Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th November 2020, 21:25   #11
rushly

Rover 75 saloon + MgZt cdti

Thanks Russ. I will give it a go. Got a few USB leads with printer type plug on one end and USB on t'other.
rushly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2020, 22:03   #12
rushly

Default Can't thank you enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Try a different USB lead, I've got some that don't work with the EWS editor and other stuff.

Changing to a better quality cable and it reads first time every time

Russ

Russ
Big Russ. Fantastic. Don't know you but owe you several drinks. Had two spare cables handy and only one worked even then so it shows how critical the USB cable is. I'd spent hours trying to resolve this and suspected the custom cable rather than the "off the peg" cable. Thanks again, excellent.
Old 11th November 2020, 12:53   #13
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

i found when i used the ews editor lite, when using the connector prob you need to make a good connection with the circuit board on the ews unit.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2020, 22:30   #14
cb750chris
Trader

Rover 75 Tourer

Good tip Russ,
I have had a couple that have fought, and had not taken any notice of the usb lead - thinking as the op it must be an issue with either the custom cable not making contact, or a grumpy ews. Last time I got over it using a different tool to read the chip, then importing the file.
Regards
Chris

Replacement keys programmed / supplied / cut

Diesel 135 upgrade available

IPK virginisation and T4 matching available

Sorry, due to a big change in home circumstances, I am unable to do any large jobs at present, but can still offer evening time diagnostics.
cb750chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2020, 20:40   #15
rushly

Just an update on this saga. A change of cable as suggested by Russ allowed me to read the ews very consistently. Of the three USB cables I have, only one would allow reading of the ews but I thought the problem was solved. Alas no. I now have the problem that I can't write to the ews. I have a spare ews which I have experimented with but the problem is consistent. I can program the new transponder of which I have a couple, the verification process works, I select copy to ews which I believe occurs without using the use of the probe and I finally select "write" ews. The editor goes through the process of writing and the progress bar displays as the write occurs then finally I get an "ews write error". Still suspect the USB. Any views on this latest develop most welcome! So close!
Old 15th November 2020, 11:04   #16
Alf Best
Avid contributor

MG-ZTT

I wonder if the EWS Editor is overloading the USB port on your computer perhaps?

I only say this as I had an issue a few weeks ago with an Ithica printer in a machine which was doing something similar, and the interface on the printer also used a FTDI 232 type USB to serial converter.

This is also the case with Money Control Paylink units, in some cases requiring the use of a powered USB hub.

You have already proved that using a slightly better USB lead has solved one issue, I would be tempted to load your EWS software onto another computer as a trial.

Hope this helps

Alf
Alf Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 13:50   #17
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushly View Post
Just an update on this saga. A change of cable as suggested by Russ allowed me to read the ews very consistently. Of the three USB cables I have, only one would allow reading of the ews but I thought the problem was solved. Alas no. I now have the problem that I can't write to the ews. I have a spare ews which I have experimented with but the problem is consistent. I can program the new transponder of which I have a couple, the verification process works, I select copy to ews which I believe occurs without using the use of the probe and I finally select "write" ews. The editor goes through the process of writing and the progress bar displays as the write occurs then finally I get an "ews write error". Still suspect the USB. Any views on this latest develop most welcome! So close!
You don't have to write to the EWS, once the transponder has been programmed, turn the igniton on for like 10 seconds, it will sync and work.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2020, 16:42   #18
rushly

Thanks Jamie and Russ and everbody else who has helped. I now have a second working key so all good. Also, a final read of the EWS does show the new key now present. Thanks again