Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2020, 17:31   #51
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
As you can see from the graph, that is peak torque and doesn't run at 300lbft+ all the time.
Perhaps I am reading this all wrong? (and I have no axe to grind with anyone regarding maps etc)

The graph you posted Jamie, suggests a max torque around the 2200 rpm mark, at that RPM in 5th in my auto (without lock up), it is around 70 mph if I recall. I imagine that a manual would be similar RPM. To me, this would be placing maximum torque on the clutch for sustained periods? for motorway driving at least and it wouldnt be required at this point either, as you would be cruising (or at least should be lol). Or do I misunderstand dyno runs?

If I am correct, would it not be more useful to have the maximum torque slightly lower down the rev range for reliability, allowing it to be 'switched off' when an upshift took place? Therefore containing its power to shorter use.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 17:41   #52
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Perhaps I am reading this all wrong? (and I have no axe to grind with anyone regarding maps etc)

The graph you posted Jamie, suggests a max torque around the 2200 rpm mark, at that RPM in 5th in my auto (without lock up), it is around 70 mph if I recall. I imagine that a manual would be similar RPM. To me, this would be placing maximum torque on the clutch for sustained periods? for motorway driving at least and it wouldnt be required at this point either, as you would be cruising (or at least should be lol). Or do I misunderstand dyno runs?

If I am correct, would it not be more useful to have the maximum torque slightly lower down the rev range for reliability, allowing it to be 'switched off' when an upshift took place? Therefore containing its power to shorter use.
The curve is a run at 100% throttle in 4th, when you’re driving around the way torque is delivered is different, unless you drive around with your foot to the floor all the time. You can’t really get the max torque any lower down the Rev range as the turbo takes time to spool, more fuel can be added but then you’ll end up chucking lots of smoke out for a little more low down torque, it’s not worth the smoke. Between 2k and 3K is where you’ll typically spend most of the time driving so this is where most people would want the torque. Of course a map can be adjusted to suit the driver . Full on smoke maps for those nutters who want them is achievable, but not advised at all. Of course if someone wanted a map with less torque that’s definitely achievable. Remapping isn’t a one size fits all, it’s more of a one size fits most, quite a lot of people want the maximum, but others just want a moderate increase to help make the car feel like it can keep up with modern traffic easier.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 20:26   #53
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
Car returned to stock with a T4 to NNW005991 then done from scratch.

Not much of a torque increase, you'd barely feel it. 390nm on the other hand, that would be much more like the numbers I would have liked to have seen.

On the smokey car with 390nm I assume the manifold, egr and intercooler were spotless? That is normally what causes the excess smoke providing there are no boost leaks, there shouldn't really be much smoke if its all in good order.

I'd like to see a car run 180bhp with a stock turbo and stock fuel system.

When restrictions are reduced Brian, how would you feel if we tried one of my maps on your car and you can see for yourself? As I know any car of yours will be looked after and in good mechanical condition. You may be impressed, it might not be the map for everyone, but you're welcome to give it a try.
I suspect the need to visit in person could be avoided Jamie, I would have thought the file could be sent via email, as you might do in a slave/master tuner arrangement

However I would be somewhat reticent to subject a clutch with a maximum service torque rating of 370Nm to the sort of abuse that exceeding that figure by 60Nm and the resultant damage caused.

That is not down to clutch quality although poor quality components will be the first to fail, it is a simple calculation based upon total surface area of the friction material along with it's friction coefficient, and the clamping load of the clutch cover, these are not variables but known figures.

Figures that were arrived at during the design of the car to incorporate safety margins of components, the sort of limits that would not have been ever exceeded under normal circumstances.

Longer than I have been actively involved in motoring it has been known that tuning cars can result in reduced lifespan of components, back in the 1970's Leyland Special Tuning catalogues warned about the voiding of manufacturer warranties for various tuning products, and these were offerings not of a third party, but the manufacturers themselves.

That was of course then, but many of the exact same principles apply to this day, and huge increases in diesel torque output was of course just as possible eight years ago as it is now.

The top and bottom of the matter is simple, I drive with a degree of mechanical sympathy, as do many others especially in the case of the demographic of most owners here.

But it would be fairly blinkered to view things that way, we are all individuals after all, and there are enthusiasts myself included, who might occasionally wish to make rapid progress by driving spiritedly.

This of course is a trade off between functional performance and reliability, and to say otherwise is not true, however it is perfectly possible to enjoy a happy compromise.

The decision was made at the time to develop something to further enhance the driveability of the car without compromising reliability and allow the car to lift it's skirts once in a while if required, without creating a trail of unhappy owners with broken cars.

The cars themselves were never designed to be anything other than a test mule for the all new Bosch common rail technology, so if it all went horribly wrong it wouldn't reflect badly upon the parent company BMW.

Further to this the only reason R40 was fitted with the M47R and the output limited to 116PS and 270Nm as to not make the car a direct competitor for the E46.

When BMW divested themselves of Rover Group, the first thing the newly formed company did was to launch a touring version of the car and up the output in some models from 116 to 131PS and up the torque output from 270 to 300 Nm.

You can ask anyone who has driven both variants that even this modest increase in power is very noticeable.

So why did Rover not increase the power further? there are a few good reasons although it was of course technically possible to do so.

The main reason was type approval, it would not have been possible to obtain EU3 emission approval even with the development of a new generation of DDE4 with output greater than that offered by the original XPower diesel tune upgrade.

So given that originally an upgrade from 116 to 131 in XPower format cost in the region of £500, it was an option few actually chose.

It is a personal choice of course, and there is room for either type of tune, or indeed none at all.......it is not possible to please everybody all of the time, or indeed some of the time, or in extreme cases not at all.

Some people will be happy to accept that by effectively "overclocking" a car will result in better performance and accept this will also have a detrimental effect upon reliability, others not so, or others who simply don't care one way or the other as they're perfectly happy with the car as it left the factory.

Finally Hodgy's tourer which achieved 170 BHP and 360Nm on the dyno run previously mentioned, had a manual boost controller and the wastegate modified to prevent overboost from popping the intercooler hoses, and was being run in conjunction with a synergy 2.

The tune installed in the car was written by Darkside Developments, which brings this post nicely to it's conclusion.

Here is a link to explain how to read a dyno printout, something you and I may not need, but will provide valuable insight to people not familiar, the text being especially pertinent

LINK

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 21:06   #54
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

This thread must be leaving people confused about what is possible to safely achieve
on a diesel let alone achieve.

May be there should be a meeting between Jamie and one of the 160 remap guys each supplying a diesel car.
Both cars have Jamie's remap and then a dyno test and both cars are given the 160 remap we generally talk about and again the cars dyno tested. Video both cars tests and see where we go.

I feel silly suggesting it but how else to put this to bed?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2020, 21:09   #55
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
This thread must be leaving people confused about what is possible to safely achieve
on a diesel let alone achieve.

May be there should be a meeting between Jamie and one of the 160 remap guys each supplying a diesel car.
Both cars have Jamie's remap and then a dyno test and both cars are given the 160 remap we generally talk about and again the cars dyno tested. Video both cars tests and see where we go.

I feel silly suggesting it but how else to put this to bed?

macafee2
I’ve offered a free dyno run on a 160 mapped car a few times and no one takes it up . I wouldn’t be able to supply a car of my own though as I no longer own a Rover, but I know someone who wouldn’t mind using theirs.

In all seriousness, if someone with a 160 car does want a dyno run with both maps and is local to the Midlands drop me a PM.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote