Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th July 2020, 10:28   #11
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
That's not such a bad thing is it? it means we can also get hold of some spares from BMW's

Life could be worse!
It's definitely not a bad thing, any of the parts that are the same you can just call the local BMW dealer and pick them up next day if they don't have them in stock!

Check the build quality of an E46 or an E60 (similar era). The BMW build quality is far superior. My 289K E46 has no rattles, handles the road really well, runs smooth as anything, and the interior is far better than most Rovers after 100K

My E61 (E60 tourer) has done 200K, and honestly, it is immaculate, if anyone wants to have a go in a BMW and compare it to the 75 you're welcome to pop round and take them for a spin

To be honest, I reckon going to a BMW will be the way that most people will progress from the Rovers when the time comes, they are the most similar, I wouldn't go to something like a Mercedes or an Audi, they feel much cheaper built and hard plastic inside, not really any of the soft touch plastic anywhere.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 11:19   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

These generalisations are all well and good but other experiences might be different. Maybe I got a Friday one or something.

For instance, I bought a new BMW Series 5 in 1987 and just couldn't understand why they were so popular. A 520i with delivery mileage only, so not a hanger-on, that felt for all the world like it had had all the pleasure and expectation engineered out of it. Bland is being too kind.

The interior was hard and unyielding, the steering wheel felt like it was off a Mersey tug and, oh, the radio was good. The engine was nothing like my present R75 2002 2.5. Never again. The 75 is like a gentleman's club by comparison.

The reason 'the trade' have that mindset is partly because the advent of a mechanic on electric wheels you can push around the workshop means rapid diagnosis that once took an old-timer half an hour to sort.
Old 29th July 2020, 11:24   #13
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
These generalisations are all well and good but other experiences might be different. Maybe I got a Friday one or something.

For instance, I bought a new BMW Series 5 in 1987 and just couldn't understand why they were so popular. A 520i with delivery mileage only, so not a hanger-on, that felt for all the world like it had had all the pleasure and expectation engineered out of it. Bland is being too kind.

The interior was hard and unyielding, the steering wheel felt like it was off a Mersey tug and, oh, the radio was good. The engine was nothing like my present R75 2002 2.5. Never again. The 75 is like a gentleman's club by comparison.

The reason 'the trade' have that mindset is partly because the advent of a mechanic on electric wheels you can push around the workshop means rapid diagnosis that once took an old-timer half an hour to sort.
But there is a 15 year age difference between the 2 cars? I assume you had the E34 that came out that year? And not the E28 that came out in 1981?

E39 / E60 5 series were both produced during the time the 75 was produced. As was the E46 3 series. Which is why I mentioned those in my post.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 14:46   #14
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
That's not such a bad thing is it? it means we can also get hold of some spares from BMW's

Life could be worse!
You have a point. I wanted a black washer bottle cap, so I ordered a brand new one...........from BMW. Was surprisingly cheap too .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 18:18   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Exactly!

I just bought a second hand auto dip mirror, it came with a lovely plastic cover for the auto wipers. Unfortunately my car doesn't have those. I tried rimmers for the plastic cover for just the normal mirror. I was told , no longer available. I then remembered seeing BMW written on the mounting. Had a look on the bay, yep there were loads for the BMW E46. Exactly the same.

Having BMW bits is OK, I mean if they had joined up with a Chinese company what would the parts quantity be like ?

If its anything like the replacement parts that flood our shores it doesn't bear thinking about.

Fortunately, what I have seen the Rover bodyshell would seem to have much better corrosion resistance than many a BMW i have looked at.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s

Last edited by Mike Trident; 29th July 2020 at 18:23..
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 21:56   #16
Mean & Green
Regular poster

MG ZR

I’ve just watched the video, nice to see someone appreciate the car and seem to be genuinely excited over it.
Mean & Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 21:34   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Yes. Only watched for a few boring minutes, then turn it off.