Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th July 2020, 19:35   #11751
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Just picked her up from a local classic car restorer after having some bodywork done. Rear wheel arch and front wing just above the sill had corrosion bubbles. Front wing section was cut out and a new welded in then painted. I think he's done a fair job for £150

However sods law would predict the offside front ABS sensor gave up on the way home so no speedo and erratic fuel gauge Just another on the to do list for this weekend.

That looks super, I've spent the day under mine with the wheelarch liners out and a wire wheel.

Most of the surface corrosion has been removed, but sadly the very bottom where it meets the sill has a hole in it.

I've been pondering how to approach a repair, it looks to be a very complex shape, I only wish there were someone in my neck of the woods who could sort it out, for those sort of prices.

Hey ho, I can see it needing to cut the back of the sill away to let in new metal.

I don't know how to put a picture up.........probably just as well as it's not pretty
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 19:45   #11752
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

He resprayed the rear bumper a while back and charged me £100

Incidentally while i was there a chap asked whose was my 75 as he rather liked it, he then went on to explain he has a V8 75 with premium bumper and a 1.8 conny both with less than 1k on the clock This was confirmed by the restorer and that he also has 3 E Types, a Jenson Interceptor, several older Jags amongst others!! He also owns multiple bikes including a CBX and many British bikes. He's gonna give me a call when i can pop over and have a look at his collection... Pics will follow
Btw if anyone wants the restorers contact details let me know. He does have a waiting list tho.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 29th July 2020 at 19:47..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 20:06   #11753
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
He resprayed the rear bumper a while back and charged me £100

Incidentally while i was there a chap asked whose was my 75 as he rather liked it, he then went on to explain he has a V8 75 with premium bumper and a 1.8 conny both with less than 1k on the clock This was confirmed by the restorer and that he also has 3 E Types, a Jenson Interceptor, several older Jags amongst others!! He also owns multiple bikes including a CBX and many British bikes. He's gonna give me a call when i can pop over and have a look at his collection... Pics will follow
Btw if anyone wants the restorers contact details let me know. He does have a waiting list tho.
Wow that is cheap !!, no wonder he has a waiting list.

I've lots to do with this car, it has a water leak which looks to be coming from the front of the engine, water pump maybe?

It will have to wait it's turn, metal repair and MOT first then figure out why the aircon doesn't work
Old 29th July 2020, 20:15   #11754
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
Wow that is cheap !!, no wonder he has a waiting list.

I've lots to do with this car, it has a water leak which looks to be coming from the front of the engine, water pump maybe?

It will have to wait it's turn, metal repair and MOT first then figure out why the aircon doesn't work
Keep a check on the water level daily if you are losing some, it could be the thermostat in the V of the engine that has failed and letting coolant escape down the front, making it appear to be from the water pump.
Old 29th July 2020, 20:20   #11755
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Keep a check on the water level daily if you are losing some, it could be the thermostat in the V of the engine that has failed and letting coolant escape down the front, making it appear to be from the water pump.

Oh thanks for that Andy, are they much of a job then, or do you think I would be better off leaving it to the professionals?

I wasn't keen on the thought of a water pump, it looks like lots of things to remove before you get to the pump.

I used to do everything myself, but that was in the days of points and condensers, and engines with pushrods........
Old 29th July 2020, 20:25   #11756
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Oh thanks for that Andy, are they much of a job then, or do you think I would be better off leaving it to the professionals?

I wasn't keen on the thought of a water pump, it looks like lots of things to remove before you get to the pump.

I used to do everything myself, but that was in the days of points and condensers, and engines with pushrods........
The job itself isn't too bad, its the fact that there isn't much room to work, and the amount of things in the way before you get to the cambelts and water pump.
Old 29th July 2020, 21:27   #11757
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Well on Tuesday I decided to quickly replace the inlet manifold gasket, and I was right, once you've done this in the past, it's a bit easier.

I had to also replace front wishbone bushes, but as one was the main problem, that was the priority. As Marina Brian said in the past - it's a doddle. Well, yes, again I had done it in the past and when the stupid unseen bolts, came adrift and were removed in a fairly easy manner, I thought Brian was right. However, seven hours today to try to get them back in proved mindblowing. Eventually, as I possibly have to use the car locally tomorrow, I managed to get one of the bolts in, in fact I took it all apart twice and again tried, but only managed to get one bolt in, so have tightened that up, and am hoping that my need doesn't arise, then I'll have it all apart again.

I may even consider doing the second one. Did I say that?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 21:37   #11758
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Well on Tuesday I decided to quickly replace the inlet manifold gasket, and I was right, once you've done this in the past, it's a bit easier.

I had to also replace front wishbone bushes, but as one was the main problem, that was the priority. As Marina Brian said in the past - it's a doddle. Well, yes, again I had done it in the past and when the stupid unseen bolts, came adrift and were removed in a fairly easy manner, I thought Brian was right. However, seven hours today to try to get them back in proved mindblowing. Eventually, as I possibly have to use the car locally tomorrow, I managed to get one of the bolts in, in fact I took it all apart twice and again tried, but only managed to get one bolt in, so have tightened that up, and am hoping that my need doesn't arise, then I'll have it all apart again.

I may even consider doing the second one. Did I say that?

This is something I had to do last week, and I struggled every part of the way, using g cramps to pull the bush parallel seemed like the way to do it.

In the end once one bolt was in, the trick appeared to be to lever the bush housing against the anti roll bar to align the second bolt.

Like you I don't really want to do the other side, but another little MOT failure point distraction is taking up my time at the minute
Old 29th July 2020, 22:03   #11759
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Not too bad a job ....

from this

to this

couple of days before flatting and polishing the lacquer .

but turned out ok for some rattle cans ..
"
got to do the top of the wing insitu as I cannot shift the wing fixings and need to stick my "C" back on .

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 29th July 2020 at 22:06..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2020, 22:08   #11760
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
This is something I had to do last week, and I struggled every part of the way, using g cramps to pull the bush parallel seemed like the way to do it.

In the end once one bolt was in, the trick appeared to be to lever the bush housing against the anti roll bar to align the second bolt.

Like you I don't really want to do the other side, but another little MOT failure point distraction is taking up my time at the minute
I did try the g-clamp but with so much levering it just kept coming off.

Good luck.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote