Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th April 2021, 10:35   #21
smudge.g
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDTi Connie SE

I had a spring go whilst driving up our track in my Megane quite a few years back, destroyed the tyre but I had to get it home so as to not block the farm track.

Whe 2 springs went on my Tourer, the car hadnt moved but I think the cricial part was that they both ocurred following a really cold spell, which seems to play a big part in the occurence of these breaks. Never happened in summer. The tyre protetors that I hadnt fitted yet were hastily installed thereafter!! No problem this year, so far, with -16 for a few nights back in Feb. brrrrr.
My 75 Tourer CDTi was born Saturday, 21st June 2003 @ 09:50

My 75 was the 18,749th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
It was the 195th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 2,074
and the 1,789th 75 Tourer in Wedgewood Blue Metallic (code: JEL) to be made out of 1,871 Wedgewood Blue Metallic 75 Tourers
smudge.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 15:33   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
... I think the crucial part was that they both occurred following a really cold spell, which seems to play a big part in the occurence of these breaks.

I've noticed this too Gary. When mine broke it was following freezing temperatures making three of us within about a week.

Simon
Old 8th April 2021, 18:45   #23
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

Default Spring - Xpart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Steve,

Send an e-mail direct to X-Part or try a phone call, the number's still 0116 296 7888 despite the move to Birmingham. Obviously they have access to the official parts guide and you can buy genuine parts directly from them. That's what I did. The service was excellent and actually cheaper than a well known national parts retailer!

Simon
Thanks Simon, I'll give them a try

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2021, 18:58   #24
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
You will always have a spare spring close to hand

Could this be the answer.

Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 09:45   #25
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

I have had a front spring break on a Renault 5 and I did not even know of it until it was picked up on an MOT. Regards the front springs for our Rover 75s, I emailed Quinton Hazell about them in 2013 after I bought a pair on ebay to keep as spares for my 1.8. My query was as follows:

Hello,

Re Quinton Hazell part QSS3158 - A front suspension spring for a Rover 75 1.8.

I recently bought this part new from the eBay shop of Premier Motor Factors in Aldridge but it did not come in a retail box, it came bubble wrapped in a plain brown cardboard box with no obvious means that I can see of authenticating the part. Only the part number QSS3158 printed on a label on the box links it to Quinton Hazell but there is no barcode so I don't trust it to be your label. Also, although new the part itself is covered in dust giving the impression that it has stood for some time before being packaged and this adds to my lack of trust in the part. Is there anyway of checking from looking at a spring that it is genuine Quinton Hazell? I would also like to check if possible that it is QSS3158 and not QSS3159 which the seller also lists on eBay for the Rover 75 V6. The part I've received has a yellow and a purple paint mark which I suspect is a colour code for the spring. A number is also cast into the top of the spring and it looks to be AS0449A04 - though the S could possibly be a 5 and the two zeros possibly the letter O.

I would be very grateful for any help that you might be able to give with this, as I'm sure others would be too on a number of car forums who are awaiting the outcome of this.

Many thanks in advance,

Steve Cxxxxx. (x=redacted)
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 13:01   #26
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quinton Hazell kindly and interestingly replied as follows:

Hello Steve

With regards to your coil spring question, please see below the spec for each spring, they are both for a Rover 75, the QSS3158 for the 1.8 & 1.8 Turbo (Std suspension) and the QSS3159 is for the 2.0 and 2.5. The springs should be cylindrical with one end having a smaller diameter. We have no relationship with the previous supplier of springs, however, the colour coding is purely a manufacturing mark. I am aware that the old Technical Manager of QH was working closely with Premier in Aldridge in the months following the collapse of the old QH, and I would suggest that the parts posted on Ebay would have been correctly advertised.

Hope this helps.

WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2021, 16:32   #27
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Broke a n/s front spring today on the 75 tourer as I pulled off the forecourt of the garage where my car had just passed it's MOT .
Heard it go bang, pulled over and took a peek - luckily the spring protector had done it's job and I was able to nurse it home without drama.
Bizarrely although I've essentially lost one coil off the spring the car still sits dead level and there are no unusual noises from that corner when driving (uneven country lanes all the way home).
If the spring had broken half an hour earlier I would have had the first MOT fail with this car since I've owned it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0693.jpg (134.8 KB, 27 views)
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 02:24   #28
JSS
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1999 LHD Dealer launch car 100532

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
luckily the spring protector had done it's job and I was able to nurse it home without drama.
Bizarrely although I've essentially lost one coil off the spring the car still sits dead level and there are no unusual noises from that corner when driving
Same happened to me yesterday, when car was stationary on parking lot.

JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 06:25   #29
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS View Post
Same happened to me yesterday, when car was stationary on parking lot.

Looks like your tyre protector did it's job as well,
both of our springs appear to have broken in the same place!
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 06:48   #30
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
... both of our springs appear to have broken in the same place!
Hi Paul,

My OS also broke at the lowermost coil but the NS was at the very top. In both cases however the powder coating wasn't present at the site of the fracture.

Simon