Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th June 2014, 18:51   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Breakdown cover

Having fallen out with my current cover provider, due to their bumping the price up to almost double with no claims having been made, I'm looking for another, but one which covers a caravan.

Something also occurred, what would happen if either car or caravan were not broken down but accident damaged and needed recovery? Do breakdown policies usually include accident recovery or not?

Never having suffered either, what is the situation?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 19:15   #2
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Harry

I am with Aotoaid as recommended on the Martin Lewis website. It is different to other companies in that if you have a breakdown you call their number and they send a rescue vehicle out to you but you have to pay the fee (cards accepted) and then reclaim the cost from Aotoaid.

Caravans are covered and you can specify where you wish to be taken. Onward costs and a nights hotel stay can be claimed. I have just renewed my policy and cost was just less than £40.

May not suit everyone to have to pay up front but I think it is great value as any number of cars are included and are not specified in the policy.

I have not had to make a claim so cannot vouch for how well it works but others on the Martin Lewis Site have and give good reviews.

May be worth checking out their website for full details.

Regards

Howard
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 19:18   #3
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Autoaid for me too have been with them for years, renewal just come through the post just £39 it covers me in any car and a wife at same address if I had one...., ps homestart too
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 19:20   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Not a problem paying up front, I'm more concerned with being stuck at the side of a dodgy road and having to ring round to find recovery.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 28th June 2014, 19:24   #5
ZedTea
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Having fallen out with my current cover provider, due to their bumping the price up to almost double with no claims having been made, I'm looking for another, but one which covers a caravan.

Something also occurred, what would happen if either car or caravan were not broken down but accident damaged and needed recovery? Do breakdown policies usually include accident recovery or not?

Never having suffered either, what is the situation?
It is my understanding that ordinarily, your breakdown policy will specifically EXCLUDE recovery or assistance due to 'Accident'.

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/300051.png
ZedTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 19:45   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I too am with Autoaid and again, have been for several years.
It's okay for those who have the finance to pay for costs up front, however, understand this, if the car is fixed at the roadside, they will pay for that, if it's taken to a garage the financial assistance stops when you get there. Think carefully about where you "claim" it is fixed before claiming.
I do think it a very useful and economical system though.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 20:07   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I too am with Autoaid and again, have been for several years.
It's okay for those who have the finance to pay for costs up front, however, understand this, if the car is fixed at the roadside, they will pay for that, if it's taken to a garage the financial assistance stops when you get there. Think carefully about where you "claim" it is fixed before claiming.
I do think it a very useful and economical system though.
Well I have found one cheapy which covers accident recovery. I don't think any of them pay for repairs if taken to a garage.

I'm now wondering what would happen if we were sited with the caravan 250 miles from home, we were out in the car for the day and it broke down and we needed to be got back home for repairs. Would they expect us to abandon 4 or 5 K's worth of caravan and collect it later, even with caravan cover?

Its a minefield!

Old 28th June 2014, 20:19   #8
kevrandle
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Well I have found one cheapy which covers accident recovery. I don't think any of them pay for repairs if taken to a garage.

I'm now wondering what would happen if we were sited with the caravan 250 miles from home, we were out in the car for the day and it broke down and we needed to be got back home for repairs. Would they expect us to abandon 4 or 5 K's worth of caravan and collect it later, even with caravan cover?

Its a minefield!
A few years ago I was in North Yorkshire on a caravan holiday and the clutch went on the car. I was with Green flag through the insurance company and they recovered the car and caravan to my home with no argument. They put the car on a low loader and towed the caravan with me and two friends in the cab. Toby the dog had to travel in the car, not happy. If it was the caravan that had broken they would not have recovered car or caravan.
kevrandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 20:21   #9
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

It ain't cheap, and it's only available to Camping & Caravanning Club Members,, but RAC Arrival Cover is pretty comprehensive. They do cover Harry's hypothetical situation of the car breaking down away from the site - they will reunite you with your 'van before taking you wherever.

How Arrival breakdown cover benefits you if you have a caravan or trailer tent

Unique benefits for caravans, trailer tents and trailers include:

Caravan breakdown recovery on any UK campsite.
Cover for large units over 7.6 metres (25ft) in length or 2.3 metres (7 ft 6 in) in width^ .
If your caravan cannot be towed and requires recovery on a flatbed truck, RAC will recover it at no additional charge† .
‘Arrival Return’ so if you suffer a car or caravan breakdown on the way to a campsite and RAC can’t repair you at the roadside or at a local garage within a reasonable amount of time, they will take you, your car and caravan to the site and back home again†.
Follow on Recovery, so we can take your caravan to a second location of your choice (within a 75-mile radius)†.
A ‘Re-Unite’ service so if you are away from your campsite when your car breaks down, RAC will take you back to the site within a 75-mile radius to collect your caravan before getting you home†.
Optional European caravan breakdown cover with no supplements (for cars or caravans)
Personal breakdown cover, so you will be covered as a driver or passenger in any vehicle, whether you are towing or not.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !

Last edited by reworht; 28th June 2014 at 20:23..
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2014, 20:34   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

It would be great to be able to simply write your own policy and say there, quote me for that

I'm now looking at Gocompare's site and at Rescuemycar only £28.90, including caravan cover, but their site lacks any detailed policy information that I could see.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 28th June 2014 at 20:41..