Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd May 2021, 07:25   #31
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marimasse View Post
Hydrogen can certainly be more convenient and effective, as a "container" for electric energy, than batteries. At least in theory. Provided that the huge amounts of electric energy needed to "produce" hydrogen (which does not exist as a separate substance in nature) come from renewables.

It should not be forgotten, in fact, that "hydrogen cars" are still... electric cars, in which electricity is not taken from batteries but obtained by "disassembling" hydrogen inside the so called "fuel-cells".

Unfortunately, even the use of hydrogen involves problems that are not easy to solve, related to high pressures, low temperatures and high flammability.
Yeah, if you crashed your hydrogen car it really would blow up, like they do in the movies

With today's safety culture, that is a difficult risk to mitigate.
Old 26th May 2021, 20:10   #32
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Having driven my son's Tesla I have to say that the lack of engine noise is more than made up by the blistering acceleration.
Probably not for the pedestrian?

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2021, 20:49   #33
bsafly
Just going about!

Rover 75 CDTi Connie SE Tourer starlight silver and serpents. MG ZT-T 190+ in Raven Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Having driven my son's Tesla I have to say that the lack of engine noise is more than made up by the blistering acceleration.
Nah, sorry - if it hasn't got an internal combustion engine I am just not interested, no matter how fast it may be!
bsafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2021, 16:12   #34
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Without coming over all political, I think you will have more of a problem with oblivion than we will now that we have left the EU.

Here in the UK the powers that be historically don't tend to worry too much about a few older vehicles being on the roads which comply to neither current safety or emission standards - a quintessentially British attitude.

Sadly I can't see Ursula Von Der Leyen putting up with any of that old malarky.

Hope I am wrong though.,

It isn't looking rosy! Ursula has got the knives out for fossil fuels Big change in emission standards coming in July with the buzz word 'Fit for 55' which refers to tightening the emission standards even further from the present 30% to 55%
Transport is being included in the ETS (emissions trading system) for the first time ever & the price for carbon credits are soaring for Transport & buildings
Gas central heating for buildings will be included in the ETS which will see heating costs spiral.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/emi...arm-than-good/

Environmental lawyers for friends of the earth Europe have just won an historic high court case against Royal Dutch Shell to slash it's emissions by 45% by 2030 How do you decarbonise a refinery? other petrol companies are in their sights too.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/ene...-court-ruling/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote