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
The airbag light has come on the dashboard and stays on. Briefly, many thanks to this forum, I have tried wiggling the connectors under the driver and passenger seats. Then cut the airbag and seatbelt pre-tensioner connectors out (yellow and blue connectors) and connected the wires through 3 amp electrical block connectors. Then took the driver's seat out and lifted the carpet to check the crash sensor wasn't wet and corroded. It is all bone dry under there. Then took the airbag off the steering wheel, heading for the clock spring, but read that if this wasn't connecting then the horn wouldn't work. So I reconnected the battery and sounded the horn...it works.

A friend connected an OBDII diagnostic tool and found 2 unrelated faults (misfire on 2nd cylinder, and something about low fuel). He cleared these, they may have been old ones from before the headgasket was replaced.

A garage tried 3 different diagnostic tools but could not get the equipment to recognise the car. Don't think he really knew what he was doing.

A different friend has connected one of those cheapy Chinese diagnostic tools and no faults are showing.

I've had this lovely car for 10 months but can't drive it now because its failed the MOT on this airbag light.

What do I do next? Please help.
Are any of the diagnostic tools you have used able to read the airbag ECU?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 20:23   #4
TomC

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the response, I opened another thread earlier asking whether anyone knew where I could find a garage with a T4 tester. Please consider this one closed, cos I give up!
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 21:20   #5
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Have replied to your other thread
Old 16th May 2013, 22:32   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Thanks for the response, I opened another thread earlier asking whether anyone knew where I could find a garage with a T4 tester. Please consider this one closed, cos I give up!
Phil-T4
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote