Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th May 2021, 19:50   #31
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
So what about independence for the Shetland isles or Aberdeenshire, come to think of it let’s give everyone independence in minutiae. The problem is the rural communities are dominated by the decisions of masses in the central belt, and one could argue what do they do for us, certainly decisions are taken not in our favour.
Eventually there will be another vote for independence, when who knows but I can assure you that there are a lot of quiet folks that don’t have delusions of Mel Gibsons Braveheart in their minds that will step up to vote on the day. The independence dudes are generally all shouty and get the most coverage on media unfortunately.

Come on HMG beat them to it. Call an independence vote for England that will put the Mel Gibsons fans on the back foot.
I believe most of the islands (not being Scottish origin) voted for Brexit and against independence. If so, will they be allowed to stay within the UK or will they be sold down the river as just a minority?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 21:12   #32
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
Made the comment as your profile says Forgingbridge, which is in the SE, unless its moved. https://www.visitsoutheastengland.co...bridge-p647141
Just thought it would be better to compare the statistics of your own district with Bonnie Scotland instead of your next door neighbours for all to scrutinise. Just saying like.
The difference is even more dramatic if you do compare the SE Region with Scotland. Based on the same Country an regional analysis data from the National Statistics Office:-

Scotland is £11,566 spend per head

U.K. Average is £9,895

SW is £9,193

And SE is lower still at £8,919

That’s actually 29.67% LESS funding per head than Scotland. NEARLY 30% GREATER FUNDING PER HEAD FOR SCOTLAND!

As for where I live - if you look at the map - Hampshire has a thin spur that extends across the top of Dorset and under Wiltshire such that Fordingbridge is further West than about 50% of Wiltshire and Further to the West than Bournmouth. My post code is SP6 which is a Salisbury Wiltshire code and Ringwood just to the South of us has a BH23 post code that is a Bournemouth Dorset Code.

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make really - given the fact that if I wanted to make a more extreme point then the data from the SE would have been even more dramatic.

But the main point is a business one - where I live is pretty irrelevant if my business was in the SW
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 21:27   #33
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I believe most of the islands (not being Scottish origin) voted for Brexit and against independence. If so, will they be allowed to stay within the UK or will they be sold down the river as just a minority?

Kev
At the last Independence vote only 4 of the thirty odd regions actually voted for Independence.

Dundee City
Glasgow
North Lanarkshire (slimmest of margins)
West Dunbartonshire

I think the SNP had better make a far better job of presenting the benefits of Independence at the next referendum than they did at the last.
Old 12th May 2021, 21:43   #34
Darcydog
This is my second home

Default Shetlands seek Independence from Scotland

The situation in Jersey has been in the news of late. And it does underline the Status that Jersey has with the U.K. in that Jersey is not part of the U.K. but is a self governing dependency of the Crown.

Guernsey and the Isle of Man are the same. It would be fascinating to consider the reaction if the U.K. entered into negotiations with the Shetlands to grant Crown Dependency status.....
Old 13th May 2021, 20:17   #35
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
The situation in Jersey has been in the news of late. And it does underline the Status that Jersey has with the U.K. in that Jersey is not part of the U.K. but is a self governing dependency of the Crown.

Guernsey and the Isle of Man are the same. It would be fascinating to consider the reaction if the U.K. entered into negotiations with the Shetlands to grant Crown Dependency status.....
I think that is what the government should offer if the islands still vote against independence. This should also apply to Yorkshire

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 13th May 2021 at 20:18.. Reason: missing words
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2021, 07:07   #36
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
I think that is what the government should offer if the islands still vote against independence. This should also apply to Yorkshire

Kev
Why not?

As for the Shetlands and Orkneys - their route to possible independence from Scotland should Scotland leave the Union was set out in the “Jo Grimond Referendum” back in 1978 - and it still stands as an option.

Scottish Devolution was on the cards but this did not sit well with the Islanders. The Islanders voted by 89.9% to keep this option open.

And what is happening to Jersey regarding fishing seems to have hit a nerve with the Shetlands and the Orkneys. Not least because of their huge fishing industry and how Brexit gives them back control and the very LAST thing the Islanders want is for an Independent Scotland to shove them back into the EU fishing quota system.

So being a Crown Dependency like the Channel Islands looks attractive. As a Crown Dependency, they like The CI’s would come under the protection of the U.K. but even when the U.K. was in the EU, the CI’s (and the IoM) were not.

And it seems that Shetland in particular does not like how it is being run by Scotland at the moment. In a recent interview Malcolm Bell of the Shetland Islands Council said that “Edinburgh had both gained powers from London and sucked them from Scottish local councils. - Shetland has lost control of Public Health, its water utilities, its Police and Fire Services.”

“ The SNP’s power-grab has been relentless “ he said.

The latest thing to upset the Islanders is the SNP’s move to centralise air traffic control to Inverness so there will be cameras not human beings in the control towers at the Northern Isles Airports.

There are many examples of autonomy for Islands - not just our CI’s and the IoM.
The Faroe Islands is an Autonomous Territory of Denmark. Also the Aland Islands are an autonomous region of Finland.

And then of course - there is the Falklands......