Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th June 2021, 15:06   #11
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Mm, I think that's a bit hard . . . Seems to me a simple improvement in one less job to think about. Isn't the oil filtered enough when it goes through the larger oil filter + of course the fuel filter + whatever filtration Mr Shell etc does before we humble motorists get to buy it?
If the filter gets blocked then there is something it is cleaning from the oil
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 15:27   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I am also an advocate for the filter type i change mine every 12 months without fail, for the cost changed one on a local members car a few days ago.

Another on i changed back in 2015 this is what you should never let the pCV filter get like
In the last picture, it looks like it is the original ‘cotton reel’ filter?I have still got my cotton reel and it is washed out in white spirit, dried, and put back in each time I change the newer type.I think the older filter is better, and does a better job than the later sponge one.
Old 7th June 2021, 17:53   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
I don't see how filtering as much as you can out of the oil can be a bad thing. Especially since they cost pence really. Should people argue about how the BMW engines are also supposed to run fully synthetic oil rather than semi synthetic that Rover suggests.

If people are put off spending an additional £10-£15 every 2-3 years on servicing they shouldn't really be running a car.
So would you suggest fitting them to the K series engines as well then? As I said before they were never designed to be a filter. The oil has its own separate filter which works perfectly well.

As for oil, no need to argue but we can have the discussion if you want. At the same time that Rover were recommending semi-synthetic oil for the M47R Land Rover were recommending fully synthetic oil for the TD4. Pretty much the same engine but not so strange when you look at it in detail as the TD4 used a variable vane turbocharger - as did BMW.

I have run an M47R on semi-synthetic oil, replaced every 15k miles as per the maintenance schedule for the last 413k miles, and nothing lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced, so it works for me.

Quote:
If the filter gets blocked then there is something it is cleaning from the oil
Yes true enough, but probably only combustion by-products that have passed between the piston rings and cylinder bores, so pretty small if not microscopic. And as they are combustion by-products you'd likely get more of them entering the engine every time the EGR opens than the amount rising in the oil mist from the sump up to the top of the engine where the PCV sits.

I didn't hear anything about the PCV problems until my car had covered around 130k miles, and it wasn't blocked then. I did what Steve did - rinsed it clean and refitted it a few times.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 7th June 2021 at 18:58..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 18:19   #14
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
It isn't a fit and forget part, you're still supposed to clean it out. Just means you won't have to buy another.

I'm with Trikey on this one. A filter is better than no filter . Nothing wrong with the Vortex, but I prefer a filter on my Range Rover with the M57
It is not a filter!, neither does it fulfil any filtering role, it is a strainer of oil vapour, it simply collects oil vapour which is prevented from venting into the environment, it has a defined service life, after which it needs to be replaced
, otherwise it will become blocked and eventually the engine will either go south or if you are lucky the oil will start to issue from the dipstick.
Therefore BMW, decided to replace the system with a vortex type which is more efficient, it is a 60K service item, THE ENTIRE cassette, not just the vortex, however the vortex can still be cleaned out and reused, the cassette does not serve any function in OUR cars, but does in certain BMW applications, therefore they change the entire item come service time, and charge you accordingly!, Rover in their infinite wisdom did not even list this as a service item ( they probably thought it was a fit and forget item!).
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 21:16   #15
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
So would you suggest fitting them to the K series engines as well then? As I said before they were never designed to be a filter. The oil has its own separate filter which works perfectly well.

As for oil, no need to argue but we can have the discussion if you want. At the same time that Rover were recommending semi-synthetic oil for the M47R Land Rover were recommending fully synthetic oil for the TD4. Pretty much the same engine but not so strange when you look at it in detail as the TD4 used a variable vane turbocharger - as did BMW.

I have run an M47R on semi-synthetic oil, replaced every 15k miles as per the maintenance schedule for the last 413k miles, and nothing lubricated by the oil has ever been replaced, so it works for me.

Yes true enough, but probably only combustion by-products that have passed between the piston rings and cylinder bores, so pretty small if not microscopic. And as they are combustion by-products you'd likely get more of them entering the engine every time the EGR opens than the amount rising in the oil mist from the sump up to the top of the engine where the PCV sits.

I didn't hear anything about the PCV problems until my car had covered around 130k miles, and it wasn't blocked then. I did what Steve did - rinsed it clean and refitted it a few times.

I’m done arguing. Fit a vortex if you want. Or fit an original item if you want.

I’d suggest you look at the turbo differences between the freelander and the BMW . The freelander is an ecu controlled wastegate, it isn’t VNT . Look at the cartridge in the link below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284096405540
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2021, 08:25   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I'm perfectly aware of the differences - the point I was making was that M47R has a different type of turbo than that fitted to both the Freelander and the M47 in BMWs, and that could be a possible reason semi synhetic oil was originally specified for the 75.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote