Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th April 2021, 19:01   #101
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear View Post
Where is the logic in this? Is this a n emissions issue or a revenue raising exercise?
Sadly I think all these schemes are just an excuse to raise revenue, they are unlikely to use any of this cash to make a difference.

Oxford is talking about introducing a scheme for polluting vehicles, my van will get charged but luckily I only visit the city once a week so I will just pay the charge as this will cost me less than a new van. A friend who visits Bristol a couple of times a week has the same attitude and he is just going to pass the charges on to his customers.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 19:33   #102
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Pushing the traffic to outskirts shopping centres and turning town centres into ghost towns full of charity and betting shops. The councils may have a rethink once they see their revenue stream disappear.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 19:38   #103
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
Where did you see the confirmation?
Local election stuff.

All parties are saying it’s a done deal.

I live in Bristol, so I asked the question of all the doorstep persons that have been round.
Old 18th April 2021, 19:39   #104
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
As far as I've read it's still not been confirmed by government & is still penned in to start in Oct 21.

Even Matchbox are going emissions free now https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...green-by-2030/
All the parties in the local elections are saying it is a done deal.
Old 18th April 2021, 21:15   #105
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

As mentioned, its a “done deal “ until the city centres have empty shops because they have no customers, no more revenue for the council,people will just go to where it is easy to get to without paying extra money.
Happened over here with some local councils thinking they could make more money slapping extra parking fees in the city centre. People just went else where then the shops started shutting down and the council then still runs around trying to figure out what went wrong, blaming everything but their stupid ideas.
I understand their ideological push for cleaner air but they are making the public pay for it, not them, they still receive their weekly tax payer funded wages unlike the many businesses owners their desicions will impact.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 21:58   #106
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
The Ultra low emission scheme due in London in October 2021 still bans (or charges) LPG cars if their original emission levels burning petrol are above the threshold. Where is the logic in this? Is this a n emissions issue or a revenue raising exercise? What is the position of other cities on LPG cars?

The logic is simple - if run on petrol they pollute excessively and there isn't any way the authorities can ensure they run on gas when in the ULEZ.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 22:05   #107
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Its all irrelevant when you compare what India / China and the Usa pump out of their power stations weekly, its just an excuse for the motorist to bolster the coffers of the local council.
Old 19th April 2021, 00:22   #108
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Its all irrelevant when you compare what India / China and the Usa pump out of their power stations weekly, its just an excuse for the motorist to bolster the coffers of the local council.
I had to laugh, read an article about the spat the US and China are having as the US is trying to get china (worlds biggest polluter) to stop building more coal fired power stations citing that the US is now reducing its emissions (23 percent) and china is responsible for about 40 percent of pollution and chinas reply was that
as the US had been the biggest polluter over previous years , it wasnt fair that china had to now comply- i think there missing the big picture,china cant see the wood for the trees- literally!!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 07:02   #109
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

It was recently announced that China’s economy has grown 18%, you could probably fit the whole of the UK economy into that figure. Can you imagine the energy used from just that 18%? Basically here in the west we can’t get enough of them. On one hand we wring our hands and spout about saving the planet and on the other click buy Amazon
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2021, 07:37   #110
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
The Ultra low emission scheme due in London in October 2021 still bans (or charges) LPG cars if their original emission levels burning petrol are above the threshold. Where is the logic in this? Is this a n emissions issue or a revenue raising exercise? What is the position of other cities on LPG cars?
Surely it is not just LPG but also Hybrid under the scope on this issue.

One could drive on the electric motors/battery whilst in the zone(s) but use the petrol engine (or diesel) driving to the zone(s). However, how does the camera know which mode one is in? As for LPG, the govt. only gave a £10 VED reduction initially (I haven't checked to see if that is still the case. LPG should, in my opinion, be on par with electric or worst case between electric and petrol charges!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote