Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st May 2021, 13:46   #1
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts
Default Sale of bagged coal & wet wood restricted

Blimey! Log burning owners beware https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56949426
"Curbs on the sale of house coal and wet wood for household burning in England have come into force under new rules aimed at cutting air pollution."

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 13:59   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I rarely burn logs in my wood burner, scrap pallets, left over materials and anything else that will combust.

What will happen next, will the police be flying over our houses in the winter to see who is emitting smoke?

I got it that something needs to be done but when the rest of world is doing little or nothing why are we making our lives more difficult?

They will be a ban on charcoal BBQ's next.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 16:16   #3
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

All very nice but I wonder what I and our neighbours are supposed to use?

There is no mains gas so simply changing the boiler and linking in to the existing heating isn't possible.

There is bottled gas - if you fancy a second mortgage to buy it and can get all the relevant permissions for storage etc.

There is oil but that's hardly the way forward is it? We'd be ripping out one form of pollution for another one which is probably just as bad.

There's electric but as the property is close on 200 years old it's not quite a simple as it sounds. Which also makes heat source/ground source practically impossible.

And then there's domestic coal - which, apparently, we can't buy anymore. Although maybe we could buy 2 cubic metres - that'll look pretty on the front lawn - I'm sure no one will mind .

It'll be nippy over the Winter .

Oh, and how is it more efficient when we'll have to buy all new stuff which, presumably, creates no pollution in getting the raw materials, transporting them to be refined and manufactured, getting the products to the shops and out to us to be installed. And then paying probably more for the privileged of being as warm as we are already.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 1st May 2021 at 16:20..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 17:01   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

A log burner in a room really does heat the room well but wood takes so long to grow I cant see it as sustainable.
My daughter has been lucky and has picked up for free a couple of years worth of wood and corrugated roofing plus pallet's to make a log store as well as a log store as well.
I think only this last week my neighbour had coal delivered

Selling new gas and oil burners to be fazed out, wood burning is not really sustainable.
Solar is expensive to install.
what price saving our planet?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 17:38   #5
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Scotland lagging behind atm on this subject, but is up for discussion too by the sound of it. State interference to appease the green zealots will cause an equal and opposite reaction somewhere that will have other knock on effects. It’s like a race to get back to caveman days.

Should point out that the wood I purchase for my burner is already dried and users can continue to use that I believe. Banning Coal is a joke though. On the majority of days in April the UK had to burn it to keep up with the energy requirements when wind power was doing diddly squat. All this will do is drive up prices for the users, still at least that wee dwarf in Sweden will be happy.

Meanwhile the Chinese continue to open up new coal mines to feed their 18% growth since the covid collapse. Makes our gesture look pitiful.
Try purchasing “clean” solar panels? Made by coal and using up finite resources to boot.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...-di-alexander/

Last edited by Lovel; 1st May 2021 at 17:46..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 17:57   #6
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
There is no mains gas so simply changing the boiler and linking in to the existing heating isn't possible.

There is bottled gas - if you fancy a second mortgage to buy it and can get all the relevant permissions for storage etc.
We're on bottled gas, no mains supply. When I first moved here with my folks it was a coal fire with boiler behind it, dirty, expensive and a high wind in the right direction would create a draft up the chimney and actually boil the water at night, sounded like somebody hitting a bass drum in the lounge Many a time had to get up during the night to run some hot water and cool everything down.

Maybe 30 years ago my parents made enquiries about mains gas, would cost tens of thousands to get a line in from the main to the cottages. Three of the four cottages were up for it, the owner of the fourth wasn't. Nobody wanted to shell out that kind of money for the remaining cottage to tie in at a later date for a fraction of the cost. The current owner of the remaining cottage has recently gone to gas, has a storage tank in the garden, wasn't an option here, nowhere on the property was far enough from the house. Before gas he was persuaded to install some all singing all dancing electric system . . . . it added £400+ a MONTH to his electric bill and kept blowing up meters! Running the heating on bottled gas isn't cheap during the winter but you make up for it during the summer where its only needed for hot water.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 21:24   #7
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

There was talk about a Hydrogen powered heating/cooking system a couple of years ago that used the existing gas mains system to distribute the fuel but this seems to have gone silent recently.

As much as electric seems to be being pushed I wonder once the powers that are in charge at the time when we start running out will realise they have made a mistake.

You only have to look at decisions like pushing diesel cars several years later are realised are bad decisions.

I agree most of us can use an electric for a lot of stuff but there is not an exhaustible supply of Lithium and of course how are we going to charge all these batteries?

We need in my opinion a structered approach to clean energy.

Electric for small items makes sense but hydrogen fuel cells make a lot more sense and the hydrogen can be sourced from splitting water with wind powered farms.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 21:25   #8
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

We only have a small open fire at home, that is the only heat source (other than a plug in fire if it gets really cold), we can't burn wood , our insurance prohibits it as the roof is thatched and the building is wooden framed.
We don't have mains gas (or water) and as we live over half a mile from any buildings with main supply, the price of connecting up is prohibitive.
We have an emersion heater we use in the warmer months for hot water, as the open fire has a back boiler when we use it in colder weather we get 'free' hot water (although we do have to keep as eye on it and run off some water if the system gets too hot!).
The only option we realistically have would be electric heating, but as our cottage is 400 odd years old and listed that would not be practical.
I guess we will continue to burn (smokeless) coal and as we are 'out in the sticks' hope that no one notices!
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:53   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
There was talk about a Hydrogen powered heating/cooking system a couple of years ago that used the existing gas mains system to distribute the fuel but this seems to have gone silent recently.

As much as electric seems to be being pushed I wonder once the powers that are in charge at the time when we start running out will realise they have made a mistake.

You only have to look at decisions like pushing diesel cars several years later are realised are bad decisions.

I agree most of us can use an electric for a lot of stuff but there is not an exhaustible supply of Lithium and of course how are we going to charge all these batteries?

We need in my opinion a structered approach to clean energy.

Electric for small items makes sense but hydrogen fuel cells make a lot more sense and the hydrogen can be sourced from splitting water with wind powered farms.

Germany has been building Geo-thermal power stations & geologist have found enough boiling hot lithium to supply 400 million BEV's Two birds with one stone or what! Kerching. https://todaynewspost.com/auto-news/...e-rhine-river/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2021, 08:12   #10
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsafly View Post
The only option we realistically have would be electric heating, but as our cottage is 400 odd years old and listed that would not be practical.
I guess we will continue to burn (smokeless) coal and as we are 'out in the sticks' hope that no one notices!
I wonder if HM Govt will pay the costs of converting properties where coal is the primary heat source including the costs of, say, bringing power from the Grid. There can't be that many of us, surely?

So nothing for those who have a fire for aesthetic reasons and have another way of heating their home.

Let me guess - No.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 2nd May 2021 at 08:14..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote